Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etd.sys

Options
  • 21-03-2020 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Trying to fix nieces laptop. When booting get error message irql less or not equal. Etd.sys..
    I can't even boot into safe mode. I did full reset and it worked but as soon as I restarted it happened again. Im now resetting again but is there anything I should do if I get it going again to stop this happening. Would I be better doing a full install off USB key.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Open command prompt from Advanced options, type and hit Enter after each line:

c:
    cd windows\system32\drivers
    ren etd.sys etd.sys.old
    exit

restart computer

If issue persist, you might need to disable driver update from Windows Update and install driver manually from manufacturer site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

c:
    ren etd.sys etd.sys.old
    exit

restart computer

If issue persist, you might need to disable driver update from Windows Update and install driver manually from manufacturer site.

That was one of the first things I tried and when I restarted the file was back. I.e etd.sys was listed in system32. I did a fresh install with Windows 10 media creation tool and it seems to be fine now. Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

c:
    ren etd.sys etd.sys.old
    exit

restart computer

That was one of the first things I tried and when I restarted the file was back. I.e etd.sys was listed in system32. I did a fresh install with Windows 10 media creation tool and it seems to be fine now. Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Its expected that driver reappear - it is needed for your keyboard/touch pad.
    Problem could be created by Windows update pulling in Windows driver or driver corruption

As mentioned, if issue persist(and it most likely will, after you get updates), consider disable that in group policy...
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

Advertisement