Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot of “fluff” jobs will take a hit after this

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

beauf wrote: »

Guides are guides and employees are assessed on their added value, or lack thereof.

The majority of roles in every organisation are bespoke and paid accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,899 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Utter nonsense. We’ve been hearing this about AI in the accountancy profession for years. I’ve already responded to this several times have a read. Just because you post a link to a Wikipedia page and rhyme off something you read in a start up of the year magazine doesn’t make you look smart.

You haven’t responded to it at all though? That’s why I questioned your own business acumen that you appear to be unable to grasp the bigger picture from your practice in the midlands, an indication of your own insular and small-minded thinking that’s the very opposite of business acumen.

Enterprise Resource Planning, as the term suggests, is a great deal bigger than anything one might read in a business startup magazine and frankly given your opinions you’ve expressed so far in this thread, I’m not surprised you’re not familiar with it and are spouting ignorant claptrap at a rate of knots.

The reality is that the vast majority of CEO’s of the top listed FTSE 100 companies are accountants. There are good reasons for that so take your Wikipedia definitions somewhere else please.

You wouldn’t have a source for that claim, would you?

Because the sources I have suggest that only 18% of CEOs of the top listed FTSE 100 companies have a qualification in accounting, and 51% have a background in finance (that wouldn’t be unusual for positions in the C-suite), which is obviously not the same thing as your claim -

Fifth of FTSE 100 CEOs are accountants

One good reason for those figures is that simply being proficient in accounting doesn’t necessarily endow a person with the business acumen required to understand how to manage a successful business, as your posts have so clearly demonstrated on a number of levels, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

anewme wrote: »
    Guides are guides and employees are assessed on their added value, or lack thereof.

The majority of roles in every organisation are bespoke and paid accordingly.

Not in the public sector. So not every organisation. ;)

nthclare wrote: »
    Ok I understand where you are coming from, but the OP hasn't outed any company or employees or clients here on boards.

But seriously anewme there's a lot of skullduggery going on out there.

You're probably a hard working honest person yourself and take pride and responsibility in your role and loyal to your organisation.

Ok my bad It's late and I probably reading things differently than you.

Im slightly dyslexic and read things kind of backwards sometimes...

Sorry if I offended you or came across as undermining.
    Ill own my lack of concentration and now I have read back and see where you are coming from.

Time for me to turn in and wish you a good night and stay safe out there.

Fair enough. And no offence taken. It's a difference of opinion only.

In my opinion, the fact that OP has even stated his profession and used information gained through it is to start a discussion about peoples earnings is an abuse of personal information and poor reflection on himself only.

He has also deemed himself qualified to assess "fluff" jobs in accordance with his own narrow minded standards, ie a rural accountants office. This is not a barometer for industry.

Times will be tough in the future, no doubt and I hope we all come through it.

I'd rather concentrate on the positives I can bring to an organisation, rather than whinging about what others earn and I dont.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

That's not what OP is doing though.

The fact that OP is broadcasting the fact that he has obtained this information through completing tax returns from his clients is a poor reflection on the OP.

Total lack of discretion and respect.

Personal integrity is essential when working with client information. Anyone who goes blabbing on the internet with personal information they have gained through their employment is not someone youd trust.

Whose personal information are you referring to specifically? Are accountants not allowed talk about the work they do? Stop digging it’s a ridiculous argument you’re trying to make.

Whose personal information are you referring to specifically? Are accountants not allowed talk about the work they do? Stop digging it’s a ridiculous argument you’re trying to make.

Accountants should not discuss earnings of their clients in any way, shape or form with the general public such as you are doing.

It's a breach of trust.

What level of practice do you work for?

Have they no professional standards?

Accountants should not discuss earnings of their clients in any way, shape or form with the general public such as you are doing.

It's a breach of trust.

What level of practice do you work for?

Have they no professional standards?

Did you just make up that rule. Do you speak for the accounting profession?

I can only speak for me. Your professional standards are clearly different.

