Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could we have stopped this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

timhenn wrote: »
    :pac: Are you angry 24 hours a day?

They are right unless we totally lockdown the country the moment we heard of the virus. No one, no good nothing in or out until the virus is gone. So we should have done that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Flights from Italy should have been denied permission to land at Irish ports

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭timhenn

They are right unless we totally lockdown the country the moment we heard of the virus. No one, no good nothing in or out until the virus is gone. So we should have done that?

How about not letting people from affected regions free rein to spread the virus around our country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

:pac: Are you angry 24 hours a day?
    No we couldn't stop it. Well maybe by shutting everything down, and you'd complain about that too.

(Absolutely nothing whatsoever angry in the delivery of that post - just disagreement).

I'm convinced that those who are using this horrific virus to push a political agenda and making stuff up because they are so obsessed with moaning about politicians, and calling anyone who simply disagrees a shill... are likely borderline sociopathic.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    No we couldn't stop it. Well maybe by shutting everything down, and you'd complain about that too.

(Absolutely nothing whatsoever angry in the delivery of that post - just disagreement).

I'm convinced that those who are using this horrific virus to push a political agenda and making stuff up because they are so obsessed with moaning about politicians, and calling anyone who simply disagrees a shill... are likely borderline sociopathic.

Honestly, you just go around boards.ie foaming at the mouth, it can't be healthy.

Calling out **** ups by the government is allowed. They shouldn't be brushed under the carpet because it hurts someone's political sensitivities. This is far more important than politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

We couldnt have stopped it completely, but we could have slowed it down and controlled it more effectively.

After the first cases appeared I heard a public health expert on the radio being asked if we should be stopping people travelling to Italy or quarantining people - his answer was "people are going to travel where they want to travel, we will ask them to self isolate." The problem is that conservative governments are incapable of taking radical action quickly, and will always take what they see as the least worst compromise option. Unfortunately a virus doesn't compromise.

Here's what should have happened.

1. When the situation in Italy became clear, there should have been travel restrictions set in place immediately and anyone travelling from Northern italy should have been placed in enforced quarantine. Commandeer a hotel near the airport for this purpose.
    2. Immediately start ramping up testing.
    3. Travel advisory for Cheltenham. Anyone who ignores it will be sent straight to enforced quarantine.
    4. Close Schools, universities, pubs and cafes a week or so earlier, institute Croke park testing & call for volunteers a week earlier, begin social isolation.
    5. Close airports for all but essential flights and repatriation of irish citizens.
    6. Monitor cases and go full lockdown if necessary.
    7. Bring in nationwide testing as soon as possible.
    8. Institute proper economic measures, including UBI, mortgage, bill, debt freezes.

This is not hindsight, there were people calling for rapid action at the time. Our government reacted slowly and have been on the back foot ever since. Varadkar's address this week continued this pattern. We cannot continue to wait for the situation to worsen before we implement the correct measures. Its true that we are better than some other countries, but the appalling response from the UK, US and others does not excuse our slow actions.

Honestly, you just go around boards.ie foaming at the mouth, it can't be healthy.

Calling out **** ups by the government is allowed. They shouldn't be brushed under the carpet because it hurts someone's political sensitivities. This is far more important than politics.
    Change the record on my posting. Message understood the first time. Many others like me - why aren't you targeting them?

And you're just on a wind-up rampage so no great shakes in your posting either.

Of course it's ok to call out ****-ups but you're pretending they've made an absolute disaster of it purely just because of childish bias. It's your political sensitivities that you aren't letting go of.

Overall they've done a great job. Even encouraging words today.

Now I know your response will be "lol so angry :pac:" (which it isn't - it's perfectly rationally written) but even if I posted "thanks :)" you'd say I'm angry. Discrediting people constantly in that way says more about you. Disagreement is not anger. There was a poster ShatterAlan absolutely losing their mind last night - any chance you'd target them?

I was only actually angry the other day because of selfish muppets downplaying the dangers, which you felt the need to tell me about. And I happily admitted it.

Change the record on my posting. Message understood the first time. Many others like me - why aren't you targeting them?

And you're just on a wind-up rampage so no great shakes in your posting either.

Of course it's ok to call out ****-ups but you're pretending they've made an absolute disaster of it purely just because of childish bias. It's your political sensitivities that you aren't letting go of.

Overall they've done a great job. Even encouraging words today.

Now I know your response will be "lol so angry :pac:" (which it isn't - it's perfectly rationally written) but even if I posted "thanks :)" you'd say I'm angry. Discrediting people constantly in that way says more about you. Disagreement is not anger. There was a poster ShatterAlan absolutely losing their mind last night - any chance you'd target them?

I was only actually angry the other day because of selfish muppets downplaying the dangers, which you felt the need to tell me about. And I happily admitted it.

40,000 people waiting to be tested? Are you and all the others still giving fg a free pass? This is a monumental **** up.

How is that a ****-up? There are huge numbers of people - there will be a delay. This isn't unique to Ireland.

The HSE is recruiting as we speak. A recruitment drive for those abroad to possibly come back has received 30,000 expressions of interest.

How is that a ****-up? There are huge numbers of people - there will be a delay. This isn't unique to Ireland.

The HSE is recruiting as we speak. A recruitment drive for those abroad to possibly come back has received 30,000 expressions of interest.

It's a **** up because the government were completely unprepared. They are playing catch up and they're a long way behind. Like I've said, reactive instead of proactive.

Leo was flying off to America long after we should have been facing this head on. Large numbers will die because of their incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

40,000 people waiting to be tested? Are you and all the others still giving fg a free pass? This is a monumental **** up.

Is that you Mary Lou?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Gael23 wrote: »
    Flights from Italy should have been denied permission to land at Irish ports

They just would have flown into Heathrow and on to Dublin.

