Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The red one will probably be the most popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

There are equally spaces along the Salthill seafront where there is not enough space for grade-separated lanes for each mode, unless a significant amount of space is removed from pedestrians.
    Your failing to take into account the Carriageway widths with this argument. They can be reduced if a two -way sea-side cycle path is to be installed. There is plenty of space - that is one of the reason's the Council were going to run with this last year. No CPO's would have been required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Galway City Council looking for feedback regarding parking in Salthill.

Salthill Parking Survey:

https://www.galwaycity.ie/maintenance-strategy-projects

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

buzz11 wrote: »
    Heard today that Seamount (off Threadneedle rd) is introducing clamping to deter prom visitors from parking there, I'm not surprised, Threadneedle rd is a real bottleneck at the moment
    Cars clamped in Seamount on Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun. Must be a money-maker for Apcoa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

zell12 wrote: »
    Cars clamped in Seamount on Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun. Must be a money-maker for Apcoa

Thanks to this attitude, the message has been received loud and clear. Visitors are not welcome to Salthill. Most people are avoiding it like the plague this year. Videos of unruly types, clamping, fencing it off even after County travel reopened on April 12th. Trying to block people swimming in the sea to keep themselves sane. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thanks to this attitude, the message has been received loud and clear. Visitors are not welcome to Salthill. Most people are avoiding it like the plague this year. Videos of unruly types, clamping, fencing it off even after County travel reopened on April 12th. Trying to block people swimming in the sea to keep themselves sane. Good luck.

Wow what a self entitled rant. Imagine buying a house and not being able to park near it because some inconsiderate flute is parking across the driveway and someone still thinks you've a bad attitude 🙄

Most people are avoiding it like the plague this year.

Strange, it had seemed quite busy...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Strange, it had seemed quite busy...

By most I believe they meant very few, I'm interpreting but fairly sure that's it.

Wait, there's a plague? Where? Who? When?

Wow what a self entitled rant. Imagine buying a house and not being able to park near it because some inconsiderate flute is parking across the driveway and someone still thinks you've a bad attitude 🙄

The only reason people were parking on that road was because the City Council had closed all parking and public access despite County travel reopening on April 12th. There was nowhere for anyone to park.
    The attitude of people towards those who want to travel and visit Salthill has been openly hostile on this thread, even when County travel reopened. It’s clear what the agenda is by some - just make it accessible to those who can walk / cycle to it. Fair enough - as I said. Message has been received loud & clear. It is being avoided by many who would have to travel to get to it. Footfall has gone elsewhere.

• Advertisement

The only reason people were parking on that road was because the City Council had closed all parking and public access despite County travel reopening on April 12th. There was nowhere for anyone to park.
    The attitude of people towards those who want to travel and visit Salthill has been openly hostile on this thread, even when County travel reopened. It’s clear what the agenda is by some - just make it accessible to those who can walk / cycle to it. Fair enough - as I said. Message has been received loud & clear. It is being avoided by many who would have to travel to get to it. Footfall has gone elsewhere.

What a weird rant

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

What days have you been out there measuring footfall, out of interest? Dry days? Wetter, grey days? Weekdays v weekends? Day or night?

The only reason people were parking on that road was because the City Council had closed all parking and public access despite County travel reopening on April 12th.

The parking has been reopened for ages...?!
    zell12 wrote: »

So I have to measure footfall when making a general comment I see - numerous people that usually go to Salthill have said to me they are actively avoiding it this year, I’ve met so many others on alternative beaches I cannot keep count.

Post called ‘weird’ for stating facts re parking & prom closed off way past when County travel reopened.

It’s almost as if those shouting about getting rid of cars from the prom & clamping as many days as week as possible might be putting people off…

Not to mention groups of youths going wild on the beach & ending up all over social media via some video probably filmed without their permission.

So I have to measure footfall when making a general comment I see - numerous people that usually go to Salthill have said to me they are actively avoiding it this year, I’ve met so many others on alternative beaches I cannot keep count.

Post called ‘weird’ for stating facts re parking & prom closed off way past when County travel reopened.

It’s almost as if those shouting about getting rid of cars from the prom & clamping as many days as week as possible might be putting people off…

Not to mention groups of youths going wild on the beach & ending up all over social media via some video probably filmed without their permission.

Leave the car at home, park in Galway city and get the bus out, walk out, cycle out, get a taxi

You have options, use them, or rant, up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My self and the wife are regular in Salthill walk the prom and the beach sit on the benches and I have seen nothing like what you are saying happening there , Salthill was packed over the last few fine weekends with people eating and drinking and swimming, love the place we are very lucky to have it on our doorstep .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was there twice today, once at Approx 11.00am and again @ 3.00pm, drove out there on both occasions and got parking each time without any hassle.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Just nine fines for dog fouling have been issued in Galway over the last five years!! I assume that's the county too. Nuts. https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/galway-records-low-number-of-dog-fouling-fines-over-last-five-years/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Enforcement isn't Galway City Council's bag, baby! Unless it is about outdoor seating and murals, of course.

Advertisement