I worked in a practice with extremely high net worth clients. It was a given that you exercised complete discretion in respect of your clients, their occupations, earnings and their personal data.

Your lack of discretion and respect for your clients says a lot about you and your own standards.

People at the top of their game would never post what you've posted. Sorry.

I worked in a practice with extremely high net worth clients. ...

Ah more personal information....:D

• Advertisement

Integrity and confidentiality are two of the fundamental principles of the accounting profession, how can you not be aware of this? :confused:

Confidentiality

Members have an obligation to respect the confidentiality of information about client or employer’s affairs acquired in the course of professional work. The duty of confidentiality continues even after the end of the relationship between the member and the employer or client.

Accounting Technicians Ireland Code of Professional Ethics

No you are not allowed to speak about your clients, you need to keep peoples earnings confidential.

If this needs to be pointed out, you should not be trusted with client information.

...For example if they are high net worth...

...For example if they are high net worth...

More like this really...

These are not architects, solicitors or accountants but people working in large organisations, pharma and multi nationals in roles like HR and staffing or general marketing jobs on €80k per annum. You would be surprised how handy many admin type roles are pulling in upwards of €70k per year I’m not even joking.

As I said previously, I'd not be happy to have a blabber mouth whinger and begrudger complete my tax returns and I'd hazard a guess that those named above would share my sentiments.

Op has appointed himself as self adjudicator of his clients earnings, who and what they should earn, without any qualification to do so.

Why is is it any of his business what different roles earn?

Also feels like the big I am broadcasting peoples earnings.

Clear lack of respect for his clients.

Would be weeded out in most practices (in Dublin) anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The OP, its nativity and knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, generally its a personality type.

Getting away for the OP a bit what jobs do people think will not come back.

I cant think of any except maybe some catering? Airlines?

Pharmasuitcials, finance, multinationals, etc are awash with money so can't see anything happening there.

Massive money will be pumped into construction in the form of public infrastructure projects to reflow the economy.

A lot more spending on healthcare and public services as well.

We've had crashes before and recessions.

What disappeared then...

We've had crashes before and recessions.

What disappeared then...

That is true, new professions are being invented all the time as well.

As long as the bounce back happens quickly we will be grand.

mariaalice wrote: »
    The OP, its nativity and knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, generally its a personality type.

Getting away for the OP a bit what jobs do people think will not come back.

I cant think of any except maybe some catering? Airlines?

Pharmasuitcials, finance, multinationals, etc are awash with money so can't see anything happening there.

Massive money will be pumped into construction in the form of public infrastructure projects to reflow the economy.

A lot more spending on healthcare and public services as well.

The cost of everything and value of nothing. You’re only the tenth person to use that cliche and then the one about how AI is going to wipe out accountants.

The cost of everything and value of nothing. You’re only the tenth person to use that cliche and then the one about how AI is going to wipe out accountants.

But that is what it is, I would love to know what causes it, its a kind of cynicism and corrdes a lot of life for the person.

I don’t think anyone was suggesting that “AI is going to wipe out accountants”, there’s simply less demand for roles in accounting due to automation of accounting practices. There are still plenty of people who have qualifications relating to accounting and finance, but as you pointed out yourself earlier, they’re obviously not all accountants.

Simply put there are far more people with an education and background in accounting and finance than there are roles for people to be employed as accountants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He was “only” on €75K 4 days ago.

Maybe Srameen is her husband?:pac:

More like this really...

These are not architects, solicitors or accountants but people working in large organisations, pharma and multi nationals in roles like HR and staffing or general marketing jobs on €80k per annum. You would be surprised how handy many admin type roles are pulling in upwards of €70k per year I’m not even joking.

As I said previously, I'd not be happy to have a blabber mouth whinger and begrudger complete my tax returns and I'd hazard a guess that those named above would share my sentiments.

Op has appointed himself as self adjudicator of his clients earnings, who and what they should earn, without any qualification to do so.

Why is is it any of his business what different roles earn?

