Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Storm 10 wrote: »
    How the he'll did we get from the prom to coffee shops and alcohol in this thread

We were allowed as they are close enough :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Coco is in the prom so not hard to figure that out really...

Eh? According to posts 87-92, which you thanked every one of, the prom is only the seaward side footpath. Coco is on the opposite side, so by your definition it's not on the prom.

(Me, I'm sticking to the idea that "the prom" includes the road and both footpaths on both Upper Salthill, as well as on the road called Seapoint Promenade.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Eh? According to posts 87-92, which you thanked every one of...

Go out and get some fresh air Mrs OBumble...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

gold

but considering how pedantic others are MrsOB has a fair point. Lets get back to the real issue here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are levels of dog poop on Prom increasing or decreasing during this pandemic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

zell12 wrote: »
    Are levels of dog poop on Prom increasing or decreasing during this pandemic?

The creamery ice cream place was open today too. Now I'll run off now and see who gets annoyed with it being open and annoyed that anyone would dare to think that it's a bad idea. All I said was that it was open today......

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Today the guards have put out yellow no parking cones around Blackrock and had 'officers' :confused: there this morning talking to people.

Meanwhile, around the corner, there are numerous cars parked on Threadneedle rd -- seems like its a 'park & walk' type evasion :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The creamery ice cream place was open today too. Now I'll run off now and see who gets annoyed with it being open and annoyed that anyone would dare to think that it's a bad idea. All I said was that it was open today......

To me it just highlights how many people still don't get what's been asked of us - stay at home!

The number 1 thing your being asked is to stay at home, that should be everyone's priority. Then after that there is a limited number of reasons for leaving the house if necessary otherwise stay indoors and save life's.

There are still people from outside 2km going to the prom and these places (adjacent to the prom, that better!) encourage that and are not essential services. Limit your interaction with people and break the chain that allows the virus to spread.

Yes I'd love to pop out for a long walk and grab some ice cream but we're being asked not to. The sooner we get over this then the sooner we'll get back to normal life styles.

Hopefully once the curve starts to flatten we can all go get some ice cream, maybe a boards ice cream meet 😉 since the bars are closed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

The prom is full of people, lot of cars parked along upper salthill road so a lot of people still coming from outside the 2km radius

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

The prom is full of people, lot of cars parked along upper salthill road so a lot of people still coming from outside the 2km radius

Good weather will mean more people out and about very hard to police without permanent barriered checkpoints on all routes and resident or work passes maybe thats next

brutes1 wrote: »
    Good weather will mean more people out and about very hard to police without permanent barriered checkpoints on all routes and resident or work passes maybe thats next

Put up cones/no parking signs the length of the road, anyone parking, issue them with a fine, pretty simple really

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Park being blocked at well, I only ever saw ppl playing or observing sd once the second rules kicked in.

This will force ppl who have little space in their homes and used to exercise in the park, into the smaller residential green patches and condense more people into smaller space.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    Park being blocked at well, I only ever saw ppl playing or observing sd once the second rules kicked in.

This will force ppl who have little space in their homes and used to exercise in the park, into the smaller residential green patches and condense more people into smaller space.

Very slowly reducing the confinement space for people to their housing estates . Ours was packed yesterday must have been 70-80 people outside on a green the size of less than 2 pitches all in their own family groups . Not sure why parks arent open when people are out at the mo in the sun in such tight areas

Very slowly reducing the confinement space for people to their housing estates . Ours was packed yesterday must have been 70-80 people outside on a green the size of less than 2 pitches all in their own family groups . Not sure why parks arent open when people are out at the mo in the sun in such tight areas

How about the people stay in their houses and back gardens.

The guards should be driving around all the estates and sending people into their homes/issuing fines for people sitting around in greens or other common areas.

Sitting around a green area of an estate is not allowed nor is using a park except for a brief walk once per day if its within 2km of your house. If they open parks people will sit around with other absolute brain dead idiots so they cant be open.

Army and guards getting very thick with people and fining/arresting is the only way to deal with the idiots who just cant stay at home, and that included sitting around in greens in housing estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Bredabe wrote: »

South park?

This is a very important point that's being missed by the Council.

The guards should be driving around all the estates and sending people into their homes/issuing fines for people sitting around in greens or other common areas.

Sitting around a green area of an estate is not allowed nor is using a park except for a brief walk once per day if its within 2km of your house. If they open parks people will set around with other absolute brain dead idiots so they cant be open.

