Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot of “fluff” jobs will take a hit after this

Options

Comments

I was under impression,to work in HR,you have to register with a regulatory body

https://www.cipd.ie/about

I know of at least 1 college,which requires people to register with them,to get their degree

You don't have to join CIPD to work in HR. It can be joined, if you take their exams or have a HR degree etc. and you can use their initials after your name.

At the risk of triggering the OP I got a HR degree a few years back. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

danny004 wrote: »
    Ah the old junior accountants curse ,well known and laughed at down through the years. They can see what everyone else earns but can never quite get there.

We’re actually well paid.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    You're not generating revenue or creating products for your clients, Ticker. You're potentially on the chopping block along with the HR and Admin teams who aren't generating revenue, whatever your qualifications. We'll just find someone less experienced for cheaper. Hardly difficult to balance a few spreadsheets and claim some expenses, is it?

Death and taxes are two guarantees in life. Double entry accounting had been around for hundreds of years but yet balancing trial balances is something the vast majority of are people are unable to do it despite. We see it regularly where client comes in and says “I’ve done everything myself and all you need to do is sign off” at which stage we ask them
    Is your bank account actually €200k overdrawn
    Why do your customers have debit balances and does revenue really owe you €100k in PAYE? Then we get the litany of excuses about how they hired someone to do the books every second Wednesday and how they transferred this journal to this account because that seemed to make sense and the. we tell them that the whole thing needs to be done from scratch and will cost double the price.

Accounting web is literally full of people trying to “balance the books”

I was under impression,to work in HR,you have to register with a regulatory body

https://www.cipd.ie/about

I know of at least 1 college,which requires people to register with them,to get their degree

What legal statute regulates that profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Not sure why there’s a row going on between industry and practice accountants. The real enemies are so called bookkeepers who have a vague idea how to work excel and some other accounting software but no actual knowledge of debits and credits or any sort of reconciliation. OTOH much work for accountants in cleaning up their mistakes, so long may it last.

• Advertisement

Not sure why there’s a row going on between industry and practice accountants. The real enemies are so called bookkeepers who have a vague idea how to work excel and some other accounting software but no actual knowledge of debits and credits or any sort of reconciliation. OTOH much work for accountants in cleaning up their mistakes, so long may it last.

Thank you. I posted about this previously on the accountant thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I work in a accountancy practice in the midlands. Last November when we were preparing for income tax deadline as clients were sending in their info, we have a large number of clients who are considered HIgh Income Earners who for different reasons are required to submit tax return e.g. they received shares in the company when it was bought out and get dividends etc etc.

A recurring comment coming up around the office when the payslips and P60’s were coming in were the high salaries people were on for “fluff” jobs as someone called it. These are not architects, solicitors or accountants but people working in large organisations, pharma and multi nationals in roles like HR and staffing or general marketing jobs on €80k per annum. You would be surprised how handy many admin type roles are pulling in upwards of €70k per year I’m not even joking.

I think after Corina virus fiasco is over many of those jobs will take a hit.

I'm in an "admin type role" and currently a member of my organisation's key team in issuing communications, support and crisis management in the wake of this crisis. I was in work today.

Whinging about your clients and their incomes shows you to be ndiscreet and totally unprofessional.

No added value, need to be micro managed, poor integrity with respect to clients sensitive information and should be shown the door.

You might take the first hit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Seems in some places they held onto the fluff staff such as the marketing, multimedia, digital, accounts, retail management and let go of the maintenance, gardener's and cleaners but held onto retail, clerical, event organisers, marketing, management and multimedia.

I couldn't see any of those cleaning toilets, surfaces, hovering, weeding, pruning cutting grass , or changing light bulbs, fixings in buildings or cleaning grease traps.
    Raking leaves and preparing flower beds.

Zero events, nothing to market for, no multi media posts since they closed shop.

A few places really know their priorities, cut the least paid staff out and look after the fluffy jobs.

