Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭wassie

Great pic. Made the trip in yday for what was an absolute stunning afternoon - great to see seniors eating ice creams and kids laughing about again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Why are the public car parks still closed on the prom? Absolute joke people parking on small roads and streets while the carparks lie empty

Parking at the Prom and Silverstrand will be reopening on 26th April;
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=5390794974325753&id=100001859126265

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Why are the public car parks still closed on the prom? Absolute joke people parking on small roads and streets while the carparks lie empty

I had to run to the bank today and normally would have parked along the prom, walked up, done my business, and linger probably patronising other businesses as I was there. Instead I just ran in and left due to pay and display. That said, the prom has been quite busy at the weekends so if they allowed parking while the 5K limit was on it might have been heaving. Now the 5k limit is lifted hopefully we'll spread out a bit.

I had to run to the bank today and normally would have parked along the prom, walked up, done my business, and linger probably patronising other businesses as I was there. Instead I just ran in and left due to pay and display. That said, the prom has been quite busy at the weekends so if they allowed parking while the 5K limit was on it might have been heaving. Now the 5k limit is lifted hopefully we'll spread out a bit.

Yes it’s ridiculous that they’re not providing public parking. Also Blackrock swimming area is still fenced off? What purpose does this serve? Are Galway City council ok with people parking along residential streets while public carparks remain empty as the 5k has been lifted since Monday. Also saw lots of huge coaches lined up along a narrow street as their street parking has been taken away. What a load of absolute cow pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes it’s ridiculous that they’re not providing public parking. Also Blackrock swimming area is still fenced off? What purpose does this serve? Are Galway City council ok with people parking along residential streets while public carparks remain empty as the 5k has been lifted since Monday. Also saw lots of huge coaches lined up along a narrow street as their street parking has been taken away. What a load of absolute cow pat.

Might be the way things will be. Less parking more cycle lanes etc. etc.

saabsaab wrote: »
    Might be the way things will be. Less parking more cycle lanes etc. etc.

So because salthill needs cycling lanes, there should be no public parking in Salthill? As there currently is no public parking in Salthill despite the 5k being lifted on Monday.

I don't know. Might be trying for something like Dun Laoghaire proposal?

As there currently is no public parking in Salthill despite the 5k being lifted on Monday.

It wasn't linked to the 5km exercise limit.

The mayor seems to suggest it was linked to the "Outdoor attractions" which are closed and reopen on 26th. I suppose closing parking closes it as a tourist attraction but keeps it available for local exercise. The barriers at Blackrock have been widely ignored for a couple of months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

So because salthill needs cycling lanes, there should be no public parking in Salthill? As there currently is no public parking in Salthill despite the 5k being lifted on Monday.

Where do people sign up for this Black and White perspective of the World?
    There is 100's of public car parking spaces in Salthill right now - there are ZERO, i.e "0.000 meters" of Cycle lanes in Salthill right now. These are facts.
    Council City have already rolled over once on providing 2 way cycling on the sea-side of the prom side in 2020 during the pandemic - perceived cycles that do not physically exist anywhere in Salthill have absolutely ZERO to do with private car's parking on public car parking area's in Salthill.

• Advertisement

Where do people sign up for this Black and White perspective of the World?
    There is 100's of public car parking spaces in Salthill right now - there are ZERO, i.e "0.000 meters" of Cycle lanes in Salthill right now. These are facts.
    Council City have already rolled over once on providing 2 way cycling on the sea-side of the prom side in 2020 during the pandemic - perceived cycles that do not physically exist anywhere in Salthill have absolutely ZERO to do with private car's parking on public car parking area's in Salthill.

What on earth are you talking about? What has my point got to do with cycle lanes? What black and white perspective? Are you saying the public carparks fenced off are not?
    The 5k limit was lifted on April 12th. Other carparks in County Galway are all open for parking, including at other parks and areas people like to visit.
    Point out on a map where the 100s of parking spaces in Salthill right now are.
    And don't even get me started as to why they've left those absolutely disgusting fences at BlackRock where people still swim regardless.

What has my point got to do with cycle lanes?
    I have no idea - you tell me

[HTML]Originally Posted by CruelSummer View Post
    So because salthill needs cycling lanes, there should be no public parking in Salthill?[/HTML]

Point out on a map where the 100s of parking spaces in Salthill right now are.
    On street car parking in the village and all other side street residential streets in that area - its everywhere that people do not actually see it. Take away the coastal road along the prom - everywhere else has car parking.

On street car parking in the village and all other side street residential streets in that area - its everywhere that people do not actually see it. Take away the coastal road along the prom - everywhere else has car parking.

So let me get this straight...people in the area are currently actively trying to block access to the Prom to anyone outside of the immediate locality by not reopening carparks, on street parking, or designated sea swimming areas...
    And this has somehow got something to do with cycling also...

Note: All other carparks at parks and beauty in Galway County have reopened.

I have no idea - you tell me

[HTML]Originally Posted by CruelSummer View Post
    So because salthill needs cycling lanes, there should be no public parking in Salthill?[/HTML]

I asked a question in this quote, which you didn't answer. Do you not want public parking areas in Sathill, it's quite a simple question.
    You seem to want to argue about cycle lanes for some reason and bring it into the carparks being closed debate.

So let me get this straight...people in the area are currently actively trying to block access to the Prom to anyone outside of the immediate locality by not reopening carparks, on street parking, or designated sea swimming areas...
    And this has somehow got something to do with cycling also...

