Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless driver

Options
  • 22-03-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

Recently i upgraded my internet. Now i can access 5g as well and the standard 2.4hrz

My laptop is only connecting to the 2.4hrz, Iv googled the process and have tested the laptop for compatibility, and its able for 5g.

The driver is a intel wireless n7260 driver, which does not support 5ghrz, i want to replace it with the dual version but cant uninstall whats there, the original keeps popping back up.

I have followed the process set out by intel, but no luck

any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

What's the make and model of the laptop?
    What operating system? XP? Vista? 7? 10?
    I would try booting into say a Ubuntu distro off a freshly burned boot DVD or thumb-drive and checking if it just works.
    You can choose which driver to use in Windows Device Manager if you dig around.

I remember having once a Sonly laptop and Intel drivers were always broken.

I only connect my laptops with a LAN cable. Wireless is always horrible, it's collision based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Recently i upgraded my internet. Now i can access 5g as well and the standard 2.4hrz

My laptop is only connecting to the 2.4hrz, Iv googled the process and have tested the laptop for compatibility, and its able for 5g.

The driver is a intel wireless n7260 driver, which does not support 5ghrz, i want to replace it with the dual version but cant uninstall whats there, the original keeps popping back up.

I have followed the process set out by intel, but no luck

any ideas
    n7260 does support 5GHz, however, it depend on adapter you have - just Intel® Wireless-N 7260 or Intel® Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
    You potentially could upgrade adapter.
    Device make and model would reveal what you actually have and what upgrade option could be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just uninstall the driver and turn off the automatic driver install feature, otherwise every time you uninstall, Windows will go looking for drivers again.

You mean replace at a hardware level I assume - it's not as simple as just installing a new driver, unless you actually have the dual band version of the physical card you can only use 2.4ghz. You would have to open the laptop up and replace the wireless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Sorry for the lack of information. The adaptor is intel(r) wireless N- 7260

Think that means its not supported? easiest option is to buy a dongle?

Sorry for the lack of information. The adaptor is intel(r) wireless N- 7260

Think that means its not supported? easiest option is to buy a dongle?
    USB WiFi adapter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Do do know that 5Ghz WiFi is not the same thing as 5G, right?

I wouldn't go replacing the 2.4GHz card unless the amount of data you want to use exceeds that and you actually need the 5Ghz card. And even then there's no point doing that unless the broadband connection you have can supply that amount of data.

No point doing it just for the sake of it if isn't going to offer any actual benefit.

Do do know that 5Ghz WiFi is not the same thing as 5G, right?
    I hope OP is on correct path, 5G , on many routers, appear as suffix on SSID to distinguish between bands .
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRJlBhuuHxsMaEpq_3g_PkX-z-Y4D-rWoqIgfnoOeMvKecNeUSa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I suspect they are confusing 5G cell networks with 5GHz WiFi.
    They are totally different and it is only a co-incidence that they both have a 5 in their name.

I suspect they are confusing 5G cell networks with 5GHz WiFi.
    They are totally different and it is only a co-incidence that they both have a 5 in their name.
    I know what you mean, hope OP as well....
    Will see
    :D

Advertisement