Send the manual outdoors workers a letter laying them off temporarily until things get better, make them think that a caption of we're all in this together makes them feel special and needed.

A cousin of mine and his work colleagues were laid off by a well known tourism company managing a lot of sites, who need skeleton staff to keep the place ticking over.
    Some of these maintenance and grounds staff were in the company 20 and 30 years but they held onto the new team and shafted to legacy staff ie the people who were there the longest.

Eaten bread is soon forgotten.

anewme wrote: »
    I'm in an "admin type role" and currently a member of my organisation's key team in issuing communications, support and crisis management in the wake of this crisis. I was in work today.

Whinging about your clients and their incomes shows you to be ndiscreet and totally unprofessional.

No added value or initiative, need to be micro managed, poor integrity with respect to clients sensitive information and should be shown the door.

The fact you've even created this thread verifies that.

At least their car is probably paid for...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

.... the high salaries people were on for “fluff” jobs as someone called it.

....in roles like HR and staffing or general marketing jobs on €80k per annum. You would be surprised how handy many admin type roles are pulling in upwards of €70k per year I’m not even joking.

I think after Corina virus fiasco is over many of those jobs will take a hit....

I think you're wrong. Those people (fluff not admin) always seem to charm their way into decent jobs. I don't understand how either. But they do. I assume they are amazing at self promotion.

• Advertisement

nthclare wrote: »
    At least their car is probably paid for...

Not sure what you mean by this ?

Please elaborate.

beauf wrote: »
    I think you're wrong. Those people always seem to charm their way into decent jobs. I don't understand how either. But they do. I assume they are amazing at self promotion.

They're either narcissists, brown nosing or talk the talk.

Ive seen some right numpties on the job, who never make decisions but rely on the people on the ground to help them out.

Have group sessions, and someone taking notes of the layman's ideas.
    Then say the layman's ideas are not feasible.

Then ironically a member of management who was at the meeting and nodded in agreement with the CEO that the layman's idea was not feasible and ridiculous.

Then a year down the road the CEO gets one of the managing team to implement the layman's idea and take full credit for it.

You're dealing with the scum of the earth here.

I think you're wrong. Those people (fluff not admin) always seem to charm their way into decent jobs. I don't understand how either. But they do. I assume they are amazing at self promotion.

These type of roles have grown exponentially in the last 8 years especially within multinational, pharma companies and very large organisations. They approach things from a high level point of view so rather than waste time and money in a growing economy they offer a higher salary than their competitors and the competition does likewise. It’s the opportunity cost of waiting months or losing a candidate over a €5k salary increase so they bump the offer by €10k. If there is an economic adjustment I think a lot of these type of fluffy jobs will take a hit.

No added value or initiative, need to be micro managed, poor integrity with respect to clients sensitive information and should be shown the door.

The fact you've even created this thread verifies that.

Why sensitive information would that be?

It’s these type of comments and your total lack of business acumen which proves my point.

What type of salary are you on?

Not sure what you mean by this ?

You're telling another boards member in a roundabout way that they'll take a hit and I'd say you'd relish in their misfortune.

But at the end of the day they could manage if they got a hit, and probably haven't as much to loose as your good self.

Its an old saying, when someone back in the 80s or 90s told someone they're driving a better car than someone else or told them to get their rust heap out of their way, then the person who was driving a run of a mill car responded by saying that "at least my car is paid for"

In other words the bank owns your car, more than likely all you have in your fridge is the light that comes on when you open the door...

A bit like fur coat and no knickers, there's going to be a lot of fur coat no knickers after all this.

You're telling another boards member in a roundabout way that they'll take a hit and I'd say you'd relish in their misfortune.

But at the end of the day they could manage if they got a hit, and probably haven't as much to loose as your good self.

Its an old saying, when someone back in the 80s or 90s told someone they're driving a better car than someone else or told them to get their rust heap out of their way, then the person who was driving a run of a mill car responded by saying that "at least my car is paid for"

In other words the bank owns your car, more than likely all you have in your fridge is the light that comes on when you open the door...