Also feels like the big I am broadcasting peoples earnings.

Clear lack of respect for his clients.

Would be weeded out in most practices (in Dublin) anyway.

Which ones named above exactly. What are their names? By you logic a solicitor or barrister cannot discuss a case they are working on or a doctor discuss an illness because his patient might have that disease. At Cpd events in packed rooms, accountants will talk about “we have a client like this on this income and here is what we did”

Save your phoney outrage for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

Utter nonsense. We’ve been hearing this about AI in the accountancy profession for years. I’ve already responded to this several times have a read. Just because you post a link to a Wikipedia page and rhyme off something you read in a start up of the year magazine doesn’t make you look smart.

The reality is that the vast majority of CEO’s of the top listed FTSE 100 companies are accountants. There are good reasons for that so take your Wikipedia definitions somewhere else please.
    That would be less true in the tech sector which employs many thousands in this country, and is one of the main drivers for the strong economy we have/had.

It's probably fair to say that very few if any startups are initiated by accountants.

It bothers me sometimes that people in authority (politicians particularly) have absolutely zero clue what goes on in that whole sector.

plodder wrote: »
    That would be less true in the tech sector which employs many thousands in this country, and is one of the main drivers for the strong economy we have/had.

It's probably fair to say that very few if any startups are initiated by accountants.

To be fair, our economic dependence upon MNCs in the tech sector is also one of the main drivers behind why our economy tanked. Many tech startups arose out of those economic circumstances, as there will be many innovative startups arise out of our current economic circumstances. Enterprise Ireland though aren’t all that fond of startups which aren’t immediate HPSUs.

plodder wrote: »
    It bothers me sometimes that people in authority (politicians particularly) have absolutely zero clue what goes on in that whole sector.

Yeah but that’s hardly surprising that people aren’t clued in on an industry they aren’t involved in or that they don’t imagine has any great impact on their lives? The same could be said by anyone in any industry, that people in authority don’t have a clue what goes on in that whole sector. It’s just not a priority for them is all, and that’s completely understandable.

Pretty every startup I've ever worked in had an accountant somewhere in the mix.
    That said they often aren't the best business heads.
    They might cut a business unit like R&D because its expensive and doesn't generate income directly.
    Then the business struggles or fails because it become directionless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So that's 99% of us fcked so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

My husband this, my husband that. What have you done for yourself?

You work for your brother.

The whole of our economic system is built on fluff middle management jobs. Even if there is some extensive cost cutting in large service and manufacturing companies (which is unlikely unless this lasts well into a second financial year), but they will soon all be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Just thought I would hop in here. I am not an accountant, but in the sector (business development). Never thought I would see a scrap between industry and practice :) who said accountants were boring ? :pac: thread should probably move to the accounting forum for a proper scrap. I think a discussion on jobs/professions that are likely to struggle in the coming months/years would be interesting. So ones that require human contact like beauty services etc. Or the OP could retitle the thread to "why me, as a practice accountant, is better than you ;)" Just joking!
    HR in general is fluff. I accept that some organisations need a hr dept to document numbers of staff, hiring, firing, timesheets, holidays but anytime things get heavy they bring in outside legal counsel and when it come to recruitment they sub contract it out to recruitment agencies (which is another thread) but for the most part HR is definitely fluff.

Bloggers and influencers have never made money to begin with so business as usual for them.

I wouldnt call HR fluff. Staff retention and bad hires can be very costly if gotten wrong. Especially in those multi nationals where a mistake can cost hundreds of thousands/millions as opposed to a couple of quid in a regular SME. Im talking production shutting down, decontaminating production lines, quality issues leading to legal cases etc. Not even going to go into staff resourcing for a mutli country project.
    In my experience and in reality, most accountants in industry are not real accountants and cant read a P&L and Sheet and just bluff their way through the general ledger accounting roles that they work in.

If you knew how stupid your post was you wouldn’t have said it. Practice accountants are the most clued one because they understand the financials most and their technical ability is far superior than accountants in industry because they need to be aware of constant changes in tax legislation, companies act and accounting frameworks.

What a silly post you just made.

From my experience, practice is either for you or isnt. And i think its 70/30 industry/practice split. Practice accountants I would say are more at the coalface of the regs and compliance. But at the same time, someone in transfer pricing in a multi national could be more knowledgable on that particular area. I guess it all depends. Everyone has their specialities. There is room for everyone.

Similarly I have come across practice accountants that have made some serious mistakes. In particular one was not submitting VAT returns, and over paid them as was just copying and pasting. But thats why professional indemnity insurance is there I suppose.
    We’ve been hearing this for years. What’s “screwed” is the basic compliance work like bookkeeping, payroll, Tax compliance. But that was always low value work that clients don’t want to pay for anyway. AI actually makes our job easier.

They said excel will replace accountants and computers will replace pilots... I dont think the accountant will be gone anytime soon. Not until the government recognises a piece of AI as a legal person :)
    You don't have to join CIPD to work in HR. It can be joined, if you take their exams or have a HR degree etc. and you can use their initials after your name.

At the risk of triggering the OP I got a HR degree a few years back. :D

There are professional accountants who are members of prescribed bodies like ACA, ACCA, CPA etc. But there is no legal protection on the term. So anyone can call themselves an accountant. I can even buy CPA letters by joining some obscure accounting institute in the middle east for a fee with no exams. Solicitor on the other hand, enjoy legal protection.
    Death and taxes are two guarantees in life. Double entry accounting had been around for hundreds of years but yet balancing trial balances is something the vast majority of are people are unable to do it despite. We see it regularly where client comes in and says “I’ve done everything myself and all you need to do is sign off” at which stage we ask them
    Is your bank account actually €200k overdrawn
    Why do your customers have debit balances and does revenue really owe you €100k in PAYE? Then we get the litany of excuses about how they hired someone to do the books every second Wednesday and how they transferred this journal to this account because that seemed to make sense and the. we tell them that the whole thing needs to be done from scratch and will cost double the price.

Accounting web is literally full of people trying to “balance the books”

Id agree here. So much DIY software out there. messages like its easy to do your books yourself etc. The fact is, a lot of clients I deal with plod on with a years worth of bookkeeping but get fundamentals wrong. It is easy to make a mistake if its not your field. Some accounting packages for free like bullet dont stop you from making mistakes. They accept data and put it out. And it all needs to be done from scratch. I always say, focus on your business and pass the books to someone else. For your own sanity, free time, and saving money in the end etc.
    Not sure why there’s a row going on between industry and practice accountants. The real enemies are so called bookkeepers who have a vague idea how to work excel and some other accounting software but no actual knowledge of debits and credits or any sort of reconciliation. OTOH much work for accountants in cleaning up their mistakes, so long may it last.

I wouldnt tar them all with the same brush. but yes, there are some dubious characters out there... but like you said. More work for accountants.
    These type of roles have grown exponentially in the last 8 years especially within multinational, pharma companies and very large organisations. They approach things from a high level point of view so rather than waste time and money in a growing economy they offer a higher salary than their competitors and the competition does likewise. It’s the opportunity cost of waiting months or losing a candidate over a €5k salary increase so they bump the offer by €10k. If there is an economic adjustment I think a lot of these type of fluffy jobs will take a hit.

In Dublin this is particularly true. But thats just supply and demand. I suspect that a particular job may not take a hit, but a blanket pay decrease across the entire organisation proportional to their income. You keep saying fluffy, that implies there is nothing to it.... I am speaking anecdotally here from my own network, people in these high salary roles often have a lot of experience and strong credentials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But what can you call a "fluff" job though? Initially I thought of jobs in marketing, influencing etc but when you think about it - when this crisis is over - we are going to need marketing, PR etc to help get businesses and brands back up and running again, getting people to engage in discretionary spending again so that Mary can get her job back in retail, John can get his job back in the pub and Niamh can get her weekends waitressing.

Advertisement