Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping a PC to the US?

Options
  • 21-03-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭

I just recently moved to the US and am now regretting the fact my PC was not in my phase one plans of stuff to move over :o

Anyway, I'm looking to get this shipped over soon with UPS 2-day delivery. Cost isn't a factor but I'm wondering what's the best way to pack it.

I'm thinking of having the graphics card removed and shipped separately. I have packing peanuts and will wrap the tower in a blanket then. The issue I'm having then is finding a box big enough for it.

I have this tower: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LA6POK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So looking at the dimensions there, I'd need a box of around 75 x 40 x 75 factoring in the extra padding. Anyone ever shipped one abroad before? Where did you source a box for it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

One thing I can think of is your power supply will be 240v, they have 110v there

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

XMG wrote: »
    One thing I can think of is your power supply will be 240v, they have 110v there

Only terrible OEM PSUs can only accept 110/240v. Nearly all retail units support the full range, somewith a switch and some without.

If your CPU cooler is chonk then demount it too. Also remember that in the US couriers just leave stuff on the doorstep and f'ck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

XMG wrote: »

I have this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00B88Z314/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So should be fine in that regard.

ED E wrote: »
    Only terrible OEM PSUs can only accept 110/240v. Nearly all retail units support the full range, somewith a switch and some without.

If your CPU cooler is chonk then demount it too. Also remember that in the US couriers just leave stuff on the doorstep and f'ck off.

Good point, might remove that too. I live in an apartment building with front desk so should be fine with the couriers hopefully!

sugarman wrote: »
    Why don't you just get whoever is at home to post over your CPU, RAM and Graphics card and just order the cheaper bulkier parts on Amazon or wherever over there and do a rebuild?

A new case, PSU and motherboard would be cheaper than what it would cost to post over your whole computer.

That is a good point alright, I could look into that. I did find a company at home that make custom boxes also so will price them first and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I did find a company at home that make custom boxes also so will price them first and see.

Custom boxes? Lad what is wrong with you........ If you have this much more money than sense just get someone to wrap it in a load of bubble wrap (case will protect components from static), put it any old big box and ship it. Everything should be screwed in tight enough that nothing should move. It isn't rocket surgery.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Custom boxes? Lad what is wrong with you........ If you have this much more money than sense just get someone to wrap it in a load of bubble wrap (case will protect components from static), put it any old big box and ship it. Everything should be screwed in tight enough that nothing should move. It isn't rocket surgery.

His company has a relocation allowance, clearly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You see very few "PC giveaways" ship internationally because of the potential damage, normal PC's don't travel well. Depending on the specs, might just be worth shipping over a few items and building the rest there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Rob2D wrote: »

The PC is massive and will not fit in a standard box so better to get something that fits it in right at least.
    ED E wrote: »
    His company has a relocation allowance, clearly.

Bingo! The salary and shares aint half bad either :D

Bingo! The salary and shares aint half bad either :D

Just don't ever expect to see your family/get enough sleep :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Just ship over everything except the case and cooler & buy a new ones.

It's 6 years old anyway.

Advertisement