A bit like fur coat and no knickers, there's going to be a lot of fur coat no knickers after all this.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the right thread.

Op is bitching about what others earn ( none of his business) instead of respecting client confidentiality that us granted to him through trust. Instead of adding value to his business, he's using information he has gained through his profession to whinge about others and why they earn more than him. Totally unprofessional. This is not a person adding value to an organisation and should not be allowed handle personal data.

The car comment is outdated rubbish and begrudgery, assuming everyone driving a new car has a bank loan.

It’s these type of comments and your total lack of business acumen which proves my point

Again, a basic lack of respect in not recognising that information given to Accountants is not for general consumption or discussion.

As regards the salary question : general cop on applies.

The lack of it shown by OP, shows he is not fit to handle peoples personal data.

... were on for “fluff” jobs as someone called it. These are not architects, solicitors or accountants but people working in large organisations, pharma and multi nationals in roles like HR and staffing or general marketing jobs on €80k per annum. You would be surprised how handy many admin type roles are pulling in upwards of €70k per year I’m not even joking.

There is a difference between fluff and someone really good at HR, admin etc. Some are vital.

I agree about the fluff stuff. But the treaty of the generalisation is wrong as you only know the cost not the value that someone brings to their role.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,899 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s these type of comments and your total lack of business acumen which proves my point.

From reading your opening post, it demonstrates a considerable lack of business acumen on your own part that you imagine roles in Human Resources, Marketing and Administration which you regard as “fluff” jobs, in particular are going to take a hit as a consequence of the current economic circumstances.

All sectors will be likely to take a hit, none more particularly than any other, and that includes roles in accounting. There are a number of industries and employment sectors undergoing massive change as a result of the growing popularity of Enterprise Resource Planning, and the demand for more people in Human Resources, Marketing and Administration, or “fluff jobs” as you call them, is a lot greater than the demand for accountants whose roles are being phased out in favour of companies automating their financial transactions.

Again, a basic lack of respect in not recognising that information given to Accountants is not for general consumption or discussion in a forum such as this.

The lack of it shown by OP, shows he is not fit to handle peoples personal data.

No more information here that you can't get from salary surveys or a look at the jobs being advertised lots of other sources.

• Advertisement

Again, a basic lack of respect in not recognising that information given to Accountants is not for general consumption or discussion in a forum such as this.

What are you flapping about. There is no personal data being shared here or specific people being named. It’s simply a statement of fact that there re people earning €80,90, 100k per annum. The general public already knows this.

That’s like saying doctors shouldn’t talk about obesity because it reveals personal data of their fat patients. Did you say admin?

Op is bitching about what others earn ( none of his business) . ..

Half of boards is people complaining about what other people earn. Politicians, public servants, influencers etc.. Take your pick.

From reading your opening post, it demonstrates a considerable lack of business acumen on your own part that you imagine roles in Human Resources, Marketing and Administration which you regard as “fluff” jobs, in particular are going to take a hit as a consequence of the current economic circumstances.

All sectors will be likely to take a hit, none more particularly than any other, and that includes roles in accounting. There are a number of industries and employment sectors undergoing massive change as a result of the growing popularity of Enterprise Resource Planning, and the demand for more people in Human Resources, Marketing and Administration, or “fluff jobs” as you call them, is a lot greater than the demand for accountants whose roles are being phased out in favour of companies automating their financial transactions.

Utter nonsense. We’ve been hearing this about AI in the accountancy profession for years. I’ve already responded to this several times have a read. Just because you post a link to a Wikipedia page and rhyme off something you read in a start up of the year magazine doesn’t make you look smart.

The reality is that the vast majority of CEO’s of the top listed FTSE 100 companies are accountants. There are good reasons for that so take your Wikipedia definitions somewhere else please.

I'm not sure if I'm reading the right thread.

Op is bitching about what others earn ( none of his business) instead of respecting client confidentiality. Instead of adding value to his business, he's using information he has gained through his profession to whinge about others and why they earn more than him. This is not a person adding value to an organisation.

