Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we have stopped this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

timhenn wrote: »
    Being ahead of the uk is nothing to shout about. fg were asleep at the wheel, we'll all suffer for it.

They weren't even supposed to be at the wheel.

They got notes out, but still had the balls to step up.

What have you done from behind your phone?

Being ahead of the uk is nothing to shout about. fg were asleep at the wheel, we'll all suffer for it.

UK 233
    Ireland 3

Thats not a rugby score.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Of course, we could have stopped this but you'd hardly expect that to have happened with fg at the wheel? Let's not forget, if they had been in power prior to the crash in the naughties, we would have been in a worse position than ff left us in.

And if Mary Lou and her brigade had been in power the ****show would be 20 times worse. Thankfully for us all they aren't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

Jesus you have issues.

Damn right I do, I know people who're suffering with this virus and can only hope they won't die from it. This thing wasn't approached seriously enough by those in charge. Leo was flying off to America not long over a week ago!

You do know the caretaker government took and followed advice from WHO and medical experts

If they hadn't of you would be the first in here giving out they made decisions themselves without expert advice.

Just give over the political digs, it serves no purpose at the moment.

No I wouldn't. It can't be hidden or denied. fg ****ed up and they ****ed up big style. There's no getting away from it. I have no doubt it would be exactly the same if we had ff in power. I can't say for the others but we need better leaders for this state. The ones we're choosing are costing many lives.

• Advertisement

Damn right I do, I know people who're suffering with this virus and can only hope they won't die from it. This thing wasn't approached seriously enough by those in charge. Leo was flying off to America not long over a week ago!

What would you have done differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

When the dust settles and the investigations are done. It will all point back to China not just ignoring the problem, but active suppression of the medical professionals in the region who were trying to warn the world and get the required government response. They knew in November 2019 there was a major issue.

China is all the worst apsects of a communist state and brutal dictatorship roled into one.

They weren't even supposed to be at the wheel.

They got notes out, but still had the balls to step up.

What have you done from behind your phone?

Are you just here to defend fg? They were in charge, it was their call, they got it wrong and lives have been cost and more are to come.

UK 233
    Ireland 3

Thats not a rugby score.

What is this sh1t? The uk have an incompetent government and so have we, are you boasting about the number of deaths there compared to ours?

And if Mary Lou and her brigade had been in power the ****show would be 20 times worse. Thankfully for us all they aren't.

If a cow had wings it could fly.

• Advertisement

What would you have done differently?

Alot of things but I'm not close to being in charge. Those who are shouldn't be excused.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Could we have stopped this.

Does it matter.

It’s here. Deal with it.

We are still not restricting flights or movement in and out of Ireland, we are still not quarantining people from infected areas. It was always going to arrive here but it is concerning that we aren’t taking these measures as it means we are leaving ourselves vulnerable to surge of cases.

Alot of things but I'm not close to being in charge. Those who are shouldn't be excused.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

endacl wrote: »
    Any chance we could get the developers to work on an autoban algorithm ....

i don't know about autobahns, but if we could get them to build a few houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, it could have been stopped but it wasn't - because many people are of the "let's wait and see" variety.
    It's because of their attitudes the virus spread like wildfire.

After SARS and H1N1, Singapore built a robust system for tracking and containing epidemics.
    South Korea, Taiwan, and others did too.
    Muppets in Europe, not so much...

It's simply down to strict travel controls and protocols for identifying sick individuals

It boils down to closed borders and test, test, test.

But it would take weeks before European countries even considered restricting travel and testing.

Such as?

Well, I wouldn't be flying off to America anyway. There was numerous things we should have done differently and we still aren't doing everything we should be. I don't care who it offends, the original issue was with China and it's spread globally, but for us, the issue was compounded by the actions or should I say the inactions of fg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

endacl wrote: »
    Any chance we could get the developers to work on an autoban algorithm
    What good would a motorway be in this situation?

I wasn't making a political dig! The thread is about the possibility of stopping it before it spread in Ireland. Who was in control of that?

This was complicated by us being part of the EU but I think if our government indicated that there ‘may be’ quarantines for people flying from affected areas that alone would have stopped a lot of people taking chances. I became concerned when I saw minimum reporting on it in Irish media

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

awec wrote: »
    If we wanted to stop it spreading completely in Ireland then surely we'd have to close the airports and the ports and ban foreign travel until such a time a vaccine was developed, mass produced and then widely administered in Ireland.

Otherwise we'd just get whacked with it as soon as we opened the borders again.

Solid, well reasoned post

Well, I wouldn't be flying off to America anyway. There was numerous things we should have done differently and we still aren't doing everything we should be. I don't care who it offends, the original issue was with China and it's spread globally, but for us, the issue was compounded by the actions or should I say the inactions of fg.

Quelle Surprise. The only thing you say you would differently is a shot at the Taoiseach. Not anything specific, decisive, substantiative.

The virus was here before Varadkar went to the US. My question was what would you have done differently to stop it getting here?

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »
    This was complicated by us being part of the EU but I think if our government indicated that there ‘may be’ quarantines for people flying from affected areas that alone would have stopped a lot of people taking chances. I became concerned when I saw minimum reporting on it in Irish media

ff had excuses for the crash as well. We can't be making excuses for these any more. They are costing lives.

Lowest trolley numbers ever at the moment.

15 yesterday.

What does that tell you?

Sure Italy didn't even know how bad they had it how do you expect the Irish government to?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I’m not sure if this tells us that a) things are under control or b) other patients that need treatment are not being admitted as it’s not an emergency

Quelle Surprise. The only thing you say you would differently is a shot at the Taoiseach. Not anything specific, decisive, substantiative.

The virus was here before Varadkar went to the US. My question was what would you have done differently to stop it getting here?

Some of the things I would have done differently have already been written on this thread. But that is pointless. I wasn't in charge and I'm not now.

fg were and still are. They ****ed up. End of story. Leo flying to America is up there with the ff clowns denying the imf were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wasn't making a political dig!
    Let's not forget, if they had been in power prior to the crash in the naughties, we would have been in a worse position than ff left us in.

good man

frillyleaf wrote: »

My friend from China went to London a fortnight ago on holiday. She flew home on March 10th. She is still in quarantine in a hotel in China. If all the people going on skiing trips to Italy from Ireland in February had been told they'd be quarantined for a fortnight when they got back, our surface of vulnerability would have been greatly reduced.

Some of the things I would have done differently have already been written on this thread. But that is pointless. I wasn't in charge and I'm not now.

fg were and still are. They ****ed up. End of story. Leo flying to America is up there with the ff clowns denying the imf were here.

So still no suggestions of what you would have done differently. :rolleyes:

Don't respond to this comment.

good man

And? I'm sick of the excuses laid out for them. Maybe when everyone starts seeing people they know fall ill from this they'll be less sympathetic to fg and see the mess they've added to with their incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And? I'm sick of the excuses laid out for them. Maybe when everyone starts seeing people they know fall ill from this they'll be less sympathetic to fg and see the mess they've added to with their incompetence.

OK ok we get it.

Well isn't it great they won't be the next government.

What more do you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

:rolleyes:

So I guess if your favoured party were in charge Ireland would be grand.

• Advertisement

So still no suggestions of what you would have done differently. :rolleyes:

Don't respond to this comment.

Hello, I'm responding to this comment.

My suggestions - pointless.
    fg's inactions - Have and will cost lives.

Advertisement