Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Christ almighty.

I could only get through a few seconds of that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

There will be more trouble like this if something isn’t done. These young people have had no school, no structure, no sport, no part time job options, no shops, nothing. It’s going to boil over soon and maybe then people will realise locking people up for months on end - while all other countries used the new data coming through - was a monumental disaster by our authorities.

There will be more trouble like this if something isn’t done. These young people have had no school, no structure, no sport, no part time job options, no shops, nothing. It’s going to boil over soon and maybe then people will realise locking people up for months on end - while all other countries used the new data coming through - was a monumental disaster by our authorities.

There are idiots in everyday life, Don’t make excuses these teenagers are just idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Give it a rest, no one is locked up. Where the **** are the parents!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't know how people can talk about people being "locked up", when clearly there were loads of people out today.

So much doublethink going on.

"It's a disgrace we're all locked up, but it's great to see so many people out."

It's either or - not both.

Give it a rest, no one is locked up. Where the **** are the parents!

There are signs at garden centres and shops saying ‘no children allowed’. You cannot bring them anywhere if you’re following the rules, not even a beach in this weather if it’s outside 5km, that is so wrong. Younger children are isolated, anxious and lonely.
    Older children/youths have zero structure in their lives currently- no sports, school, exams, part time work, shops, nothing. Parents might not be coping with this situation well at all.
    I’m not surprised to see the scenes on Salthill, there will be more trouble if we keep on our stupid nonsensical trajectory.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Pity about them, what they've had to put up with is a few weeks of inconvenience not some major hardship. We can see from their behaviour today that a lot of them are spoilt brats.

There are signs at garden centres and shops saying ‘no children allowed’. You cannot bring them anywhere if you’re following the rules, not even a beach in this weather if it’s outside 5km, that is so wrong. Younger children are isolated, anxious and lonely.
    Older children/youths have zero structure in their lives currently- no sports, school, exams, part time work, shops, nothing. Parents might not be coping with this situation well at all.
    I’m not surprised to see the scenes on Salthill, there will be more trouble if we keep on our stupid nonsensical trajectory.
    You are making it sound like the guards came into an estate to break up a game of five aside on the green.

A drunk teen got arrested (presumably for his own safety)
    and a bunch of others started abusing guards doing their jobs. There are no excuses for that.
    The videos sound like so much teenage drama.

• Advertisement

You are making it sound like the guards came into an estate to break up a game of five aside on the green.

A drunk teen got arrested (presumably for his own safety)
    and a bunch of others started abusing guards doing their jobs. There are no excuses for that.
    The videos sound like so much teenage drama.

I agree, their behaviour is absolutely shocking. I feel so sorry for the Gardai, they got such abuse. I’m not excusing anything at all re their behaviour. It’s awful.
    I’m just making the point that if we as a society leave youths with zero to do, there will be repercussions. Those youths have nothing to prepare for, probably encourages them to drink more, this will impact on all our safety. And ruin areas like the prom for the summer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I agree, their behaviour is absolutely shocking. I feel so sorry for the Gardai, they got such abuse. I’m not excusing anything at all re their behaviour. It’s awful.
    I’m just making the point that if we as a society leave youths with zero to do, there will be repercussions. Those youths have nothing to prepare for, probably encourages them to drink more, this will impact on all our safety. And ruin areas like the prom for the summer too.

Stop

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Stop

No, if you want to ignore the problem I’m afraid it won’t go away.

No, if you want to ignore the problem I’m afraid it won’t go away.

What's that - bad parenting? Your probably right it won't go away.

Ok, I'll bite. Go ahead, outline your solution that will allow the young uns out without restrictions, allow for social distancing to prevent the spread of covid, not lead to a second wave and is logical, realistic and achievable.

Unless, of course, your posts are just a general moan with no purpose to them other than to pointlessly complain. But I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

I look forward to reading your proposal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

God that's really appalling.
    Those guards are endangering themselves by intervening at the best of times not to mention right now when they might catch covid. Who knows if they go home to someone vulnerable.