Army and guards getting very thick with people and fining/arresting is the only way to deal with the idiots who just cant stay at home, and that included sitting around in greens in housing estates.

No back gardens where we are all apartments/flats ! Dont have that luxury
    People need to get out esp with kids and teens in the apartments i
    Everyone was walking or playing around green areas

Your suggestion of the army is not one that would sit well in a democracy which I think Ireland is - just about at this stage .

My point is that people are now corralled into very small areas
    and that leads to bigger crowds . Open the parks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

Sitting around a green area of an estate is not allowed nor is using a park except for a brief walk once per day if its within 2km of your house. If they open parks people will sit around with other absolute brain dead idiots so they cant be open.

Cop yourself on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Keeping the parks closed makes lots of sense when trying to contain something like this

If someone in your estate gets covid and the only place they have been is your estate green. The only people they can infect is people in your estate.
    If they are let go to a park well people from another estate can go there too so now that's 2 estates possibly infected. It's all about containing clusters I to small areas.

It's annoying it's sh1te but it's the best way to contain and reduce risk

No back gardens where we are all apartments/flats ! Dont have that luxury
    Everyone was walking or playing around green areas

Your suggestion of the army is not one that would sit well in a democracy which I think Ireland is - just about at this stage .

My point is that people are now corralled into very small areas
    and that leads to bigger crowds . Open the parks up.

If you don't have a garden you stay inside bar one short walk per day within 2km of your home. Kids or no kids thats the way it is. It is unacceptable to have kids playing in green areas, families sitting around sunbathing etc. It is also against the rules of the lock down and the guards would move people on if they come across it.

Maybe you don't understand the seriousness of the situation, it drives me insane seeing people do as they please while many of us are doing our best to keep the rules for the safety of ourselves and our families, particular elderly. I would be be very happy to see the army force these idiots back into their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

If you don't have a garden you stay inside bar one short walk per day within 2km of your home. Kids or no kids thats the way it is. It is unacceptable to have kids playing in green areas, families sitting around sunbathing etc. It is also against the rules of the lock down and the guards would move people on if they come across it.

Maybe you don't understand the seriousness of the situation, it drives me insane seeing people do as they please while many of us are doing our best to keep the rules for the safety of ourselves and our families, particular elderly. I would be be very happy to see the army force these idiots back into their homes.

Maybe you dont understand in your beloved police state complete with martial law its the police that end up spreading the virus.

Moving people on and issuing fines? What a load of complete nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No they don't.

People need to stay alive.

Going out for short, focused exercise, in which you are moving fast and so won't be near another person for more than a few seconds is one thing.

Going out for recreation milling around and having the chat is quite another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭eleventh

sasal wrote: »
    Odd quote to use in a traditionally neutral country.
    Not neutral really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

... a brief walk once per day if its within 2km of your house...
    ... one short walk per day within 2km of your home...

Since when are we limited to 1 walk per day? We're not in the UK...

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Since when are we limited to 1 walk per day? We're not in the UK...

"Brief exercise" to me means one walk per day, and even if you take two walks it certainly does not mean sunbathing in a common green or kids spending hours playing on a common green etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

IF you cant comment the point don't make personal attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

M three wrote: »
    Cop yourself on.

What? Have a read of this.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/act/1/enacted/en/print.html

The Guards would be perfectly within their rights to protect the rest of the population by fining or arresting those stupid enough to ignore the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Talk of mass enforcement and bringing in the army? Are people suggesting this for real? I for one do not want to live in a police state. Thankfully this is not 1950’s East Germany.

If you are so unhappy with a few people out in the sun, walking the prom getting some fresh air, then maybe just stay indoors and spend less time worrying about what others do?

There was one person charged today with violating the restrictions. One! I would assume he gave the Gardai very serious cause for taking action. Reading the report, you would guess he did - driving with no licence and insurance!

Thankfully the Gardai are applying a great degree of common sense to all this. Something that isn’t all that common on here imo.

There putting a lot of railings along the prom, looks like they are doing to make a decent job of it, still a load of cars around further down though, good garda presence around talking/chatting to people

• Advertisement

Dedicated cycle lane to be implemented along the prom. Will remove all of the parking along it. That should go a long way towards solving the issues there at the moment

https://galwaydaily.com/news/dedicated-cycle-lane-being-created-at-salthill-prom/

Advertisement