Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinister tension in the air

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

Why do people think that those who don't freak out and panic or question certain guidelines or don't blindly and aggressively yield to contradictory directives are being "cool and edgy" or as another poster put it "being a self-proclaimed rebel".

Right now governments and businesses are licking their lips and salivating on how they can capitalise on this crisis and we ought to be looking at that. More rights will be taken away and they will not be restored once this virus has run its course.

What's your next ad hominem for me? That I'm a "tinfoiler"?

Are you seriously suggesting governments are trying to crash their economies and destroy the lives of their citizens?
    Do even you believe businesses are looking forward to closing and are salivating at the prospect of their wealth being destroyed? For example, how is Michael O’Leary, still the largest shareholder in Ryanair going to benefit by ending all flights next week?
    How are governments going to benefit by destroying the pension savings of their population?

Raconteuse wrote: »
    That's hilarious about the bargain box of Corona. :D

I brought the box of corona to the till and the handle broke and the box fell to the floor. The guy at the till asked if any broke, I looked down, expected to see a puddle of beer forming but there was none. Another shop assistant brought over another box and took that one away and said "Jaysus, that corona is unstoppable".

The teller and I burst out laughing. Not a hilarious joke, but the absurdity of the situation just made us laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Jizique wrote: »
    Are you seriously suggesting governments are trying to crash their economies and destroy the lives of their citizens?
    Do even you believe businesses are looking forward to closing and are salivating at the prospect of their wealth being destroyed? For example, how is Michael O’Leary, still the largest shareholder in Ryanair going to benefit by ending all flights next week?
    How are governments going to benefit by destroying the pension savings of their population?
    I know. The absurd things these folk say which they think make them look so intelligent, have the opposite effect, as they involve no thought whatsoever.

I brought the box of corona to the till and the handle broke and the box fell to the floor. The guy at the till asked if any broke, I looked down, expected to see a puddle of beer forming but there was none. Another shop assistant brought over another box and took that one away and said "Jaysus, that corona is unstoppable".

The teller and I burst out laughing. Not a hilarious joke, but the absurdity of the situation just made us laugh.
    :D excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Governments want to arrogate power to themselves - economics has nothing to do with it.

Ask yourself:

Will the gov. be repealing their power to detain people without trial and restrict them from travel after this virus is mostly-eradicated? Will boards posters apart from myself and one or two others be looking for them to do so?

No they will not, because the threat of “microbial enemies” (as the Lord Mayor Dublin so eloquently put it) will remain in our minds as an ever-present danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

What sort of snowflakes would get bothered by strictness regarding social distancing being enforced by anyone (no, hardly just middle aged women) when they are people having to work near a lot of people every day in essential services and then returning home to family and possibly a member or members with health conditions such as cancer, asthma, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, or who are very old or undergoing chemo, or pregnant.

There are some selfish, edgy "I'm all right Jack" folk here who seem contented with the idea of actively helping to spread the virus.

It's showing no sign of abating in Europe - all it is is spreading rapidly (but this is just hysteria apparently) - so you never know what the death toll could be ultimately but something something about the figures for a previous illness (which wasn't a pandemic). Can only hope hot weather in African/middle eastern/South Asian countries is stopping it gaining a foothold there.

And the sticking it to the man stuff about people being on power trips (a charming dig at security guards too) or model state subjects. Yeah, that's the only reason for it. There's no issue really.

Imagine still being in that much denial about a pandemic/potentially deadly illness. Thank goodness for their edginess and cool attitood - that'll really see us through.

Nobody said social distancing can always be completely avoided by the way - obviously that's impossible - so therefore it should always be put in practice when it is possible. Pigheadedness is the only reason not to. OP why are you waiting for a lockdown? Do you need to be told what to do or not to do instead of taking the initiative yourself?

The majority of people are being great, which actually lends itself to a positive atmosphere imo. The hostility is only being caused by people who won't co-operate.

And no OP, you do not feel like you're living in nazi Germany. Jesus Christ.

Just reading this knee-jerk, pus-soaked drivel is enough to sicken the pigs. True to form the first paragraph is the token moral fingerpointing, emotional blackmail bollocks that is always employed when an entrenched position is under attack.

Snowflake. Nice touch.

And you think someone who questions these restrictions is now somehow actively "content to spread the virus"? What the fcuk are you on about? The same stupid line that goes with everything when someone questions authority or doesn't immediately follow the herd. You question torture at Gitmo..."Oh you're a terrorist sympathiser!". You question a 2m distancing stipulation over a virus .. "Oh...you're content to actively SPREAD the disease!"

Would you ever listen to your bloviating. FCUKING HELL.

Now telling us what will happen in the future.

People can be detained without trial?

This thread became so much more pleasant once I blocked a certain former Minister of Justice.

Its a prediction. I hope its wrong.

Emergency legislation to detain people was passed the other day. It was on the front page of the IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Jizique

growleaves wrote: »
    Governments want to arrogate power to themselves - economics has nothing to do with it.

Ask yourself:

Will the gov. be repealing their power to detain people without trial and restrict them from travel after this virus is mostly-eradicated? Will boards posters apart from myself and one or two others be looking for them to do so?

No they will not, because the threat of “microbial enemies” (as the Lord Mayor Dublin so eloquently put it) will remain in our minds as an ever-present danger.

Keep going - businesses please?

• Advertisement

Keep going - businesses please?

Another poster mentioned businesses.

BanditLuke wrote: »
    If anyone doesn't know at this stage how serious this is they deserve to be spoken to like fcuking fools, kids included. Patience was for 2 weeks ago and I've absolutely no time for it now. Well done the shop boss.

