Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fixed Wireless & Use of Ethernet ports throughout house

• 22-03-2020 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I'm due to move into a new house soon. There are ethernet ports in each room of the house. The utility room looks to be the area in the house where the router is set to be placed (phone port plus 5 ethernet ports)

My question is, as Fibre is not available, I will likely have to go with Fixed Wireless with Airwire or Lightnet. Will the router still be able to be set up in the utility room?

I had lightnet in a previous house but they just set the receiver on the roof and went down the drainpipe and drilled through the wall to be place in the corner of the living room.

If anyone could shed some light on how difficult it would be for an installation to be placed in the utility so I could make use of the ethernet ports it would be great. Just want to know what my options could end up being.

Image of where it looks like a router is intended to be set up - https://i.imgur.com/m86dKtu.jpg

Should also point out the utility is in between kitchen and hall so not easily accessible if drilled from outside.

Appreciate any info or what type of instructions I could give an installer (thinking they might say its not doable if it requires any sort of additional work)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doesnt need to be.

Antenna -> Router in room X
    Room X to switch in utility
    Utility to all other rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

ED E wrote: »
    Doesn't need to be.

Antenna -> Router in room X
    Room X to switch in utility
    Utility to all other rooms.

Would this need an electrician first or would the installer be able to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Internals are not the installers job, but they may help if its easy for them. If the cabling has already been done then the installer just runs his drop wire to where suits and you plug and play the rest.

Stick one of these on the utility wall and patch in as many short cables as you need to connect the ports you want.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG108S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP6ZLSM/
    (They're bulletproof switches, would survive the nuclear apocalypse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

joe123 wrote: »
    Would this need an electrician first or would the installer be able to do it?
    Didn't you said every room wired?
    Once all wire ends are terminated already i don't see need for spark. Just plug-and-play.
    From any room modem is placed in, connect modem to wall port - this will make link to your utility. In utility you will place switch and this way extend connection to all other rooms.

Didn't you said every room wired?
    Once all wire ends are terminated already i don't see need for spark. Just plug-and-play.
    From any room modem is placed in, connect modem to wall port - this will make link to your utility. In utility you will place switch and this way extend connection to all other rooms.

Thanks for the help guys and sorry for my ignorance here.

So from what I've seen before of these fixed Wireless installs:

Installer will place receiver/dish on roof > Run cable down outside of house and in through easy access point eg. corner of living room.

At this point the connection hes run from receiver is plugged into router which effectively you are done. Connect whatever you like to router + wireless.

For this house however, as I want to make use of having ethernet ports in every room:(already wired)

He could still run cable into corner of living room > connect router and in turn I connect router to ethernet port in wall.

And from here am I right in understanding all I need to do is - plug switch box in at Utility to correct port and then for whatever room I want an additional connection in, I also run a cable to that specific port from the Switch?

• Advertisement

...and all done.

...and all done.

Lol great :)

Thanks again for the help all.

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread but today I needed to use Port 5 for a wired connection. When I looked at the set up in the utility, I noticed that the Vodafone installer (KP network or whatever they are called) placed another box over where Port 5 is.

So now it looks like this https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k8WT8Xo5r-QiRRjvPMJlctlG_G3cGiba/view?usp=sharing

and I have no way of connecting Port 5 to the router. Is this a difficult thing to reverse? Actually so pissed off that I only noticed this now and cant believe he just decided to install a box for a DSL phone line right over it.

If I contact Vodafone explaining, do you think they will get an engineer out to correct what they have done? Port 5 is annoyingly one of the main ones I need now for work reasons too.

As show here https://i.imgur.com/m86dKtu.jpg, this is how it should look with 5 ethernet ports wired around the house.

Really appreciate any info/advice on it.

EDIT: I took the plate off and it looks like this behind. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kEcRkfIyqcBmBIvN7COSsKslN3NcBLmC/view?usp=sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I'm confused, not by you, but why the installer did that.

Where does\did Port 5 connect too?
    What is on the other end of that black DSL cable in the picture?

Is it possible to connect the black DSL directly into a switch and then us a patch cable from the switch into port 5 (+ others) so that port 5 will work as you intended?

It is possible that although he put in a different faceplate that port 5 is still working as you intended. Port 5 may have been cabled incorrectly and he fixed the problem, the only way he could. That's a complete guess obviously but it's the only reason I can think of right now.

I'm confused, not by you, but why the installer did that.

Where does\did Port 5 connect too?
    What is on the other end of that black DSL cable in the picture?

Is it possible to connect the black DSL directly into a switch and then us a patch cable from the switch into port 5 (+ others) so that port 5 will work as you intended?

It is possible that although he put in a different faceplate that port 5 is still working as you intended. Port 5 may have been cabled incorrectly and he fixed the problem, the only way he could. That's a complete guess obviously but it's the only reason I can think of right now.

Port 5 runs to a room in the second floor. Or at least it did. With the box he put in when installing the line, he took out the box that had Port 5 and one DSL line. Its now one of those splitter type boxes (computer symbol + Phone line)

Port 5 is completely removed on the front, I just hope he hasnt damaged the Cat5 cable thats behind.

After being put on hold 3 times by 3 different reps yesterday by Vodafone and the line dropping, the 4th Rep took my details and said he will send it off for further investigation. He also asked me to send my images to their email address. Havent received any reference number or acknowledgement I called so Im highly suspicious anything has been taken.

