Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for side passage planting

Options
  • 22-03-2020 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi there,

I have a side passage with a bed on one side of it (It is the left hand side passage in the photo. Apologies for the poor quality photo - the bed is about 1.5 metres long).

Given that light is not optimal here, I am wondering what I can plant.

I would like to plant productive things if possible and would really appreciate a steer on the following:

- Am I right in thinking rhubarb would do well there?

- I like the idea of having holly with berries for Christmas. Would that work or does it require good light? (I have read that you need a male and a female holly plant if you want berries)

- Would any kind of nuts or berries do anything there or do they need lots of light?

- Any suggestions for interesting plants that would not get too large and would do well there (even if they don't produce anything edible!)

Thanks for your time,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭standardg60

I really wouldn't bother with trying to grow anything there, putting in a good fence and then concreting or pebbling up to it would be my advice, plant what you'd like to grow in the back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We put some shade loving ferns in ours, they seem to be the only plants that like it there. I don't think this kind of space is very practical for growing anything edible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭lucalux

Ferns and hostas, in pots maybe? Clean looking gravel underneath, the hostas can be susceptible to slugs and the gravel can help. I really like the clean green of both types of plants. Lidl near me had several types of ferns in last week, you might still be able to pick up a few of them now

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Artdeco30

miezekatze and lucalux - thanks very much for those suggestions. The ferns in particular could look great I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭blackbox

It might be worth trying some small rhododendrons if your soil is acidic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement