Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we have stopped this

Options

Comments

timhenn wrote: »
    When did we get our first case? When did Leo fly to America? That's how serious our government were treating this. We didn't have to go back to January to control this.

People going to Italy from early February brought it back.

The only hope to possibly try to avoid it would have been a full scale lockdown in January.

And we’d still be in lockdown now and for the foreseeable future, with the banks going under and probably well over a million unemployed.

Hard to avoid a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Some of ye are spending your time off looking under your beds for DASTARDLY SHINNERS. Ye are like the mad general in Dr Strangelove. If 80% of the earth's population died in a nuclear war and you were unlucky enough to be among the survivors, along with the locusts and the cockroaches and Eoghan Harris/Ruth Dudley Earnest, you would spend your time wandering around muttering about "Sinn Fein made this happen, grrrrrr!!" Yiz are mad. Plain stirring bats*** insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1KvgtEnABY

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

There is no way we could stop this. Not unless every country closed its borders at the start and at the same time. Eventually it would enter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

The only hope to possibly try to avoid it would have been a full scale lockdown in January.

And we’d still be in lockdown now and for the foreseeable future, with the banks going under and probably well over a million unemployed.

That sounds like the ff apologists from the naughties. Every excuse in the book thrown at it. It was a global downturn, nothing we could have done. Bollox. We could easily have done something, we can still be doing more.
    As I said, people are very forgiving right now, wait till your personally affected by this.

That sounds like the ff apologists from the naughties. Every excuse in the book thrown at it. It was a global downturn, nothing we could have done. Bollox. We could easily have done something, we can still be doing more.
    As I said, people are very forgiving right now, wait till your personally affected by this.

The only way to have stopped those people from flying would have been full lockdown in January. A lockdown that would have us economically and socially destroyed by now with possibly a few more months to go.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I think FG have done a very good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Not true. This could have been controlled. Right now it's out of control. We don't know how bad this will get.

It's being controlled so far.

The only way to have stopped those people from flying would have been full lockdown in January. A lockdown that would have us economically and socially destroyed by now with possibly a few more months to go.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I think FG have done a very good job.

You think Leo flying off to America and the lack of action on this till it was too late is a job well done?

Even now they're not doing enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

We could have controlled this, but only we engaged in Chinese type measures in early February or possibly late January. Which would have crashed the economy a month before the country would have gotten its first case. That wouldn't have been accepted by anybody.

Maybe next time we might do it. Hopefully after all this we totally examine wet markets and biowarfare (I dont think that biowarfare was the cause here but it is too dangerous to engage in).

noodler wrote: »

How do you work that one out? Do you know anyone suffering with this?

We're a small island, we were at a huge advantage when it was possible to control this, a huge **** up has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

To be fair, who could have predicted this? I for one never imagined in my life time id live through a global virus spread that would kill thousands of people. I dont think anyone imagined it could ever get this out of control especially in this day and age, with all the medical, technological and scientific advances, you'd expect things like this to be something that happened in the distant past.
    Its like something out of a science fiction horror film.

Regardless it's here and we all have to deal with it now.
    We have two choices, restrict our interactions with other people and practice good hygiene or don't. If we dont, the situation will get entirely out of control, our health system - which was already an absolute shambles - will be brought to its knees. Thousands and thousands of people will die in this country, you and I will know some of them.

And that's all the control we have over this situation.

People started paying attention to this when China quarantined millions of people. Maybe most assumed it was just another weird virus that went away like the last time.

That is not all the control we have over this - our country has the ability to restrict movement to other countries and this is still not happening. People are taking good hand hygiene and social distancing seriously - but there are still people flying in from affected regions free to wander around as they please.

I know some travel is necessary but there are some that will still choose to “take a break” and put lives at risk. I actually think of all the people working so hard In supermarkets coming into contact with people that decided to go to Cheltenham last week for example....

• Advertisement

We have an open border across the north of the island. Short of building a wall overnight in january and shutting the whole country down at the same time, it was coming here.(and even then it would have probably got here somehow)

I completely agree. It was coming here, no matter what we did.

Once it left Wuhan, that was it, the toothpaste was out of the tube.

But I went on a skiing holiday to Italy when i was 16. Some people in the group spent more time kissing than skiing. And not always with the same girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You seem to be the 1 whi is been political here. I get it someone close to you has it and your mad. I have a sister in law who has a tumour and is pregnant and I am worried sick.

However now is not the time to rant and rave. This was getting in 1 way or another. Unless we closed every border from January. Where would we be now. No virus probably but we would have millions out of work and probably a highly lawless state.

For your own sanity get off social media and be with as much as you can those you love

How do you work that one out? Do you know anyone suffering with this?

