Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall/Drought Watch 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yeah very little rain so far this month.
    Hopefully it all starts changing from today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yeah very little rain so far this month.
    Hopefully it all starts changing from today.

just shy of 40mm for june here in Arklow now in june
    Another 7.6mm overnight
    Everything quite green now in these parts!

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1271683477222707201?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Danno wrote: »
    Seriously, what is all this talk about rain??? 3.2mm this month on top of a very dry May (not record-breaking either, we got 15.4mm - a little under twice the 7.8mm recorded in May '19). Our grass is almost pure orange around these parts of South Laois.

(Saving a whack on not having to purchase Petrol to cut the lawns!)

Friends 5 km either side of me saw the rain over my place but got none of it. Had a storm with 25mm in an hour. They didn't get it.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    just shy of 40mm for june here in Arklow now in june
    Another 7.6mm overnight
    Everything quite green now in these parts!

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1271683477222707201?s=19

Just 8.8mm for the month here in north east Kilkenny and the weather station in the city is also showing similar.
    Everything still burnt looking.
    So would welcome a lot of rain:) you have been lucky.

Just 8.8mm for the month here in north east Kilkenny and the weather station in the city is also showing similar.

Irish sea to thank mostly
    If it was the depth of winter,we'd be buried in snow
    A preponderance of northeaserlies here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

5.0mm since midnight in Dublin 16. 23.0mm for the month so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Danno wrote: »
    Indeed, it's all about location, location location!

I remember Summer'16 and lads 40 miles west of here talking about relentless rains there and we were parched. It's amazing how Ireland has so many micro-climates.

Just looked there and in fact Cork Airport had 69mm in May and 6mm up to Thursday, but plenty rain in the last 48 hours not recorded in that and more to come. Crazy differences alright. All the more reason not to have national hosepipe bans etc. Always feel with hosepipe bans that if they have to announce one for Dublin that in order to get buy in they make it a national ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

3mm since midnight
    North Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Just 5.3mm so far in NE Galway, yet grass is still looking green, if a little dull looking. I reckon the lack of any real prolonged sun recently is preventing the grass from turning yellow/red. Either that or there is still moisture in the ground from those excessive rains late last winter.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just 5.3mm so far in NE Galway, yet grass is still looking green, if a little dull looking. I reckon the lack of any real prolonged sun recently is preventing the grass from turning yellow/red. Either that or there is still moisture in the ground from those excessive rains late last winter.

I know we had 3 fairly dry months in a row but the talk of drought is probably overblown a bit. We had 8 months of deluges before the dry spell started. The land here was saturated till at least mid April before things started to dry out and by May the grass was starting to turn slightly yellow. Grass is back as green as ever here now with all the cold, cloud and frequent bursts of rain since Tuesday/Wednesday. The soil moisture deficient is still on the low side but the gardens now look back to normal.

IF we hadn't all those downpours from August 2019 to February 2020, this dry spell could have had a far more serious drought without 8 months of deluges to soften the blow from lack of rain during Spring.

13.1mm of rain now for Dunsany up to the 12th of June. The mean is 71.5mm so still a bit to go for the deficit to recover. We've had several mm of rain yesterday so I expect that total to rise a bit by tomorrow.

Not sure Meath or Dublin will see much in the way of rain between now and next weekend, from here on the midlands, west and south will take the brunt of the showers and rainfall over the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The grass in the fields is thin around here compared to other years. So it's probably means less of a crop for the farmers. It looks like the land will get a good soaking between Sunday and Tuesday now.

Latest model total rainfall forecast out to Tuesday midnight does show that the focus of the showers will primarily be over the western third of the country tomorrow and Monday, and over the eastern half Tuesday and Wednesday:

anxm11p.gif

but it seems increasingly like some us in the likes of NE Galway/ Roscommon and that sort of area could be waiting another another while yet for a decent drop. Given the nature of showers though they can and probably will pop up randomly in any region over the next few days, but I get the feeling that I'll have to continue watering my little plants for another while yet, which is a small concern compared to those of farmers in the region who really do need the rain at this stage.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Gonzo wrote: »
    I know we had 3 fairly dry months in a row but the talk of drought is probably overblown a bit. We had 8 months of deluges before the dry spell started. The land here was saturated till at least mid April before things started to dry out and by May the grass was starting to turn slightly yellow. Grass is back as green as ever here now with all the cold, cloud and frequent bursts of rain since Tuesday/Wednesday. The soil moisture deficient is still on the low side but the gardens now look back to normal.

IF we hadn't all those downpours from August 2019 to February 2020, this dry spell could have had a far more serious drought without 8 months of deluges to soften the blow from lack of rain during Spring.

13.1mm of rain now for Dunsany up to the 12th of June. The mean is 71.5mm so still a bit to go for the deficit to recover. We've had several mm of rain yesterday so I expect that total to rise a bit by tomorrow.

Not sure Meath or Dublin will see much in the way of rain between now and next weekend, from here on the midlands, west and south will take the brunt of the showers and rainfall over the next few days.

Certainly not overblown from a farming point of view.
    It might seem so to those in coastal areas
    Its been the driest spring on record followed by a first half of June with 30% of normal rainfall.

Rain from last August (or even February) is no use except on very heavy clay or peat soils. Given our climate, most productive farming takes place on free draining soils. So it's a pretty big deal.

And despite all the talk of forecast rain - it's still coming from an easterly and so basically Fantasy Island for the most drought affected areas (from South East Mayo to Kilkenny)

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Certainly not overblown from a farming point of view.
    It might seem so to those in coastal areas
    Its been the driest spring on record followed by a first half of June with 30% of normal rainfall.

