Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Homelander

"Police brutality", amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd love to know what you were all like when you were their ages. How many posters here, on either side of the debate, are actually parents themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

flazio wrote: »
    I'd love to know what you were all like when you were their ages. How many posters here, on either side of the debate, are actually parents themselves?

In all fairness we didn't have a pandemic with a new infectious disease at their age. We didn't have to live with restrictions to contain a virus at that age.

We now have a global pandemic with a novel coronavirus and meeting in large groups is advised against.

Many of these youngsters want to meet their friends but they only want to meet them under their own conditions and form large groups. What's wrong with a meet up in a back yard for now?

Also when will the Irish get a grip on safety in the sun? I saw the videos yesterday and they must have been recorded late in the afternoon about 4 or 5 in the evening.
    Sitting out in the mid day sun - again more sh1te that's advised against. In mainland Europe and Australia when they have sun and heat like that, they don't sit in it. They manage the days to get stuff done in the mornings and evenings avoiding the mid day sun and heat.

I think while people are disapproving of the social gatherings, the real issue is the unbelievably poor attitudes of many of the teenagers and their complete lack of respect for Gardai in this case.

I can understand some teenagers not caring about social distancing and just wanting to have a good time with their friends in the sun.

"Ah, they're just teenagers" doesn't really cut it when talking about assaulting and verbally abusing Gardai when asked to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Homelander wrote: »
    I think while people are disapproving of the social gatherings, the real issue is the unbelievably poor attitudes of many of the teenagers and their complete lack of respect for Gardai in this case.

I can understand some teenagers not caring about social distancing and just wanting to have a good time with their friends in the sun.

"Ah, they're just teenagers" doesn't really cut it when talking about assaulting and verbally abusing Gardai when asked to move on.

Do you remember the "who's a sexy garda" video from a few years back? This is just a slightly younger version.

Respect for the law and authority is not a big factor in Irish culture. That's why many of the pandemic responses here have been presented as recommendations not requirements.

• Advertisement

Do you remember the "who's a sexy garda" video from a few years back? This is just a slightly younger version.

Respect for the law and authority is not a big factor in Certain aspects of Irish culture. That's why many of the pandemic responses here have been presented as recommendations not requirements.
    Small but in my opinion important adjustment to your post.

Respect for the law and authority is not a big factor in Irish culture. That's why many of the pandemic responses here have been presented as recommendations not requirements.

:confused:

Drunk people shouting "Who's a sexy Garda" is the same as a horde of young people physically assaulting Gardai and roaring abuse at them to the extent that major backup was required?

You come out with some strange points sometimes but you honestly cannot seriously be making that comparison.

Let me see? What are they around 15? Great weather at the end of May on Saturday I would have been in the cab of a tractor doing silage from early morning on one of the three family farms I spend any weekend or school holiday working on.

That is not normal behaviour can’t believe you would even attempt to try justify it with nonsense like “what were ye at when that age”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Depends on what authority you're talking about.
    If it's law and order, the large majority of this country obey the laws and respect the people enforcing it.
    It's one of the reasons we have can have an unarmed police force.
    What happened on Salthill was disgraceful and if I had my way the Gardai would have taken a much harder line with those kids, so fair play to them for their patience.
    Maybe in time those kids will realise how fortunate they are to live in a country where you're not batton charged, pepper sprayed or worse, at the drop of a hat.

Also, you may think, as a foreigner, your outsiders point of view offers an insight to this country, it's people and cultures.
    It doesn't. And often comes across as condescending and insulting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The prom was stunning this morning

• Advertisement

They widen the bollards along the prom, leaves a load of room of cyclists either side of the road. Hopefully when normality resumes they do a proper cycle path either side and find alternatives for car parking

What’s the relevance of web cameras in other countries in the prom thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭buzz11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What’s the relevance of web cameras in other countries in the prom thread?

Just showing there getting on with life, if this was the prom we would posters giving out about social distancing you could not line up for a coffee in Salthill without some comment here, nice to see them getting back after the terrible time they had with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭Bredabe

buzz11 wrote: »

Great to see this young person take responsibility for their behaviour, but I take issue with them saying they didnt know 'the meaning of their words'. Nothing in the video made me think he had a processing issue or was lacking understanding of english words.

Hopefully they can do something about retreaving the video.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

buzz11 wrote: »

Just a young lad, hopefully he learns and grows from this.

While nothing will change what was said or the behavior, I'm at least impressed that he went public with an apology. I strongly suspect his parents were behind that, probably appalled at his behavior to be honest.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just showing there getting on with life, if this was the prom we would posters giving out about social distancing you could not line up for a coffee in Salthill without some comment here, nice to see them getting back after the terrible time they had with the virus.

Time will tell if they are making a wise decision, I'd much prefer to opt of our cautious approach for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭laguacamaya

Went for a few beverages in Salthill at sunset last night, fearing the weather was going to break today. Sitting in the park gettin' all deep'n meaningless with an old friend...We heard a deep Connemara accent from behind "Ye might appreciate these later on, lads"...Twas a Guard, plonking 2 cans of (obviously confiscated) cider on the ground between us. He bade us good evening and walked off towards the next gathering of teenage scallywags...We just looked at each other and laughed knowingly;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,443 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Went for a few beverages in Salthill at sunset last night, fearing the weather was going to break today. Sitting in the park gettin' all deep'n meaningless with an old friend...We heard a deep Connemara accent from behind "Ye might appreciate these later on, lads"...Twas a Guard, plonking 2 cans of (obviously confiscated) cider on the ground between us. He bade us good evening and walked off towards the next gathering of teenage scallywags...We just looked at each other and laughed knowingly;-)

Haha, nice one, decent of him... common sense prevails.

Reminds me of a couple of years ago, I'm outside Croke Park and I ask a random Garda to point me in the direction of the kiosk selling tickets... and he pulled 2 tickets from his pocket and hands them to me.

Most Guards could teach their American counterparts a thing or two.

How’d the car get on the rocks? Poor auld lad must have gotten an awful shock, thankfully & luckily no one was hurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Apparently he was reversing.

How’d the car get on the rocks? Poor auld lad must have gotten an awful shock, thankfully & luckily no one was hurt

Poor auld lad or lass needs the licence taken off him/her. Imagine if a kid had been standing there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Could have ended up way worse if the tide was in, Galway Lifeboat & Irish Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue115 from Shannon tasked to this also.

Poor auld lad or lass needs the licence taken off him/her. Imagine if a kid had been standing there.

And yet some folks have an irrational fear of bikes and prefer cars be given priority, go figure eh

It was accident, could have happened anyone including you, have a little empathy

It was accident, could have happened anyone including you, have a little empathy

Anyone who was reversing fast enough to get that far onto the rocks at that point lacks basic vehicle control skills. Sad if s/he had those skills but has now lost them - but the aging process affects everyone and the RSA regularly take licences off people who have become a danger to themselves and others.

And yes, car drivers have to be licenced. That licence can be be removed. Unlike bicycle drivers, who can continue no matter how incompetent. So I do feel safer around car drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

New as soon as I saw the story that it was going to be an elderly driver.
    They're a scourge.

More over 65s die on the roads than any other age group.

Every driver should have passed a test and should be mandatory retesting over a certain age.

Advertisement