We really need to stop telling these kids that they're going through hell and enduring something unthinkable by staying in. They have no frame of reference, they believe it. To listen to all this stuff about it affecting their mental health and them being denied social outings you would forgiven for thinking they'd been sent to the WW trenches when in reality they've been asked to sit on their arses with phones and a peer group experiencing the exact same thing as them.

Kids break a leg, get glandular fever, ME, get cancer and end up stuck at home for weeks or months on the end and they don't lose the plot. That's isolation, watching the world go on without you.
    What's happening now is a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Younger children are isolated, anxious and lonely.

There are scenes like this in shop st most weekends outside of lockdown. The kids are just acting out what they've seen older ones do.

What a load of absolute nonsense, a crowd of gobsh*te teens out causing trouble because of the terrible “hardship” of spending a few weeks at home. Their idiot parents are no better.

It’s laughable how a few people keep making out staying at home is akin to being the trenches in WW1. A good few in the video could do with actual locking up too, in a cell not the completely not locked up they are now.

What a great job the authorities in Ireland have done in keeping the virus under control, not letting it run wild and kill many thousands which you are in favour of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nothing that happened there today is anything to do with the current situation. A bunch of spoiled self entitled stupid kids doing stupid stuff when the sun shines. In other news, water is wet and the Titanic sank. These same kids were probably crying last week about the “stress” of their leaving cert in limbo.

I honestly don’t know how the Gardai involved there retained their composure. What an appalling job our limp wristed Government have handed them.

Ok, I'll bite. Go ahead, outline your solution that will allow the young uns out without restrictions, allow for social distancing to prevent the spread of covid, not lead to a second wave and is logical, realistic and achievable.

Unless, of course, your posts are just a general moan with no purpose to them other than to pointlessly complain. But I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

I look forward to reading your proposal

1. The virus has a death rate is 0.4% in people who are symptomatic, according to the latest information from the CDC. And only 0.25% in the wider population of the US as they estimate approx 35% of people are asymptomatic.
    I do not think the current restrictions are proportionate to this threat. And to the poster saying I’m in favour of ‘killing thousands’, I supported the lockdown initially as we needed to understand what was coming. The government have failed miserably at re-opening the country and it’s going to do huge damage to our international reputation,
    Young people should be back out, playing sports, going to camps, mixing. Getting on with their lives.
    Did you know there is statistically more of a chance of a child getting hit by lightning than getting a serious infection of Covid?
    2. Anyone under 55 who doesn’t have known risk factors should do the same as the death rate for such people is very low.
    3. Vulnerable groups should be shielded/social distance and protect themselves as best then can subject to their own situation.
    4. There is no evidence of a second wave anywhere currently, the virus is dying out at the same rate statistically in all European countries, regardless of restrictions taken. Many European countries have their barbers open, restaurants and shops using face masks and other precautions. They don’t have 5 and then 20km restrictions imposed on their population.
    5. The real issue in Ireland and other western countries were in nursing homes, this does not warrant us all destroying our economy and way of life indefinitely.
    6. Covid is currently all but eliminated in the community in Ireland. There should be very effective testing and testing systems in place now, after 8 weeks to get it set up. This would go a long way to eradication here in Ireland.
    7. Schools should absolutely open in late August/ September as normal, using hygiene measures, testing and tracing, clamping down on children who are sick being sent in.
    If we choose a social distancing, PPE route, we will permanently damage our children’s development and our education system. Children have been out of education since March, this alone will present a huge number of issues to teachers and schools. Time to get back to our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