Rain from last August (or even February) is no use except on very heavy clay or peat soils. Given our climate, most productive farming takes place on free draining soils. So it's a pretty big deal.

And despite all the talk of forecast rain - it's still coming from an easterly and so basically Fantasy Island for the most drought affected areas (from South East Mayo to Kilkenny)

If you take Oneirics map at face value, the most drought affected area (circled red) is still forecast for lower than normal rainfall over the next week - so SMD will continue to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

If you take Oneirics map at face value, the most drought affected area (circled red) is still forecast for lower than normal rainfall over the next week - so SMD will continue to increase.

Very very little rain in the midlands field are red. We need a lot rain. Is there much forecast and any sign of a decent breakdown coming. Only difference this week and last it lot more cloudy

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Very very little rain in the midlands field are red. We need a lot rain. Is there much forecast and any sign of a decent breakdown coming. Only difference this week and last it lot more cloudy

Slightly more for you than last week over the next few days.
    But because there will be thundery showers you might get nothing while 10km up the road gets an inch from a downpour.
    Signs are for more general rain towards next weekend, but as always that's too far away to be sure of.

Slightly more for you than last week over the next few days.
    But because there will be thundery showers you might get nothing while 10km up the road gets an inch from a downpour.
    Signs are for more general rain towards next weekend, but as always that's too far away to be sure of.

Yeah the thunderstorms formed near where I live but only got 0.4mm and the total for the day at 1.8mm.

It is like the settled spell doesn't want to end as what we are getting is not really a break in the dry spell.
    Some have gotten rain but a lot of places so far very little.

Yeah these thundery showers coming from the east can be hit and miss. So it is possible some places in the west and south could escape altogether over the next couple of days, but i think a lot of places will see some heavy showers, but it probably won't be enough to satisfy farmers.

The Atlantic has to break through at some stage, but if the long range forecasts are to be believed it won't be for too long.

A slight more hope on the last model run that these showers might affect more areas over the next few days, but as always, the nature of showers and all of that..

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This feels like a hiatus in the drought more than a break. Savage rain here for an hour, little left the fields, they are dry as sponges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A slight more hope on the last model run that these showers might affect more areas over the next few days, but as always, the nature of showers and all of that..

this evenings ECM is certainly wetter with no ridge second half of next week and heavy showers continuing throughout the week. Most of the other models still going for the ridge from Wednesday evening to Saturday afternoon so will have to see where the ECM goes with this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Still 12mm of rain in Sligo for June

Grass very yellow in places now and even Lough Gill has dry patches at shoreline that should be underwater as does Garavogue

Thought I was about to get a direct hit from the thunderstorm that is nearby for some good rain, might get a little as I am just on the edge of it.
    Luck has to change soon...

Raining again here now
    Thank you Irish sea for your service but please think of others now
    June total has now hit 40mm

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1272103831493644288?s=19

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Raining again here now
    Thank you Irish sea for your service but please think of others now
    June total has now hit 40mm

https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1272103831493644288?s=19

If this keeps up for a few more weeks Mortelaro, you'll get to feel like a West Clare farmer :D

Yet again we seem to be in a dry slot that has escaped the thunderstorms so far.
    There actually has been little rain over the past eight days. The breakdown has not happened here yet.

This is my rainfall for my location north of Kilkenny city.
    Dep.   Max        Days of Rain
                  From   Obs.           >=
     YR MO Total  Norm   Day Date  0.2  2.0 20.0
    ---------------------------------------------
     20  1  55.2   0.0   9.6  13    24    8    0
     20  2 133.8   0.0  18.4   9    27   18    0
     20  3  40.8   0.0  10.6   9    17    7    0
     20  4  32.0   0.0  15.0   5    14    3    0
     20  5  26.0   0.0  15.2   9     8    3    0
     20  6   9.2   0.0   2.8  10     8    1    0
     20  7
     20  8
     20  9
     20 10
     20 11
     20 12
           297.0   0.0  18.4  Feb   98   40    0

0.6mm today and mostly blue skies...

108mm in the last 106 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Dingle peninsula soaking with thunder and some places lightning all day. Still raining fairly heavily right now, but it's fitful. Filling the water butt just fine...

This is my rainfall for my location north of Kilkenny city.
    Dep.   Max        Days of Rain
                  From   Obs.           >=
     YR MO Total  Norm   Day Date  0.2  2.0 20.0
     20  1  55.2   0.0   9.6  13    24    8    0
     20  2 133.8   0.0  18.4   9    27   18    0
     20  3  40.8   0.0  10.6   9    17    7    0
     20  4  32.0   0.0  15.0   5    14    3    0
     20  5  26.0   0.0  15.2   9     8    3    0
     20  6   9.2   0.0   2.8  10     8    1    0
     20  7
     20  8
     20  9
     20 10
     20 11
     20 12
           297.0   0.0  18.4  Feb   98   40    0

0.6mm today and mostly blue skies...

108mm in the last 106 days.

That last stat is grim. I know it proably sounds daft to those who are looking out at soaked ground, but we need the Atlantic back to ensure everyone who really needs rain gets it.

• Advertisement

If this keeps up for a few more weeks Mortelaro, you'll get to feel like a West Clare farmer :D

Ha!
    An extra 4.3mm today
    Total now 43.9mm for june
    Got absolutely soaked working out in it today thanks to a tear in the wet gear

Advertisement