We're a small island, we were at a huge advantage when it was possible to control this, a huge **** up has been made.

How the **** do you think it's.not being controlled?

If you think zero infections or zero economic impact is the benchmark than you are sorely deluded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

We will know in a week or two if that is correct

You seem to be the 1 whi is been political here. I get it someone close to you has it and your mad. I have a sister in law who has a tumour and is pregnant and I am worried sick.

However now is not the time to rant and rave. This was getting in 1 way or another. Unless we closed every border from January. Where would we be now. No virus probably but we would have millions out of work and probably a highly lawless state.

For your own sanity get off social media and be with as much as you can those you love

This thing getting here didn't mean it had to spread! Still, nothing is being done on that front. People with this thing were allowed to come in and infect others freely. We didn't have to block every flight. It's ridiculous. A massive **** up.

And I'm not going near any loved ones. I could have it and spread it further or they could give it to me.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    I know some travel is necessary but there are some that will still choose to “take a break” and put lives at risk. I actually think of all the people working so hard In supermarkets coming into contact with people that decided to go to Cheltenham last week for example....

Whatever about people skiing in Italy in February, Cheltenham last week was a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Lockdown wasn’t feedbacks and still isn’t just yet but we could have and still can restrict flights to slow it down - we are not doing this even now.

Even screening at airports from some regions - anything! The face I can fly to uk and back no bother is concerning. People were flying to Italy and Spain until last week

How the **** do you think it's.not being controlled?

If you think zero infections or zero economic impact is the benchmark than you are sorely deluded.

There's a huge list waiting to be tested, the true numbers of those affected is far higher than we have now. We're an island, a small one. This could have been controlled but we were failed by those in charge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Whatever about people skiing in Italy in February, Cheltenham last week was a disaster waiting to happen.

I know people that went on weekend breaks over Paddy's day. Then straight back to work on Wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

This thing getting here didn't mean it had to spread! Still, nothing is being done on that front. People with this thing were allowed to come in and infect others freely. We didn't have to block every flight. It's ridiculous. A massive **** up.

And I'm not going near any loved ones. I could have it and spread it further or they could give it to me.

Even by saying "We didn't have to block every flight" you show the problem they faced. In fact we probably did have to block every flight prior to the first known case here, but that was politically and economically impossible a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

FVP3 wrote: »
    Even by saying "We didn't have to block every flight" you show the problem they faced. In fact we probably did have to block every flight prior to the first known case here, but that was politically and economically impossible a few weeks ago.

You don't have to clock flights to block it spreading.

Leo was flying over and back to America last week. That shows how far behind they were!

There's a huge list waiting to be tested, the true numbers of those affected is far higher than we have now. We're an island, a small one. This could have been controlled but we were failed by those in charge!

We weren't failed by anyone really.

That's just the usual anti government ****e you hear on boards from time to time.

It's already been explained that claiming the borders wouldn't have helped unless you were willing to do it for years.

I know people that went on weekend breaks over Paddy's day. Then straight back to work on Wednesday

Meanwhile I felt guilty about going to Spar on Tuesday night.

We weren't failed by anyone really.

That's just the usual anti government ****e you hear on boards from time to time.

It's already been explained that claiming the borders wouldn't have helped unless you were willing to do it for years.

fg failed us, that's a fact. They didn't do enough and still aren't. Like I said, people are comfortable defending them for now as they haven't been affected. That will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

we could never have stopped it as it would be impossible to close the border up north , its here now best thing to do is to try and stop it spreading too quickly and overwhelming our already over stretched HSE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

fg failed us, that's a fact. They didn't do enough and still aren't. Like I said, people are comfortable defending them for now as they haven't been affected. That will change.

How many times do you have to be told FG took all their advice from WHO and the medical experts??

FG aren't disease and virus control experts.

Every government is doing the same.

You really are clueless.

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    we could never have stopped it as it would be impossible to close the border up north , its here now best thing to do is to try and stop it spreading too quickly and overwhelming our already over stretched HSE

The north's first case came through Dublin! Again, if we had people in charge who were proactive instead of reactive, we would have been ahead of this and not chasing it.

Having meetings between both states should have happened long before it did and some well thought out strategies introduced. This never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Absolutely. They should have immediately shut Wuhan down.

Hindsight is a great thing..

How many times do you have to be told FG took all their advice from WHO and the medical experts??

FG aren't disease and virus control experts.

Every government is doing the same.

You really are clueless.

You're just a fg shill. People's lives are more important than your political allegiances. They ****ed up, they can't hide behind others.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. They should have immediately shut Wuhan down.

Hindsight is a great thing..

They are still not doing enough. This is not hindsight!

Advertisement