Surely they will send someone out to fix the mistake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Port 5 runs to a room in the second floor. Or at least it did. With the box he put in when installing the line, he took out the box that had Port 5 and one DSL line. Its now one of those splitter type boxes (computer symbol + Phone line)

I've just recalled the last time I had a DSL service that the installer did the same thing, he replaced the faceplate on the front of the normal DSL\Telephone line box so I think that is part of a "normal" install.

What is confusing me is that if Port 5 is cabled into your room on the second floor, it makes no sense for an engineer to make any changes to that cable or port as the other end goes to a dead (not in use) port in the room on the second floor...whereas the way it appears to be configured now, it looks like the other end of that cable in the DSL box is going back, ultimately, to the telephone exchange.

Hopefully someone else will jump in as perhaps I missing something here.

So what exact internet you got?

If not mistaking you went for fixed line with Vodafone, and port next to "5" is your incoming line - shouldn't be in the same box, or should i say should be in separate box
    Look like engineer just buried "5" and used existing surface box. Hopefully didn't trim cable "5" short...

Alteration could be done by separating them two lines into independent boxes(providing cable length) or fish cable "5" into double box with other ports and re-punch on this face-plate.
    Again, see if sufficient cable tails there before any adjustment.

So what exact internet you got?

If not mistaking you went for fixed line with Vodafone, and port next to "5" is your incoming line - shouldn't be in the same box, or should i say should be in separate box
    Look like engineer just buried "5" and used existing surface box. Hopefully didn't trim cable "5" short...

Alteration could be done by separating them two lines into independent boxes(providing cable length) or fish cable "5" into double box with other ports and re-punch on this face-plate.
    Again, see if sufficient cable tails there before any adjustment.

Yes I probably should have started a new thread on this. But in the end I went with fixed line (ADSL) with vodafone.

Getting speeds of 12Mb UP / 0.6 Down.

Im not sure if he snipped any of the port 5 cable, it looks like its pushed in rather than cut but then again I cant be sure.

Id rather an engineer come out and rectify the issue, whatever the original installer did, Im not sure why he didnt just use the DSL port for the phone, or run a splitter from that port, rather than completely remove my 5th port.

What are my options if Vodafone get back to me and say "tough" ? Im not confident as their support has been pretty terrible so far.

Better engineer... or someone with knowledge and tools...

As i suggested above, check if enough slack on links "1 - to - 5" - remove plate(s) and carefully pull each wire from where it comes from, don't pull by face-plate. If think you have ~10cm on each out from that double box re-punch onto new face-plate with sufficient port number - all neath in one box. Reassemble and leave DSL alone.

It is possible to work with bit shorter tails, but awkward and "no room for mistakes..."

Other option, again, if enough wire, reroute DSL line into separate new box and reconnect the way it was, restore "5" face-plate

Better engineer... or someone with knowledge and tools...

As i suggested above, check if enough slack on links "1 - to - 5" - remove plate(s) and carefully pull each wire from where it comes from, don't pull by face-plate. If think you have ~10cm on each out from that double box re-punch onto new face-plate with sufficient port number - all neath in one box. Reassemble and leave DSL alone.

It is possible to work with bit shorter tails, but awkward and "no room for mistakes..."

Other option, again, if enough wire, reroute DSL line into separate new box and reconnect the way it was, restore "5" face-plate

Just had a call from Vodafone saying an engineer is coming out Thursday. Fingers crossed they can sort it.

Thanks for the info. Im definitely not confident in my own ability to sort it, taking the plate off was as far as Id go, especially if we are talking cm room for mistakes.

Just had a call from Vodafone saying an engineer is coming out Thursday. Fingers crossed they can sort it.

Thanks for the info. Im definitely not confident in my own ability to sort it, taking the plate off was as far as Id go, especially if we are talking cm room for mistakes.

Just to update if anyone has similar issue. KN engineer came out this morning, had a look and couldn't understand why the previous KN guy did that.

Took him 5 mins to pull the port 5 cable out. Very happy with service from both Vofafone (after first few fails) and the KN guy.

Only issue is he didn't have a plate that would fit an ethernet port so currently it's like a lose wire but I should be able to sort that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Only issue is he didn't have a plate that would fit an ethernet port so currently it's like a lose wire but I should be able to sort that myself.

Did he terminate the wires into a keystone for you or is it just wire?

Where did the original disappear, previous engi took it away?
    :D

dam099 wrote: »
    Did he terminate the wires into a keystone for you or is it just wire?

Sorry not sure what you mean by Keystone? But basically Port 5/Catcable is hanging and ethernet cable is running from that to router.
    Where did the original disappear, previous engi took it away?
    :D

Yeah pretty much unfortunately. Hoping I'l be able to pick one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

Sorry not sure what you mean by Keystone? But basically Port 5/Catcable is hanging and ethernet cable is running from that to router.

The ethernet port you plug the cables into, like these .

If he has terminated into one of those that's the trickier bit, it should just snap into a plate.

• Advertisement

dam099 wrote: »
    The ethernet port you plug the cables into, like these .

If he has terminated into one of those that's the trickier bit, it should just snap into a plate.

Yep, thats there with the ethernet cable then connected to that. Just need a cover that has one ethernet port and one DSL port (like it was originally :rolleyes:)

Advertisement