No, the time was 4 months ago when it broke in China.

They got a handle on it thanks to the medical teams from Cuba and Interferon Alpha 2B.

Usual arrogance.

Their lives are returning to normal whilst we are all here like caged rats bickering about kids in a friggin sweet shop not observing the distance rule. They issued multiple warnings GLOBALLY about this. But what do the Chinese OR the Cubans know? They're just a bunch or rice eating commies.

South Korea and Singapore who also took quick and proactive action are returning to business as usual.

So don't say the time for patience was 2 weeks ago.

Just reading this knee-jerk, pus-soaked drivel is enough to sicken the pigs. True to form the first paragraph is the token moral fingerpointing, emotional blackmail bollocks that is always employed when an entrenched position is under attack.

Snowflake. Nice touch.

And you think someone who questions these restrictions is now somehow actively "content to spread the virus"? What the fcuk are you on about? The same stupid line that goes with everything when someone questions authority or doesn't immediately follow the herd. You question torture at Gitmo..."Oh you're a terrorist sympathiser!". You question a 2m distancing stipulation over a virus .. "Oh...you're content to actively SPREAD the disease!"
    Don't get so upset by someone simply being realistic about the contagiousness of this potentially deadly virus.

Nobody takes issue with someone simply questioning something.

I don't take issue with questioning authority when there is reason to. I absolutely criticise torture at Guantanamo Bay. You're throwing out stuff apropos nothing.

You're making out that this is only an excuse for abuse of authority - as if there isn't an extremely good reason for the restrictions, some of which are being just asked of us, not implemented. You sneered at a pregnant woman, afraid of becoming infected, that she's a good little pawn. And then you suddenly endorse China's approach?

This thread became so much more pleasant once I blocked a certain former Minister of Justice.
    Beyond belief.

You're making out that this is only an excuse for abuse of authority - as if there isn't an extremely good reason for the restrictions, some of which are being just asked of us, not implemented.

There may not be an abuse of authority. It hasn't happened yet anyway but I tend to be sceptical by default.

I don't mind being proved wrong since what I'm worrying about is the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

Feels a bit like the shining out there at the moment. There is such a nervous energy, can see people turning on each other, or at least a certain type of person.

Saw a shop clerk boss around a few kids for not keeping social distancing. The tone was completely over the top. These kids don't know what's going on, some patience with them for fock sake.

These kids need to grow up,and where were their snowflake parents?

growleaves wrote: »
    Its a prediction. I hope its wrong.
    Please don't state it as fact. It's grossly dishonest. And you conspiracy theorist types who claim these restrictions are not to stem the spread of a potentially deadly virus but to control people use weak enough arguments as it is.

No, the time was 4 months ago when it broke in China.

They got a handle on it thanks to the medical teams from Cuba and Interferon Alpha 2B.

Usual arrogance.

Their lives are returning to normal whilst we are all here like caged rats bickering about kids in a friggin sweet shop not observing the distance rule. They issued multiple warnings GLOBALLY about this. But what do the Chinese OR the Cubans know? They're just a bunch or rice eating commies.

South Korea and Singapore who also took quick and proactive action are returning to business as usual.

So don't say the time for patience was 2 weeks ago.
    We are like caged rats (we aren't) but Chinese people weren't when measures were brought in to stem the spread there?

Please don't state is as fact. It's grossly dishonest. And you conspiracy theorist types who claim these restrictions are not to stem the spread of a potentially deadly virus but to control people use weak enough arguments as it is.

I didn't state it as a fact. I'm not claiming to possess a crystal ball.

I don't claim the restrictions aren't being used to stop the virus, I just would like the draconian powers to be put away afterwards.

You’re crying about having to stand 2m apart and you want to do what China did? :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Go on..I'll bite. Enlighten me.

• Advertisement

Go on..I'll bite. Enlighten me.
    You're complaining about authoritarianism but endorsing the (authoritarian) measures in China.

Not that complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

This Post is intentionally blank

Blaze420 wrote: »
    2 metres is there so even if you sneeze there’s some distance between you and whatever misfortune is near you. And normal influenza isn’t exactly landing 1000’s in ICU or killing them in the space of the days - stop comparing this to a flu because it is anything but.

Do coronavirus pathogens only exit the body during a sneeze or is regular exhaling a conduit?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No jury would convict you. At least not one I'm on and I've sent a lad down for murder.

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

how long before the rough crowd turn rabid and start looting????

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Could be like outbreak.
    The army already set up on south quays

sabat wrote: »
    The "can you spare two euro bud" crew around the city centre are already visibly agitated; I'm guessing because there's nobody around to scrounge off to buy zimmos and Karpackie. I expect there'll be an uptick of old fashioned petty crime or worse in the coming weeks.

Really?

And what do you base that on?

How much does crime go up during a storm when the dealers decide "fcukit Liamo! Let's stay home tonight."

Certainly an intriguing perspective whereby your thoughts are lying as to where drug users wull get not only their funding but their fixes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

There's a sinister tension in the air because those of us with half a brain who are following the social distancing advice are understandably nervous that the fate of thousands of peoples lives are the in the hands of the thick as sh1t muppets that are still not taking this seriously.

The sooner emergency law is passed so that these groups of idiots can be physically persuaded off the streets the better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A historic analogy is going from Phoney war to Blitz, as in WW2. The former phase was when people knew in theory there was a threat but saw no immediate impact on their lives. The latter, the bombs have dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

fryup wrote: »
    how long before the rough crowd turn rabid and start looting????

Its not looting when it's surviving!!

Advertisement