Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ping 683ms DOwnload 0.08 Upload 2.03

• 22-03-2020 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭

This is so slow. How can this be improved. I also cant have 2 laptops on network at same time. I could cry. I am trying to work from home and it is almost impossible

Can this be improved?

I have a tp link router on 3 mobile broadband
    I bought a new Acer Swift to wfh

Help please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Where do you have the router positioned currently? Can you try to place it by a window to see if it improves? Can you also post the model of the TP-Link router?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It is a tp-link AC750 wireless dual band 4G lite router. I cant even have 2 laptops running on it at same time.

The router is in my bedroom about 2 foot away from me and unable to put near window at the minute. I cant attach cable as laptop doesnt have space for cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Switch provider, that ain't going to work no matter what router you use.

Provider was grand until their router stopped working. Was lightening fast. I rang them for new router and the said they were out of stock. Then told me if mine was broke to bring it in and get it sent away to be checked out. I pointed out that Im immunosupressed and we are supposed to be isolating due to a thing called the coronavirus. He was insistent I bring it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

khalessi wrote: »
    Provider was grand until their router stopped working. Was lightening fast.

Set the new unit to 3G only, the old one was probably using 3G which is slower overall but faster as nobody is using it.

• Advertisement

It is now 3:35amish and I retested
    Ping 18 Download 11.11 Upload 6.12

So I suppose I will have to work at night for the foreseeable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Contention issue?

Appears when others are using it, your service is rubbish. Too many sharing it?

Just me. I tried to attach another laptop last night for Netflix but kept freezing so gave up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

khalessi wrote: »
    Just me. I tried to attach another laptop last night for Netflix but kept freezing so gave up

I don't mean others in your house, but others sharing your service.

Who is your provider?
    Is it wired or wireless?

3 is the provider
    It is wireless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NIMAN wrote: »
    Who is your provider?
    Is it wired or wireless?

Try reading the OP.

Vodafone’s internet usage has surged by up to 50% in some European countries as consumers shift to working at home and turn to services such as Netflix because the coronavirus is keeping families indoors.

MNOs are being hammered right now. For the most part they just will not be usable for WFH during C19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

ED E wrote: »
    Set the new unit to 3G only, the old one was probably using 3G which is slower overall but faster as nobody is using it.

Try the above. I live in the country and can get both 3G and 4G but 4G is very unreliable so I switched the router to 3G and it's fine. Using Three as well and their supplied router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Also sometimes putting the router near or infront of the window makes it worse. From experience from using Internet from LTE providers I found windows shield a lot of signal (Modern day upvc windows). Windows also reflect wifi signal too.
    If weather allows, try putting router outside window and maybe see if that helps.
    I made a router cover from an old 5L windscreen washer container (Huwaei B593) so i could put it outside. Inside the window i got 2 bars of signal and speed was 5-8mb d/l. Outside the window 5 bars signal and 20-30mb d/l.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 877 ✭✭✭65535

Some of those routers you can use external antenna

Advertisement