Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boost broadband in attic

• 21-03-2020 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. Just converted attic into dormer. BB pretty poor up there. What's are my options to boost this? I have Sky if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hi. Just converted attic into dormer. BB pretty poor up there. What's are my options to boost this? I have Sky if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.
    Is Ethernet cable run into the room an option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Is Ethernet cable run into the room an option?

It could well be. What exactly is involved here? Would a spark know what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Run an Ethernet cable if you can. It's the only method that's guaranteed to work. You can then easily add an access point to extend your WiFi and wired devices can just plug in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

It could well be. What exactly is involved here? Would a spark know what to do?
    Ethernet would be my personal preference. As mentioned above, directly in the room would give you option to hard-wire devices there + AP if needed.

Extenders are an option, but would be my last resort. They simple enough to set up and will work.... as long they work.

Spark would know whats involved if you not up it and/or have no tools

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Ethernet would be my personal preference. As mentioned above, directly in the room would give you option to hard-wire devices there + AP if needed.

Extenders are an option, but would be my last resort. They simple enough to set up and will work.... as long they work.

Spark would know whats involved if you not up it and/or have no tools

Thanks. No I wouldn't have a clue what is involved and where to connect it to. Carpet etc not down so now an opportunity to get it down and hide cables and any work involved.

Run cable from modem and connect to what in the attic? Another modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Run cable from modem and connect to what in the attic? Another modem?

An access point (or a router in access point mode)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Ive tried quite a few home plugs and I have found each more unreliable than the next ( needs restarting , droputs etc .. note your mileage may vary )

My advice get a mesh network, you can start small but the more you add the better the signal.

https://www.t3.com/features/best-mesh-network

I bought cheap from ali here .. but up to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

celtic_oz wrote: »
    Ive tried quite a few home plugs and I have found each more unreliable than the next ( needs restarting , droputs etc .. note your mileage may vary )

My advice get a mesh network, you can start small but the more you add the better the signal.

https://www.t3.com/features/best-mesh-network

I bought cheap from ali here .. but up to you

You're going to lose bandwidth with a mesh network. Might not be an issue for op if their usage isn't too demanding but better to go with a cable if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

xckjoo wrote: »
    You're going to lose bandwidth with a mesh network. Might not be an issue for op if their usage isn't too demanding but better to go with a cable if possible

agreed .. wired is always better if you can .. (note I don't class powerline(homeplugs) as wired)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

An access point (or a router in access point mode)

I have a similar problem to the OP - except that i have an ethernet cable installed from beside the home router (Huawei / F2000) to the other end of the house - just never really needed to use it until now .

given that i have the cable, can anyone recommend an access point that will work well with the F2000 / fibre connection, to provide a wireless signal on the other end ?
    and if i read gooey looey correctly, if i can find someone who has an old router they don't need, I can convert it to work as an access point and create a wifi signal .. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

When I converted my attic the steel girders caused an issue so if you can put your sky modem on the first floor it might give better signal all around in the attic and downstairs and upstairs. This worked for me using the virgin hub.

But if there is an option to run the cable it would be best in the long run connected directly to the sky modem and then into an access point in the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I have a similar problem to the OP - except that i have an ethernet cable installed from beside the home router (Huawei / F2000) to the other end of the house - just never really needed to use it until now .

given that i have the cable, can anyone recommend an access point that will work well with the F2000 / fibre connection, to provide a wireless signal on the other end ?
    and if i read gooey looey correctly, if i can find someone who has an old router they don't need, I can convert it to work as an access point and create a wifi signal .. ?

I would recommend Ubiquiti Unifi Uap-ac-lite. Get a pair of them, and co-locate one with your F2000, and the other on the cable connection at the other end of the house. Switch off the WiFi in your F2000. The advantage of doing this is that the two Unifi Access points will work in tandem to provide seamless mesh coverage throughout the house. This means that client devices will be steered to the strongest access point rather than clinging onto the weaker signal. Another advantage is that these access points use POE(Power over Ethernet), so you won't need to have a separate power connection at the end of your Ethernet cables. This may enable you to locate the access points high up on the wall, or ceiling to give the best coverage. If you need more of them, you can just add them. Use the Unifi mobile app to configure - very straightforward - no need for a controller device unless you are particularly nerdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Tuttlinghorn

Thanks Babelfish - just so i am clear:
    • The F2000 stays connected to the Fibre line-in
    • The first Ubiquiti device connects to the F2000 via ethernet
    • First Ubiquiti device connects via ethernet to second ubiquiti device
    is that it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Thanks Babelfish - just so i am clear:
    • The F2000 stays connected to the Fibre line-in
    • The first Ubiquiti device connects to the F2000 via ethernet
    • First Ubiquiti device connects via ethernet to second ubiquiti device
    is that it ?

Yes - the F2000 is still your modem/router. You just switch off the WiFi from it and let the Unifi Access Points do the WiFi. The "Lite" versions only have one Ethernet port on them, so you can't daisy-chain them. You must connect both back to separate ports on your router. If you dont have enough spare ports, you will need to add a small Ethernet switch. The APs all appear to be the same on your network, although one will assume a master role and will co-ordinate handoffs to the other(s).

Advertisement