Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasted opportunity to build bigger houses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Its a great location, no denying it. We walk past it many days.

But.... at €775,000 I think they might find it hard to shift these :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That is a very ordinary house for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Absolutely, and while its great being near the park, you are actually a bit of a walk to Castleknock village (~20 - 25 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

These prices, they already look like a thing of the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what really bugs me about this and other developments, why don't they ajoin the hallway in semi-d's , why ajoin the bedrooms and living room, soundproofing is always crap so at least a buffer from noise would mitigate the worst parts of living in a semi d.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

what really bugs me about this and other developments, why don't they ajoin the hallway in semi-d's , why ajoin the bedrooms and living room, soundproofing is always crap so at least a buffer from noise would mitigate the worst parts of living in a semi d.

Traditionally it would have been easier to build the chimney brests back to back and have both flues share the same chimney structure when they come out through the roof. That has changed now with modern chimney systems being much more streamlined than an old chimney stack and you don't even need bricks above the roof, you can just continue the flue. I guess it is just to keep the traditional chimney look.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I'm the opposite. Never had a problem with hearing next door and prefer when the entrances are not right beside each other. More privacy.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Traditionally it would have been easier to build the chimney brests back to back and have both flues share the same chimney structure when they come out through the roof. That has changed now with modern chimney systems being much more streamlined than an old chimney stack and you don't even need bricks above the roof, you can just continue the flue. I guess it is just to keep the traditional chimney look.

Maybe adjoining the hallways means having the front doors too close to each other, that might be another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah that area is very expensive. I think the proximity to the Park is the selling factor there.

Besides, if you're earning enough to afford it, you're not going to be slumming it with the plebs on the train. Own car and bus lane all the way baby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

kevinc565 wrote: »

it looks like they originally tried to build duplexes and the developer decided to shaft the agent by only selling half the property numbers, awful houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

The previous owner of that house needs a serous lesson in how to measure the height of curtains.

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah that area is very expensive. I think the proximity to the Park is the selling factor there.

Besides, if you're earning enough to afford it, you're not going to be slumming it with the plebs on the train. Own car and bus lane all the way baby.

bus lanes only go so far. and finding parking in dublin is a nightmare

Bio Mech wrote: »
    The previous owner of that house needs a serous lesson in how to measure the height of curtains.

:D:D:D

This house is already gone sale agreed but still on internet , clogging up searches and wasting time for property searchers. I know some searchers allow inclusion/exclusion of sale agreed but it is up to the agents to enter that status in myhome.ie.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/10-taney-green-taney-road-dundrum-dublin-14/4412167

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

This is a real bugbear of mine. We spent months searching for recently and the number of houses listed as For Sale that were in fact sale agreed is shocking. Such a waste of time having to call each one up to be only told its sale agreed weeks/months ago. EA must leave them up until the mortgage has been fully drawndown.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I bought with my girlfriend just before just christmas. The property remained on both daft and myhome (the latter for a few weeks) after the purchase was complete, never mind sale agreed.

Pain in the hole but very common unfortunately.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Until the contracts are signed, both parties can easily pull out, why would the vendor take it down until the contracts are signed? Particularly in the current climate where a lot of buyers may be considering putting purchasing on hold.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Until the contracts are signed, both parties can easily pull out, why would the vendor take it down until the contracts are signed? Particularly in the current climate where a lot of buyers may be considering putting purchasing on hold.

Take your're point but i think there should be more regulation in this area.

A simple mandatory flag stating if the property is currently sale address or not should be added to the description. It could easily be removed in the event that the sale agreed falls through. I think some websites used to do this (as I remember a show sale agreed flag) but I think the agents stopped filling it it due to the reasons you've mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dav010 wrote: »

In my experience, if you insist that you will only give a deposit and instruct a solicitor once they agree to remove it from the internet, action is quickly taken. At least for serious sellers.

• Advertisement

Good to know. Thanks.

another thing i hate is when a property goes off the market and then reappears a few months later.

Looks like one of these cases unless it something identical on the same road.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/20-coundon-court-killiney-co-dublin-a96y227/4314875/

is there a website that tracks this?

another thing i hate is when a property goes off the market and then reappears a few months later.

Looks like one of these cases unless it something identical on the same road.
    https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/20-coundon-court-killiney-co-dublin-a96y227/4314875/

is there a website that tracks this?

But why did it go off? & why is it back on?
    Maybe a sale fell through?

The last house I bought was on the market, then taken off when they went sale agreed. When I saw it back in a few months later, I bought it.
    It's not the vendors fault....

bubblypop wrote: »
    But why did it go off? & why is it back on?
    Maybe a sale fell through?

The last house I bought was on the market, then taken off when they went sale agreed. When I saw it back in a few months later, I bought it.
    It's not the vendors fault....

my guess is is didn;t sell for months and that look bad, so they took it off with a few months and relaunched. Sometimes the vendor does this with a different estate agent.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/51-rocwood-off-leopardstown-road-blackrock-co-dublin-a94-v302/3851170

and of course you're right, sometimes sales fall through.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

my guess is is didn;t sell for months and that look bad, so they took it off with a few months and relaunched. Sometimes the vendor does this with a different estate agent.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/51-rocwood-off-leopardstown-road-blackrock-co-dublin-a94-v302/3851170

and of course you're right, sometimes sales fall through.

That house is nowhere near Blackrock!

another pet hate of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Id be concerned about what appears to be hole in the wall vents near the ceiling. Youd think for that money that they have mechanical ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

Ush1 wrote: »
    That house is nowhere near Blackrock!

Just go to https://finder.eircode.ie/ and enter the eircode... it says Blackrock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Noisy sex neighbours? :)

Jesus Christ, what a dump, wouldn't live in it for free.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Stark wrote: »

it looks like they originally tried to build duplexes and the developer decided to shaft the agent by only selling half the property numbers, awful houses.

You don't understand the location.

They are expensive because they are close to Castleknock Village. Thus the builder is tried to make them seem more upmarket than they are. You're paying for the location. Not the bang for buck.

Location isn't always about practicality. But that said, its not too bad for practicality.

Its a 20 min walk to the train station or 5 mins in the car or bicycle. Its a 35 min cycle to O'Connell bridge and more than half of that off road in the Phoenix park. You're also ahead of all the traffic trying to get into City Center. Though the new badly designed junction for Lidl in the village has managed to make a bad bottle neck much worse as predicted.

Like all houses 500+ the market for these is a lot smaller. Thus they are slower to sell and effected more by price drops and rises.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but it is what it is.

Advertisement