They just would have flown into Heathrow and on to Dublin.

Why haven't flights from the uk been banned? Make the Irish sea our border, what are the cowards doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Why haven't flights from the uk been banned? Make the Irish sea our border, what are the cowards doing?

The Nordies won't even play ball on a coordinated effort twoards it on the island.
    That would be the first thing to get right before we start talking about sea borders.

The Nordies won't even play ball on a coordinated effort twoards it on the island.
    That would be the first thing to get right before we start talking about sea borders.

And what's been done about it? Why haven't flights been cancelled? Why aren't fg putting pressure on the dup to cooperate publically? What exactly have fg been doing for the past few months?

Introducing a strategy of letting old people die and think that'll fix it. Fly off to America in the middle of a global pandemic. Get infected with the virus because not adhering to social distancing when meeting someone who has the virus.

They are a ****ing joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭rn

Fine Gael have done magnificently, when you compare the response internationally. Our economy is based on openness in terms of goods and travel. We don't have military or civil police resources to implement a unilateral lock down, an Irish government needs 80-90% of population to want to agree with it first.

Sticking plaster options like banning flights from Italy would be so easily circumvented via UK.

Personal responsibility has to come into it. Irish people went to Italy and Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,829 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Government has done a great job but I wish they had stopped Italians coming for the rugby weekend and prevented people going to Cheltenham.
    Had we banned flights from effected areas into the country and people going to those places from here we might have fared even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭blackbox

And what's been done about it? Why haven't flights been cancelled? Why aren't fg putting pressure on the dup to cooperate publically? What exactly have fg been doing for the past few months?

Introducing a strategy of letting old people die and think that'll fix it. Fly off to America in the middle of a global pandemic. Get infected with the virus because not adhering to social distancing when meeting someone who has the virus.

They are a ****ing joke.

Were you complaining a few posts back about someone else being angry 24 hours per day?

No matter how well anyone has done, of course with hindsight things could have been done better.

In reality, I don't think any other party or group or advisors would actually have done any better.

rn wrote: »
    Fine Gael have done magnificently, when you compare the response internationally. Our economy is based on openness in terms of goods and travel. We don't have military or civil police resources to implement a unilateral lock down, an Irish government needs 80-90% of population to want to agree with it first.

Sticking plaster options like banning flights from Italy would be so easily circumvented via UK.

Personal responsibility has to come into it. Irish people went to Italy and Cheltenham.

And even some went over to America to celebrate St Patrick's Day!! Can you believe that?

blackbox wrote: »
    Were you complaining a few posts back about someone else being angry 24 hours per day?

No matter how well anyone has done, of course with hindsight things could have been done better.

In reality, I don't think any other party or group or advisors would actually have done any better.

The past has happened, they ****ed up and we shouldn't let them forget that but it's important what they do from now on. They are still showing complete incompetence! Again I ask, why are flights still coming in from many different countries including those riddled with the virus? Why are those affected allowed to roam free wherever they want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

More important than politics, yet no opposition party has criticised the response to date whilst you accuse people of being FG shills if they disagree with you?

It's nifty the way you are trying to spin this.

Nifty, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

They are a ****ing joke.

The public are generally a bunch of arseholes.

The government can't be blamed for everything.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/crowds-and-irresponsible-behaviour-raise-coronavirus-concerns-at-popular-parks-and-walks-39057491.html

These clowns will be crying in a few weeks. Idiots.

noodler wrote: »
    More important than politics, yet no opposition party has criticised the response to date whilst you accuse people of being FG shills if they disagree with you?

Nifty, indeed.

Why haven't fg blocked flights coming in here? Why are they letting infected people roam free?

This is fg's responsibility. I don't care if that hurts your feelings.

The public are generally a bunch of arseholes.

The government can't be blamed for everything.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/crowds-and-irresponsible-behaviour-raise-coronavirus-concerns-at-popular-parks-and-walks-39057491.html

These clowns will be crying in a few weeks. Idiots.

Everyone is ignoring Leo flying off to America, he wasn't exactly sending the right signals was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alot of people are wondering about the economics of spending 6bn, losing bns in tax, losing 400k jobs etc just to try and prevent deaths of already unwell people.

So it's strange we have posters on here saying we have gone for the laissez faire 'let them die' herd immunity approach.

Alot of people are wondering about the economics of spending 6bn, losing bns in tax, losing 400k jobs etc just to try and prevent deaths of already unwell people.

So it's strange we have posters on here saying we have gone for the laissez faire 'let them die' herd immunity approach.

That was fg's original thought, let the old people die and we'll save the economy. The reality is and will be, a lot of people will die and the economy will be ****ed. But fg have done a great job. :rolleyes:

Everyone is ignoring Leo flying off to America, he wasn't exactly sending the right signals was he?

He returned on the 12th March.

The government can do no more than it currently is. We dont have an army big enough to enforce a shutdown. We are depending on the public doing what they are told. Which they wont.

Nifty, indeed.
    A disgrace really.

I have never ever called someone a shill because of their allegiance to (or simply lack of disagreement with) a particular party. It's a tactic I find pretty vile actually.

However... this poster is so obsessed and longing for things they can say the government did wrong (classily exploiting the possible infection of an FG member :confused:) that they are surely at least a staunch supporter of another party (probably SF given their anti British sentiment).

He returned on the 12th March.

The government can do no more than it currently is. We dont have an army big enough to enforce a shutdown. We are depending on the public doing what they are told. Which they wont.

Oh yeah, it's the lowly peasant's fault. Not those who were meant to be in charge who acted too late and didn't go far enough, not at all.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, it's the lowly peasant's fault. Not those who were meant to be in charge who acted too late and didn't go far enough, not at all.

The government acted correctly.

The public just wont listen.

Advertisement