Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Anyone who was reversing fast enough to get that far onto the rocks at that point lacks basic vehicle control skills. Sad if s/he had those skills but has now lost them - but the aging process affects everyone and the RSA regularly take licences off people who have become a danger to themselves and others.

And yes, car drivers have to be licenced. That licence can be be removed. Unlike bicycle drivers, who can continue no matter how incompetent. So I do feel safer around car drivers.

heard the car malfunctioned. Come down off your high horse til all the facts come out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Will it ever be safe to walk the prom again? Ever?
    Unlikely, they should bite the bullet and just plough it all into the sea. Footpath, railings, walkers, dog poo, swimmers, rocks, moaners....the whole damn lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Rodin wrote: »
    New as soon as I saw the story that it was going to be an elderly driver.
    They're a scourge.

More over 65s die on the roads than any other age group.

Every driver should have passed a test and should be mandatory retesting over a certain age.

I am sure the though crossed your mind that some day you will be elderly and you will want to be driving your car around, also posting with out knowing the facts is just stupid, the car had a malfunction which caused the problem, thank God they are ok. Have you parents that drive

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rodin wrote: »

More over 65s die on the roads than any other age group.

Every driver should have passed a test and should be mandatory retesting over a certain age.

In fairness, more over 65s die than any other age group, from any cause.

And if it was a vehicle malfunction, then I expect we'll be seeing a major recall of that make / model very shortly.

And if it was a vehicle malfunction, then I expect we'll be seeing a major recall of that make / model very shortly.

Not if its just some failure due to some wear and tear item, not maintained etc which is far more likely than a manufacturer fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It appears to be an old Nissan Primera, i.e. banger territory or very close to it. There's not going to be a major recall. :pac:

My guess is, the poor old guy was probably trying to do a U-turn when pulling in or moving into a parking spot by the footpath and he over-egged it in reverse gear or maybe his foot slipped off the clutch or something like that. He was fortunate no one was behind him for sure.

In fairness, more over 65s die than any other age group, from any cause.

Good job your not in charge of car recalls, if you would recall every car that would have a malfunction on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Have to say, it's a delight seeing Salthill so 'open' without all the parked cars spoiling the view. It really changes the tone and landscape of the place
    Should be made permanent

zell12 wrote: »
    Have to say, it's a delight seeing Salthill so 'open' without all the parked cars spoiling the view. It really changes the tone and landscape of the place
    Should be made permanent

If you were in business there you would not say that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If you were in business there you would not say that

They've removed the car parks have they?

• Advertisement

They've removed the car parks have they?

They've closed off the car parks.

Edit: Obviously that wouldn't be permanent!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They've closed off the car parks.

Edit: Obviously that wouldn't be permanent!

Really? That wasn't mentioned last week unless I missed it,all they were doing was removing the parking along the Prom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Really? That wasn't mentioned last week unless I missed it,all they were doing was removing the parking along the Prom.
    Parking at the Aquarium and across from the cinema gone too. Plenty just parking at Leisureland instead.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Parking at the Aquarium and across from the cinema gone too. Plenty just parking at Leisureland instead.

There is appx 100 spaces at leisureland and that's it for Salthill at present

Strange the city council blocked the parking, don't see anything in the government framework to dictate that. I know the gardai requested (not ordered) it but since when do they get involved in public health advice.

It's a pity they blocked that coastal cycle lane last year, businesses wouldn't have as much impact from restricted parking again this year. Businesses in Dublin are doing very well along the route where they brought that in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

It's a pity they blocked that coastal cycle lane last year, businesses wouldn't have as much impact from restricted parking again this year. Businesses in Dublin are doing very well along the route where they brought that in.

Interesting observation - you are probably right if one took a long term vision of it, unfortunately our authorities here are very reactive rather than pro-active.

Should be made permanent

There are lots of amenities that would be great if they were restricted to people who live within walking distance only.

But that's not really how cities work.

Has bicycle parking also been blocked off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

There are lots of amenities that would be great if they were restricted to people who live within walking distance only.

But that's not really how cities work.

What a ridiculous suggestion! The bi-cyclers are wholesome, pure and good, and nothing should be done to inconvenience them in the same way as the users of other modes of transport.

it has. See Blackrock if ya can walk that far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

See Blackrock if ya can walk that far

Lovely

• Advertisement

Not really, there's bike parking in the carpark with the entrance blocked but easily accessible by bike. I think the racks at Blackrock might be behind barriers now too.

Don't see why they'd block them though since the government Level 5 transport advice is "walk or cycle where possible".

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Lovely

Lovely day for a walk alright. :D

Don't see why they'd block them though since the government Level 5 transport advice is "walk or cycle where possible".

It's actually walk or cycle where possible instead of using public transport, which is now reserved for essential journeys.

Parking in Salthill has been removed to encourage people to stay within 5km of home. All modes should be equally affected, to allow those within walking distance plenty of space.

Personally Blackrock is within my 5km, so I might consider a weekend stroll if it warms up.

It's actually walk or cycle where possible instead of using public transport, which is now reserved for essential journeys.

Bus stops and bike parking should remain open everywhere. If you don't drive and need to do a grocery shop, getting on the bike is the safer option and to be encouraged over public transport.
    Personally Blackrock is within my 5km, so I might consider a weekend stroll if it warms up.

Blackrock is within 5km of almost half the city population! It's within the restrictions for tens of thousands of people.

Are you within walking distance of Blackrock? That seems to be the travel restriction the city council are working off rather than the government framework. The prom is still busy with parking blocked.

Why not just widen the prom into the blocked parking spaces, making the prom safer and allow people to get healthy exercise for the body and mind. Also open the carparks for badge holders.

Blackrock is within 5km of almost half the city population! It's within the restrictions for tens of thousands of people.

Yup

538537.jpg

Why not just widen the prom into the blocked parking spaces, making the prom safer and allow people to get healthy exercise for the body and mind. Also open the carparks for badge holders.

The strategy right now is to reduce mobility for as many people as possible to reduce the spread. What you are suggesting would enable additional mobility, which, while not a bad thing generally, is not something to be considered at level 5.

As for badge holders, those would be among the highest vulnerabilities and would be strongly recommended to remain isolated unless absolutely necessary.

A stroll along the prom is something most can forego for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

More anti-parking wands installed along golf course wall. What is going on?

The strategy right now is to reduce mobility for as many people as possible to reduce the spread. What you are suggesting would enable additional mobility, which, while not a bad thing generally, is not something to be considered at level 5.

Yeah that's fair. Probably more suited to Level 4 to 3 as people start mixing again but try to keep social distancing as people get out for exercise on a wider prom. Maybe even a one way system, go west on the old prom and return by the road.

We should open up the 2 actual car parks then too, and parking on the village-side by the aquarium.

Maybe even a one way system, go west on the old prom and return by the road.

Or on the empty footpath on the other side of the road.

Most pedestrians cannot even manage to keep left on existing footpaths, or to follow on-floor arrows in shopping centres. I doubt they'll be disciplined about an artificial distinction on the prom.

Far better to simply take walks on one of the many non-sea-front routes. An added bonus is that these actually have some (admittedly gentle) hills in them so do actually provide a bit of real exercise.

Most pedestrians cannot even manage to keep left on existing footpaths

Since when is keeping left on footpaths a thing?

• Advertisement

More anti-parking wands installed along golf course wall. What is going on?

Preparation for a NEW footpath from Spinnaker to Blackrock Diving tower?

Advertisement