1. The virus has a death rate is 0.4% in people who are symptomatic, according to the latest information from the CDC. And only 0.25% in the wider population of the US as they estimate approx 35% of people are asymptomatic.
    I do not think the current restrictions are proportionate to this threat. And to the poster saying I’m in favour of ‘killing thousands’, I supported the lockdown initially as we needed to understand what was coming. The government have failed miserably at re-opening the country and it’s going to do huge damage to our international reputation,
    Young people should be back out, playing sports, going to camps, mixing. Getting on with their lives.
    Did you know there is statistically more of a chance of a child getting hit by lightning than getting a serious infection of Covid?
    2. Anyone under 55 who doesn’t have known risk factors should do the same as the death rate for such people is very low.
    3. Vulnerable groups should be shielded/social distance and protect themselves as best then can subject to their own situation.
    4. There is no evidence of a second wave anywhere currently, the virus is dying out at the same rate statistically in all European countries, regardless of restrictions taken. Many European countries have their barbers open, restaurants and shops using face masks and other precautions. They don’t have 5 and then 20km restrictions imposed on their population.
    5. The real issue in Ireland and other western countries were in nursing homes, this does not warrant us all destroying our economy and way of life indefinitely.
    6. Covid is currently all but eliminated in the community in Ireland. There should be very effective testing and testing systems in place now, after 8 weeks to get it set up. This would go a long way to eradication here in Ireland.
    7. Schools should absolutely open in late August/ September as normal, using hygiene measures, testing and tracing, clamping down on children who are sick being sent in.
    If we choose a social distancing, PPE route, we will permanently damage our children’s development and our education system. Children have been out of education since March, this alone will present a huge number of issues to teachers and schools. Time to get back to our lives.

We'll need a twitter style fact check warnings for your nonsense posts.

Just check the CDC website, it’s all there under their ‘planning scenarios’ section.

Not prom related should be in the general chat section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

https://twitter.com/hannahlxmx/status/1266795763050438659?s=09

Police brutality in Galway!

Taking drinking teenagers away isn’t brutality go back to pretending to care about the environment

Police brutality, don't make me laugh. What a fúcking a*hole, policing here is amongst the softest in Europe (often too soft). I've seen heavy handed police behaviour in Italy, Czechia, Hungary and France. Gardaí are pussycats by comparison.

Sorry I'm confused now! Should we open our country like other European countries with this ppe in place for barbers etc.. but we do this and we'll permanently damage our children's development with these measures?

Is your solution to just turn off all restrictions immediately and see what happens? And if the second wave comes then what is your proposal because if you think the economy is taking a hit now then you'll not like what a second round could do.

As for other countries, some have opened a bit quicker and some have not, in Ireland next Monday all going well there will be stories of more businesses opening up and economy improving. We did not have as severe a lock down as other countries so we have a different way to come out of it, you can't compare us to other countries that had severe lock downs were citizens couldn't leave there house.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭39steps

NUU Galway has decided a Health Fact Checker for Covid-19, have a look and post questions to them:.

https://ihealthfacts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Seamai wrote: »
    Police brutality, don't make me laugh. What a fúcking a*hole, policing here is amongst the softest in Europe (often too soft). I've seen heavy handed police behaviour in Italy, Czechia, Hungary and France. Gardaí are pussycats comparison.

Agreed, what happened to having a bit of respect for the law so that when they say disperse you disperse especially kids or teens. Way too soft policing here in Ireland, look at the Guards patrolling the roads everyday, constant no tax/nct/insurance, banned drivers. Lock these little pups up for a night, give them water and bread , f##kers, kids learn their behaviour mostly from their parents. With regards the p##ck shouting "fam" and "feds" , this is the future of Ireland. That lad should be grateful for the opportunities this country will present him as opposed to the land of his parents/grandparents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Some parents in this county are an absolute disgrace from a parenting perspective. Some are far too self obsessed to put any effort into parenting. They see schools as baby sitting services and expect the gardaí to do the baby sitting now that schools are out.

In an ideal world the parents of any kid outside 5km or participating in underage drinking, in this instance, should be heavily fined.

Such a disheartening sense of entitlement, selfishness and disrespect coming from those kids. I have little doubt where they get is from.

Immature kids are going to be Immature kids, but the parents ought to know better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Towns and villages all over Ireland have been struggling with law and order for a number of years and sadly it’s getting worse . Lack of diligent garda , soft on crime politicians , out of touch judges all contributing to a nastier ireland .

Lots of PC travellers rights , new Irish rights etc also have played a major part , most of them live near RTÉ in Dublin but Galway City has a number of these cloud cuckoo land types as well .

• Advertisement

Surely this deserves a thread of its own

Advertisement