The car comment is rubbish, assuming everyone driving a new car has a bank loan.

You're probably brainwashed to think that its fair to be paying fluffjobs more than genuine workers.

I've seen good people like him point out the in discrepancy of accounts, people's wages and differences on payrolls.

Organisations take value from hard working people and give value to flyby night job titles.

Whistle blowing is starting to get more prolific and any company who takes advantage of people and pay them poor wages according to the market value of their position should be ashamed of themselves.

A work colleague of mine recently got a 40% payrise because an honest human resource employee seen that she was doing the same job for years and a well spoken attractive looking sh1t stirrer only in the door a year was on 30% more for the same role, in the same organisation.

According to your intuitive thinking the person in the hr role leaking the unfairness of the organisation taking value from a person is less important than the value of the organisation.

Organisation and fairness lost its way a long way back.

There was a time when human resources used to looking after the staff and not the company.

After the dust settles people who get back to their jobs are going to be lining up to join unions and society will be fairer.

A lot of people will be earning a lot less in fluff jobs.
    But still earning the same in regular jobs if not a bit more.

No more information here that you can't get from salary surveys or a look at the jobs being advertised lots of other sources.

That's not what OP is doing though.

The fact that OP is broadcasting the fact that he has obtained this information through completing tax returns from his clients is a poor reflection on the OP.

Total lack of discretion and respect.

Personal integrity is essential when working with client information. Anyone who goes blabbing on the internet with personal information they have gained through their employment is not someone youd trust.

You're probably brainwashed to think that its fair to be paying fluffjobs more than genuine workers.

I've seen good people like him point out the in discrepancy of accounts, people's wages and differences on payrolls.

Organisations take value from hard working people and give value to flyby night job titles.

Whistle blowing is starting to get more prolific and any company who takes advantage of people and pay them poor wages according to the market value of their position should be ashamed of themselves.

A work colleague of mine recently got a 40% payrise because an honest human resource employee seen that she was doing the same job for years and a well spoken attractive looking sh1t stirrer only in the door a year was on 30% more for the same role, in the same organisation.

According to your intuitive thinking the person in the hr role leaking the unfairness of the organisation taking value from a person is less important than the value of the organisation.

Organisation and fairness lost its way a long way back.

There was a time when human resources used to looking after the staff and not the company.

After the dust settles people who get back to their jobs are going to be lining up to join unions and society will be fairer.

A lot of people will be earning a lot less in fluff jobs.
    But still earning the same in regular jobs if not a bit more.

You've become very confused somewhere.

Op is not a whistleblower pointing out wrongdoing in a corporate world, but rather trusted to be a professional completing personal financial returns on an individual basis.

I'd be absolutely fuming if my Accountant was on here blabbing about admin people and marketing people and what they earn. Peoples earnings are individual and confidential. Op is not respecting client confidentiality.

Did you say admin?

Yes.

Personal information is information or an opinion, including information or an opinion forming part of a database, whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion

Exactly whose identity is apparent?

• Advertisement

You've become very confused somewhere.

Op is not a whistleblower pointing out wrongdoing in a corporate world, but rather trusted to be a professional completing personal financial returns on an individual basis.

I'd be absolutely fuming if my Accountant was on here blabbing about admin people and marketing people and what they earn. Peoples earnings are individual and confidential. Op is not respecting client confidentiality.

Ok I understand where you are coming from, but the OP hasn't outed any company or employees or clients here on boards.

But seriously anewme there's a lot of skullduggery going on out there.

You're probably a hard working honest person yourself and take pride and responsibility in your role and loyal to your organisation.

Ok my bad It's late and I probably reading things differently than you.

Im slightly dyslexic and read things kind of backwards sometimes...

Sorry if I offended you or came across as undermining.
    Ill own my lack of concentration and now I have read back and see where you are coming from.

Time for me to turn in and wish you a good night and stay safe out there.

Advertisement