Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking down tree

• 22-03-2020 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I am taking down a plum tree in the garden.
    Its been there about 10 years.
    Question is will I need to take out some of the root to stop it regrowing, or if I cut it back to ground level will the roots die off in the ground?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I cut down a fee trees and am left with stumps, gonna take weeks of digging. In hindsight i would have dug the roots out and used the main trunk as a lever to get the stump and roots out all at once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

johnb25 wrote: »
    Question is will I need to take out some of the root to stop it regrowing, or if I cut it back to ground level will the roots die off in the ground?
    generally speaking, it'll continue to regrow from the stump. and as it's a plum, it might be grafted, in which case the stump may not even be a plum tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭standardg60

Both above replies are spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've cut down a couple of prunus and left the roots in the ground. I cut the stumps pretty much flush with the ground as I couldn't get them out.
    They didn't re- grow. Hidden by other things.

Advertisement