Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing from runflat to standard tyres

• 22-03-2020 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an E90 coupe, and I need to get a new set of tyres for my car.

The wheels are 19-inch and were originally fitted with run-flat tyres. I find the ride quite harsh, so I’m thinking of changing to standard, non-runflat tyres.

Has anyone else done this and, if so, would you recommend?

Also, the car doesn’t have a spare wheel, so thinking of just carrying a can of Holts Tyre Weld for emergencies. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using this type of tyre sealant? Is the Holts stuff messy to use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭Bunkernumber1

Hi,

The wheels are 19-inch and were originally fitted with run-flat tyres. I find the ride quite harsh, so I’m thinking of changing to standard, non-runflat tyres.

Also, the car doesn’t have a spare wheel, so thinking of just carrying a can of Holts Tyre Weld for emergencies. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using this type of tyre sealant? Is the Holts stuff messy to use?

Thanks.

Did it on my 1 series coupe and was grand alot more comfortable. Carried the usual air compressor and sealant.i also will do it when my 5 series needs tyres
    1 because of the price
    2 because it's a nicer drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I got a spare from what would of being off an e60 I believe for mine. 135/65/17 (I think) space saver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

Hi,

Thanks.

Dumped the run flats on my E60 a few years back and would not go back.

Carry a compressor and sealant in the boot but as I'm mostly city driving will never be more than a few km for the nearest garage in an 'emergency'.

IIRC run flats were devised for scenarios where a car got a flat tyre on a motorway but could keep driving to the nearest exit etc. The are re-enforced sidewalls so comfort is compromised, or at least was. Guessing latest cars have compensated somewhat for the stiffness of the tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

WacoKid wrote: »
    Guessing latest cars have compensated somewhat for the stiffness of the tyre.

Nope, SIL has them on a G30( 17s I think, bog spec) and the ride is not uncomfortable but bordering on it. Brother would love to put standards on it but she won't let him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

Hi,

Thanks.

get yourself a plug repair kit if you can, better than using tyre sealant IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Nope, SIL has them on a G30( 17s I think, bog spec) and the ride is not uncomfortable but bordering on it. Brother would love to put standards on it but she won't let him.

If that G30 is on the standard 17 inch wheels, then it doesn't have run-flats anyway, they did a u-turn compared to the E60 and F10 and no longer fit them as standard. M Sports on 18 inch wheels also don't have run-flats.

The bigger wheels for SE and M Sport still come with them as standard, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Kramer

G30 ............M Sport...............bigger wheels........... still come with them as standard, though.

I've a G30 on 19s with runflats & the ride is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

tphase wrote: »
    get yourself a plug repair kit if you can, better than using tyre sealant IMHO

Plug repair is great if can find the puncture, but that will be near impossible on the hard shoulder without washing up fluid and a compressor.

Tyre sealant can get at least get you home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

Plug repair is great if can find the puncture, but that will be near impossible on the hard shoulder without washing up fluid and a compressor.

Tyre sealant can get at least get you home.

of course, a plug repair requires a compressor - I think eveyone should have one in the boot, they're not that expensive

Not all punctures are hard to find (eg screws or nails), happen in awkward places or are bad enough that they need immediate repair or the spare put on.

Screenwash and water can make bubbles if needed but if the puncture is that hard to find you can probably pump it up enough to get home or at least to a safe place.

For me, tyre sealant is the last resort when I have no other options and it will only get you out of trouble if it actually seals the leak

tphase wrote: »
    For me, tyre sealant is the last resort when I have no other options and it will only get you out of trouble if it actually seals the leak

A con of tyre sealant:

Cons of Tire Puncture Sealant

Improperly applied, tire puncture sealant can ruin your tire. If the tire with the sealant does not move and warm up quickly, the sealant will pool in a lump at the lowest point of the tire, causing the wheel to be off balance. This can lead to an accident and possible injuries. Many service centers will not repair a tire treated with a spray sealant, meaning you will have to replace the tire anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

WacoKid wrote: »
    This can lead to an accident and possible injuries. Many service centers will not repair a tire treated with a spray sealant, meaning you will have to replace the tire anyway.

Where did you hear that? Link?

If the sealant is water soluble (and the most popular ones are) is just washes out. Also TPMS safe. I asked my local tyre centre and they have no issue working on cars with sealant repairs.

If the sealant is water soluble (and the most popular ones are) is just washes out. Also TPMS safe. I asked my local tyre centre and they have no issue working on cars with sealant repairs.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/tire-puncture-sealant-pros--cons

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭marcos_94

Hi,

Thanks.

I got rid of the runflats on my old e92 320d and got a spare wheel from a 5 series and strapped it against the back of the rear seats in the boot. I changed to a 325i and now the 16" spare wont fit over the brakes so running spareless now with a pump, sealant, and plug kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I got a puncture recently and asked the tyre place about the foam, they won't repair any tyre that had foam and they are an authorised distributor. Didn't matter as I knew the tyre was fecked anyway as the damage was on the sidewall. Got stupid and clipped a kerb again and tryed the foam as I knew the tyre was gone anyway and it wouldn't fix the puncture. A spare wheel or run flat should be mandatory, foam isn't a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JorgeL

I had to replace on elf my run flats recently, costing me a hefty €380. Made me really think and now reading about the harshness of the drive and the potential cracks, even more so.

What's the consensus now on run flats?

And roughly how much are we looking to get a good non run flat? I have a BMW 530e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭wandererz

Have non-runflats on an E90 320D. Had to change because the runflats were cracking my wheels. Went with Pirelli PZero

Have non-runflats on the Z4 as well - Goodyear Asymmetric 5.

No problems. Good smooth ride.

I normally order from Tyreleader.ie and get them delivered to one of the closer tyre places to me with charge about €15 or €20 per tyre to balance and fit.

I can choose from a good selection and it usually works out cheaper than locally.

Lidl have a cheap compressor (€15) and cans of tyre sealant available this week. It would be worthwhile to pick them up.

I use a compressor every so often because I use one car in summer and other in winter. If they are just sitting for a while they can lose pressure. Have cans of sealant as well.

Have only had one slow puncture in 25 years, which I took to a tyre shop and they fixed for €10.

I did get a spare wheel for the 3 series, but that's sitting at home. Takes up too much space.

Wife did have a blowout a few years ago on the M50. But even though there was a spare in the car, I wasn't going to change it at the side of the M50. Called a mobile tyre company instead.

Anyway, your 530e will have TPMS on each wheel, so if it's a puncture you will get a warning. Then inflate it or decide if you want to use the sealant or both.

If you buy tyres from Tyreleader you have the option to add in a 1 year warranty for a small charge. So if you have a puncture, get it temporarily repaired and then get them to ship you a new tyre.

These are two front tyres I bought for the wife's car in July.

I do like Vredestein. They are good wet weather tyres and I used them before. You typically wouldn't find them here either. The tyre stores will only give you about 3 or 4 options if lucky and that's that.

These two 17" cost me €216 with fitting and balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JorgeL

Thanks for all the info.

The other problem with the 530e is that all are runflats and no room for a spare, so if I was to go with non- runflats id only have the 4 non-run flats.

If I could get around that id switch.

I've heard about the cracking as well which doesn't sound too good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement