Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone notice that screw heads disintegrate with slight pressure

• 21-03-2020 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

Just seems that the quality of screw is that any standard Philips head screw seems to tear up with moderate to strong force. I was mounting some brackets to the walls today for different things and the screw heads started to tear up.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Torque setting too high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Rule of thumb for most tradesmen is to bin the screws that come with the item you are fitting. They are usually made cheaply, are soft and designed for a screwdriver & not a screw gun. Tradesmen buy boxes of 100 or more screws at the trade counter builders provider's. These will be a good quality screw. I hate to say it because they are an Irish business but screws from Woodies I'd never use. I assume B&q is the same but I haven't tried them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Rule of thumb for most tradesmen is to bin the screws that come with the item you are fitting. They are usually made cheaply, are soft and designed for a screwdriver & not a screw gun. Tradesmen buy boxes of 100 or more screws at the trade counter builders provider's. These will be a good quality screw. I hate to say it because they are an Irish business but screws from Woodies I'd never use. I assume B&q is the same but I haven't tried them.

I use boxes of screws of different sizes from B&Q for diy jobs around the house and garden and they do the job. It is certainly better if the right screwdriver bit is used though. I tend to use posidrive screws and bits and rarely have an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Just seems that the quality of screw is that any standard Philips head screw seems to tear up with moderate to strong force. I was mounting some brackets to the walls today for different things and the screw heads started to tear up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

The screws normally provided with shelves and brackets are cheap and nasty, invest in a selection of screws from your local hardware shop, also people use cheap inferior screwdrivers, buy a few good quality Stanley screwdrivers in different head sizes if you do a lot of DIY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Buy wood screws or similar....

Ones provided are rubbish as mentioned above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,044 ✭✭✭con747

Make sure you use the right sized Phillips head bit. A lot "fit" but are the wrong size for the screw.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Philips or Pozi drive?
    I don’t see many poor pozi drive screws but a lot of philips are cheap crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Woodies do sell Spax now when I don't think they did before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Woodies do sell Spax now when I don't think they did before.

In fairness I gave up buying screws in Woodies years ago. Once bitten twice shy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Phillips? Are you sure they aren't posi?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I use to have the same issue. Started using Robertson square screw heads. Excellent screws and screw bit never slips when tightening the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Amen to that, junk screws made from a mixture of resin and metal powders - Spax, GoldScrew, TurboGold, TIMCo = happy days.
    Phillips? Are you sure they aren't posi?

Or vice versa - so often the junk screws that come with a fixture are Phillips so a Posidrive will just cam out of that out of date nightmare of a standard! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Wow, was fitting some hardware today that came with it's own screw fixings- after shearing off the second screw head I asked myself "why do they always include crap quality screws with these things?". What do manufacturers save, must be pretty miniscule,regardless of scale- talk about contempt for the customer/ end user!

Advertisement