Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we have stopped this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

To be fair, who could have predicted this? I for one never imagined in my life time id live through a global virus spread that would kill thousands of people. I dont think anyone imagined it could ever get this out of control especially in this day and age, with all the medical, technological and scientific advances, you'd expect things like this to be something that happened in the distant past.
    Its like something out of a science fiction horror film.

Regardless it's here and we all have to deal with it now.
    We have two choices, restrict our interactions with other people and practice good hygiene or don't. If we dont, the situation will get entirely out of control, our health system - which was already an absolute shambles - will be brought to its knees. Thousands and thousands of people will die in this country, you and I will know some of them.

And that's all the control we have over this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

NIMAN wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Amazing how every day an angry anti FGer just randomly pops up cursing and ranting here.

Seems very coincidental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

OK ok we get it.

Well isn't it great they won't be the next government.

What more do you want?

I couldn't give a sh1t who's in the next government. I don't want to see people dying and getting really sick from this. fg screwed up big time and they still are. That's what's important right now. We need to tackle them on it, not praise them because they're doing better than the uk. That's not good enough.

NIMAN wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

So I guess if your favoured party were in charge Ireland would be grand.

I don't have a favoured party! I don't care if it's fg, ff or anyone. I just want to see this mess sorted and I don't have confidence in fg because of their inactions thus far.

timhenn wrote: »
    I couldn't give a sh1t who's in the next government. I don't want to see people dying and getting really sick from this. fg screwed up big time and they still are. That's what's important right now. We need to tackle them on it, not praise them because they're doing better than the uk. That's not good enough.

Who says we're doing better than the UK?

Going by your ridiculous logic were doing better than 19 other countries.

FG followed the expert advice.

Like every country.

• Advertisement

I don't have a favoured party! I don't care if it's fg, ff or anyone. I just want to see this mess sorted and I don't have confidence in fg because of their inactions thus far.

You are actually just spouting nonsense at this stage.

Inaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

awec wrote: »
    If we wanted to stop it spreading completely in Ireland then surely we'd have to close the airports and the ports and ban foreign travel until such a time a vaccine was developed, mass produced and then widely administered in Ireland.

Otherwise we'd just get whacked with it as soon as we opened the borders again.
    And close the border with NI which was never gonna happen

Amazing how every day an angry anti FGer just randomly pops up cursing and ranting here.

Seems very coincidental.

I've added so many people to my Ignore List today, there is practically steam coming off it.

In practically every Covid-related thread there is someone hating about something.

I'm willing to accept failures by FG and I'm far from Varadkars biggest fan. But you can't have a discussion with people who rant on with their own agenda.

Seems very coincidental.

Why are there a number of posters coming in here to defend the indefensible? Leave your party allegiances at the door, I couldn't give a sh1t about politics. Irish lives are more important.

Who says we're doing better than the UK?

Going by your ridiculous logic were doing better than 19 other countries.

FG followed the expert advice.

Like every country.

Read the thread! Someone put it up as if it's a score in a match!

Who advised Leo to fly off to America? What expert was that? If that's who we're following then we need a change of plan and quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Lowest trolley numbers ever at the moment.

15 yesterday.

What does that tell you?

Sure Italy didn't even know how bad they had it how do you expect the Irish government to?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

are you taking the low trolly numbers to mean there is no capacity issue ?

Are you suggesting that the Italian reaction should dictate our reaction? The numbers coming from Italy were alarming enough to cancel the match.

Hindsight isn’t wonderful, when you and hundreds others were saying it at the time.

You are actually just spouting nonsense at this stage.

Inaction?

Their inactions have cost us. The are reactive instead of proactive.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

My friend from China went to London a fortnight ago on holiday. She flew home on March 10th. She is still in quarantine in a hotel in China. If all the people going on skiing trips to Italy from Ireland in February had been told they'd be quarantined for a fortnight when they got back, our surface of vulnerability would have been greatly reduced.

Yes, it would have put a lot of people off travelling. I don’t envy any government having to deal with a crises like this.

I do feel that the uncertainty of being quarantined would have reduced travel greatly. We were always going to get it but I would think the more time a country has to prepare for this the more they can take it by the horns.

