Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Treadmill

• 22-03-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent but inexpensive treadmill. Thinking if we go to lockdown it will keep us sane.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

What's inexpensive to you? I recently bought one for €1400. It has 15% incline and -3% decline. Has a 3.8 chp motor and a large 60x22 inch folding deck. It's a Proform Pro 1500.
    For what I paid and what I got I would consider it a good price.
    Bought it from gymgear.ie.
    If you're going to be using it regularly then you will need one with at least a 3.0 chp motor imo.
    I enjoy treadmill running myself and use Zwift Run a lot so needed something big and sturdy with a good motor. I upgraded from an older Proform which had a very small motor.

I've nothing to do with the above company btw, but it was hassle free buying from them.
    Elverys also have a selection of treadmills as do mcsport.ie
    I just went with gymgear.ie because they had the treadmill with the specs I wanted at what I felt was a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

Casey78 wrote: »
    What's inexpensive to you? I recently bought one for €1400. It has 15% incline and -3% decline. Has a 3.8 chp motor and a large 60x22 inch folding deck. It's a Proform Pro 1500.
    For what I paid and what I got I would consider it a good price.
    Bought it from gymgear.ie.
    If you're going to be using it regularly then you will need one with at least a 3.0 chp motor imo.
    I enjoy treadmill running myself and use Zwift Run a lot so needed something big and sturdy with a good motor. I upgraded from an older Proform which had a very small motor.

I've nothing to do with the above company btw, but it was hassle free buying from them.
    Elverys also have a selection of treadmills as do mcsport.ie
    I just went with gymgear.ie because they had the treadmill with the specs I wanted at what I felt was a reasonable price.

Thanks for your reply, definitely won't be spending that much as tbh won't use it a huge amount after the possible lockdown.
    Daughter is a runner so wanted it mainly for her, she will run in hale, rain or snow so no need for a treadmill normally. I was looking at some, the speeds differ like 12 km to 16km an hour? What is that in English lol. Daughter runs a 5km just over 20min (she would like to go faster tho.) what speed would she need?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Treadmill and weights and bench bought here three weeks ago. best purchase ever. An hour a day followed by spraying of everything used means sanity in this home environment has been saved.

Lots of deals out there currently. make sure that the base is completely in one (including the motor) usually good machines cost more.

Simple rule of thumb ... only buy what you can afford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

junebabies wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, definitely won't be spending that much as tbh won't use it a huge amount after the possible lockdown.
    Daughter is a runner so wanted it mainly for her, she will run in hale, rain or snow so no need for a treadmill normally. I was looking at some, the speeds differ like 12 km to 16km an hour? What is that in English lol. Daughter runs a 5km just over 20min (she would like to go faster tho.) what speed would she need?

A 20min 5km is 15kph. Most go to 18kph which would be a 16:40 5km.
    You don't have to spend as much as I did, you could get a reasonable one for €600-€800
    To be honest anything cheaper and you may not as well bother. It will be poorly built with a very cheap and low powered motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

You could hire one for a month for about 100 euros. Just google 'hire treadmill' in your area. You can probably extend the period if necessary. Only problem is it might be hard to get one now as there's a huge 'run' on them at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭junebabies

ultrawoman wrote: »
    You could hire one for a month for about 100 euros. Just google 'hire treadmill' in your area. You can probably extend the period if necessary. Only problem is it might be hard to get one now as there's a huge 'run' on them at the moment!

Thanks a mill, didn't realise there was such a thing. I'll look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Got a Roger Black Platinum treadmill in Argos a yr ago for €610 exc delivery.
    Spec: max speed 18kph
    max incline 18%
    no decline
    no fan
    no monitor or iPad holder
    motor 1.75 hp
    mp3 connection
    12 user programs.

Consistent maintenance of motor (hoover 3 times a yr) and running belt (lubricate deck every 40 hrs of usage) is essential for satisfactory performance i.e not super noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

Hi, I recently bought the Reebok ZR10. I got a good deal on it from Sports Direct but Argos have currently got it at a reduced price. You can easily find the specs etc online, but it has a 2hp motor, max speed of 18km/h, 15 levels of incline, relatively decent size running area etc. It is not gym standard, but it is not entry level and for a 'relative newbie' I reckon it would be ample. There are also lower cost, lower spec machines in the Reebok range (from the same retailers) that could suit your needs. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know, but a good motor and a good size running area should be two of your key considerations, with max speed and max user weight also important. Hope that helps.

Advertisement