Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on fixing slope

Options
  • 22-03-2020 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Just moved in to our new house and the garden is in a bit of a mess .There is a fairly big slope in our garden .its nearly two feet from bottom of the garden to the top
    We have a cavity wall at the back of our garden and the neigbours behind us are at a lower level .
    Just wondering will the wall hold if I fill it or do I need to put another course of blocks in front to strengthen it .

The picture is a older picture but gives you a general idea of what I want to level

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Just moved in to our new house and the garden is in a bit of a mess .There is a fairly big slope in our garden .its nearly two feet from bottom of the garden to the top
    We have a cavity wall at the back of our garden and the neigbours behind us are at a lower level .
    Just wondering will the wall hold if I fill it or do I need to put another course of blocks in front to strengthen it .

The picture is a older picture but gives you a general idea of what I want to level

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Is there water pooling in the bottom right corner after heavy rain?

If water has nowhere to go that will be a problem.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not as simple as adding blocks to make a retaining wall, you need to think about drainage otherwise the water pressure will push the whole thing over.

You'd almost need to rebuild the wall.

My garden is sloped too.

Have you considered using tiers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

we did something like this just way closer to neighboring walls to make space for flower beds, digging up under few cinder blocks as main foundation and building small wall that got filled with excess for flowers bushes etc.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PCzE9yNw_Q2lvX9xHrHAd2tyxwrpv8wr - not my garden but close example.

afterwards you just need to figure drainage for excess water, but with tiles its quite straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

scamalert wrote: »
    we did something like this just way closer to neighboring walls to make space for flower beds, digging up under few cinder blocks as main foundation and building small wall that got filled with excess for flowers bushes etc.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PCzE9yNw_Q2lvX9xHrHAd2tyxwrpv8wr - not my garden but close example.

afterwards you just need to figure drainage for excess water, but with tiles its quite straight forward.

Hmmm, not sure if serious.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, not sure if serious.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NkhfV0MvMsrDOmJ9VkRK2glPuvPflreP
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Nb05VzNUucuRMjSd1grfFy-pkljGDeyM

my actual garden dont have one for the entire setup side but theres drain so doing few degrees slope diverts all water into it from tiles, as for grass etc yes it does suffer a bit with excess in one corner creating moss issue but that's different problem can be seen on pic two where couple plants are on grass level. but 0 strain on any neighboring walls as it basically goes all the way around.

as OPs garden if still same as in pic is clean slate so many different options way it can be approached.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭standardg60

The wall will be fine. What you do need do to is lift out that end fence panel and drop another concrete plinth in, then you can level the garden off.
    Why builders leave a drop like that is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oleard1987

Is there water pooling in the bottom right corner after heavy rain?

If water has nowhere to go that will be a problem.

There is no water pooling anywhere along the back wall
    Houses are fairly new so hoping they were designed with proper drainage
    That back wall is built on top of a 8 ft high block and flat wall to the house below
    With neighbours behind me and either side ,not sure where I can drain the water too

Trying to add better pictures but all too large ,I'll try and take some better pictures tomorrow and show a better angle of the slope

Noticed aswell today big soggy patch of mud in the middle
    Dig town maybe a foot and it was soaked the whole way down
    Is this just where all the water has drained too

Sorry for all the questions ,complete newbie to this gardening crack

There is no water pooling anywhere along the back wall
    Houses are fairly new so hoping they were designed with proper drainage
    That back wall is built on top of a 8 ft high block and flat wall to the house below
    With neighbours behind me and either side ,not sure where I can drain the water too

The water has to be drained through the wall.

You're talking about adding surcharge and hydrostatic pressure to the top half of a 14ft partially retaining wall.

I would get advice from an engineer.

• Advertisement

Trying to add better pictures but all too large ,I'll try and take some better pictures tomorrow and show a better angle of the slope

Noticed aswell today big soggy patch of mud in the middle
    Dig town maybe a foot and it was soaked the whole way down
    Is this just where all the water has drained too

Sorry for all the questions ,complete newbie to this gardening crack
    are there no drainge pipes at all at the back of the house, mine is located close to waste pipe , then there another where gutters run off thats only 2 at the front alone, not minding extra 3 round the side and front. if its muddy like that it could be covered under dirt, maybe peek at neighbors side to see where one would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I would an extra plinth to the lowest panel on each side, then backfill to that height, which is not excessive, and either live with the (slightly reduced) slope or construct terraces to make it more interesting.

Said i would come back with an update ,Took all the advice on board
    Ended up getting the garden done by someone who had an idea
    Levelled the garden 95% of the way back to the wall and then sloped and fill with Bark mulch so no pressure on the wall
    He also dug down nearly 2/3 feet in the garden and installed drainage so happy with the end
    1st picture was a test dig to see how good/bad the drainage was and the second picture is the garden 95% complete
    We also raised concrete panels on the bottom two fences so the earth doesn't rest against the wood

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Just be aware that the bark mulch will rot down in time. If you just keep topping it up it will eventually have the same mass as soil. You will have to dig it out from time to time. You could then combine it with grass cuttings and green waste from the garden and the kitchen to make compost.

Just be aware that the bark mulch will rot down in time. If you just keep topping it up it will eventually have the same mass as soil. You will have to dig it out from time to time. You could then combine it with grass cuttings and green waste from the garden and the kitchen to make compost.

I guess you could always use something like insulation beads covered by a weed membrane. The thought of pouring plastics into the ground doesn't fill me with any joy, but it would help keep the load on the wall down, maintain drainage and allow relatively shallow-rooted stuff to be grown over the top.

Advertisement