There could be some logic as to why there is still no travel restrictions but as a country that is an Island we could have restricted travel even somewhat therefor being behind. Even having a couple of weeks extra to organise testing etc.
    A lot of people didn’t take this seriously until the announcement last week that schools were to close.

Actually some people are only taking it seriously today after watching Skynews reporting on Italy!

Hopefully I’m wrong and the government are doing a fantastic job. That will be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭brick tamland

My friend from China went to London a fortnight ago on holiday. She flew home on March 10th. She is still in quarantine in a hotel in China. If all the people going on skiing trips to Italy from Ireland in February had been told they'd be quarantined for a fortnight when they got back, our surface of vulnerability would have been greatly reduced.

We have an open border across the north of the island. Short of building a wall overnight in january and shutting the whole country down at the same time, it was coming here.(and even then it would have probably got here somehow)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm not looking forward to all the captain hindsights in the coming weeks and months.

hmmm wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to all the captain hindsights in the coming weeks and months.

People are screaming to do something now, not enough is being done. This isn't hindsight. Time to call these incompetent bunch out, fg need to know it's not good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

hmmm wrote: »

Wander over to the property market threads for a laugh, of course they knew a global pandemic was coming to lower house prices (and stall all sales anyway, so they can't buy if they wanted to...).

People need to realise how big of a deal it is to go into lockdown. We’re not even in full lockdown yet and over 150000 have lost jobs. Likely more and more each day as semi lockdown continues.
    It’s not a decision to make lightly.

Obviously all of Europe wanted to wait and see how the disease would be outside China.

We got the answer with Italy and started taking action.

It probably would have got here anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

People are screaming to do something now, not enough is being done. This isn't hindsight. Time to call these incompetent bunch out, fg need to know it's not good enough!

You lose, good day Sir!

People need to realise how big of a deal it is to go into lockdown. We’re not even in full lockdown yet and over 150000 have lost jobs. Likely more and more each day as semi lockdown continues.
    It’s not a decision to make lightly.

Obviously all of Europe wanted to wait and see how the disease would be outside China.

We got the answer with Italy and started taking action.

It probably would have got here anyways.

People dying v people losing their jobs. fg chose the former and now we're getting both.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    You lose, good day Sir!

:confused: We're all losing because of this. You won't be so smug when it's someone you know suffering from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

People dying v people losing their jobs. fg chose the former and now we're getting both.

We were always going to have both.

Allinall wrote: »
    We were always going to have both.

Not true. This could have been controlled. Right now it's out of control. We don't know how bad this will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not true. This could have been controlled. Right now it's out of control. We don't know how bad this will get.

You’re saying we could have guaranteed no deaths?

We would have needed full lockdown in January to have even stood a chance of avoiding it.

No sane leader would have made such a decision.

Allinall wrote: »
    You’re saying we could have guaranteed no deaths?

I'm saying we could have controlled this. Of course we couldn't have guaranteed no deaths but with fg's inactions, we gauranteed deaths!

We would have needed full lockdown in January to have even stood a chance of avoiding it.

No sane leader would have made such a decision.

When did we get our first case? When did Leo fly to America? That's how serious our government were treating this. We didn't have to go back to January to control this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Flights to and from China and Italy should have stopped from January

True but would not have stopped it. Slowed it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Of course, we could have stopped this but you'd hardly expect that to have happened with fg at the wheel? Let's not forget, if they had been in power prior to the crash in the naughties, we would have been in a worse position than ff left us in.

Spoken like a true SF apologist.

Did the boys at the top table sanction your reply?

And what did they do in Northern Ireland (where very few actual tests have been done)

Thank fuc SF are not in government here in the Republic of Ireland, that's what many are saying.

• Advertisement

Darc19 wrote: »
    Spoken like a true SF apologist.

Did the boys at the top table sanction your reply?

And what did they do in Northern Ireland (where very few actual tests have been done)

Thank fuc SF are not in government here in the Republic of Ireland, that's what many are saying.

This is not the first time I've received a response like this. What the **** is it all about? What have sf got to do with this? Why are people putting their politics before everything?
    fg ****ed up, if it was sf, ff, the greens, anyone, then I'd be calling them out on it. Facts are that it was fg. If this upsets your political leanings I couldn't give a sh1t. We have to call out incompetence, they've been getting away with it for too long and it's costing lives.

Advertisement