Note: All other carparks at parks and beauty in Galway County have reopened.
    It has ZERO to do with cycling, cycle paths, cycle lanes - that is the point. You are the one who said

[HTML]So because salthill needs cycling lanes, there should be no public parking in Salthill?[/HTML]

Those "people" that you talk about are the Gardai.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/parking-facilities-at-salthill-prom-to-reopen-on-april-26/
    "
    Car parks and parking along the Salthill Promenade and Silverstrand in Galway City will reopen on April 26.

Galway City Council has decided to reopening parking facilities in Salthill later this month following consultation with An Garda Síochána.
    "

It has ZERO to do with cycling, cycle paths, cycle lanes - that is the point. You are the one who said

[HTML]So because salthill needs cycling lanes, there should be no public parking in Salthill?[/HTML]

Those "people" that you talk about are the Gardai.
    https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/parking-facilities-at-salthill-prom-to-reopen-on-april-26/
    "
    Car parks and parking along the Salthill Promenade and Silverstrand in Galway City will reopen on April 26.

Galway City Council has decided to reopening parking facilities in Salthill later this month following consultation with An Garda Síochána.
    "

So again you didn’t answer the direct question re whether you think the carparks should be open and accessible now the 5k has been lifted or not. You also kept mentioning cycling as the issue along with a previous poster and then stated this has ZERO to do with cycling. I love cycling and it would be great to get a lane at the prom. But that’s not the issue here, unless your agenda is to keep the area inaccessible to non locals.
    Your information re carparks doesn’t give any reasoning as to why the area is still currently closed off while all other public amenities have reopened.

You also kept mentioning cycling as the issue along with a previous poster and then stated this has ZERO to do with cycling.

There were many calls to trial cycle lanes while the parking was restricted and outdoor exercise and active travel was encouraged, but it's not a reason for why the parking is restricted.

Salthill is one of the biggest tourist attractions of the public outdoor amenities so that's probably why they're trying to restrict the numbers. It's the City Council you want to be asking, they say the Gardai requested it and they agreed to limit the parking.

It would be better to permanently restrict car parking on the prom itself and allow priority to walkers, cyclists and public transport. Other areas could be found for parking with transport links to Salthill.

So again you didn’t answer the direct question re whether you think the carparks should be open and accessible now the 5k has been lifted or not. .....Your information re carparks doesn’t give any reasoning as to why the area is still currently closed off while all other public amenities have reopened.

Its really irrelevant what I think - you need to ring Salthill or Millstreet Gardai Station to get your answer for that.

• Advertisement

Its really irrelevant what I think - you need to ring Salthill or Millstreet Gardai Station to get your answer for that.

So in your opinion members of the public aren't allowed to have a view on why Salthill is currently cordoned off to anyone outside the locality despite the 5k being lifted on April 12th. And members of the public if they park on any side streets or areas close to Salthill could be clamped I've since learned - but that's ok.
    The Gardaí do not decide this policy, but they do implement it - it is Galway City Council who make this decision. I find it very hard to believe all other public parks and areas have reopened to the public both in Galway County and Nationally and Salthill is the exception to this rule for an unspecified reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone can come to Salthill.
    Just leave the car behind.

So in your opinion members of the public aren't allowed to have a view on why Salthill is currently cordoned off to anyone outside the locality despite the 5k being lifted on April 12th. And members of the public if they park on any side streets or areas close to Salthill could be clamped I've since learned - but that's ok.
    You gotta staring quoting people.
    Anybody can have a view on it, am 100% with that. I said my view on it was irrelevant. Thats why you should CALL the Gardai to get the power brokers view on it.
    What I do know - the reason car parking has been banned since the April 12th has still ZERO to do with idea's of a cycles lanes, cycle paths

All those local people within 5km - that is basically everybody in Galway City Centre and West of the Corrib.
    How many people have been clamped?

Any word of the coffee place at Ladies Beach opening?

My understanding was that Jungle Cafe had the contract until the end of last year so had to close in Dec. It normally closes for the winter and goes up for tender in March but haven't seen the Council offer it yet. Wonder if they'll move now with their apparent amenity re-opening on 26th April.

Shame to see a fully outdoor dining option closed for 4 months when there's certainly demand. Give plenty of outdoor meet-up options and keep people from visiting houses for a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Other areas could be found for parking with transport links to Salthill.

People do not typically use public transport for leisure activities in this country. I don't rate your chances of getting anyone to catch a shuttle-bus in order to walk the prom.

It would be better to develop a proper beach on the east of the city.

People do not typically use public transport for leisure activities in this country. I don't rate your chances of getting anyone to catch a shuttle-bus in order to walk the prom.

It would be better to develop a proper beach on the east of the city.

We might change? The East, where would be suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We don't like change but we love free parking.

I walk there, I cycle there, and I also drive there with the family.

I don't understand the obsession of some to ruin a nice thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The East, where would be suitable?

I'll leave that to the engineers and planners. I know the council do have some long term ambitious in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

All dog walkers should be banned from the Prom, fooking state of it the last few months - dog **** everywhere. Clearly not just isolated to a few dog owners/walkers as its so bad.

• Advertisement

We don't like change but we love free parking.

I walk there, I cycle there, and I also drive there with the family.

I don't understand the obsession of some to ruin a nice thing.

They are trying to improve it I'd say. Too much space taken up with car parking there.

Advertisement