Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which smart thermostatic radiator valves to pair with climote

Options
  • 22-03-2020 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I really need some help regarding which smart radiator valves to go for.

We moved not our house a little over a year ago and have had to spend way more money than expected sorting various things that we hadn't expected so I'm looking for a system that is 1) reliable and easy to install ourselves and 2) not too expensive (if such a thing exists).

We have HW + 2 zone heating (upstairs and downstairs).
    Downstairs there is a gas boiler that is connected to climote which simply lets us turn on and off the entire zone.

Each zone has a portable climote thermostat (plus there are still the original thermostats that are wired up to the boiler - 1 in the hall downstairs and 1 in a bedroom upstairs). The wired thermostats are turned up full and the climote ones are set to the temperature we want the heating to go off at (22 degrees).

There are 12 radiators in zone 1 (downstairs) and 7 in zone 2 (upstairs) but i don't want to be heating the entire zone every time I turn on the heating. Instead i would like to be able to boost the heating in the front room only at night for example when watching tv, or heat up the kitchen/dining room in the morning and not have the rest of the radiators come on.

Ideally if there is a way to control the radiator valves effectively without an expensive hub/bridge then that's the solution I would like. I have looked at Eve but the reviews haven't been that great so then i started looking at Tado but then there was mention of additional wall thermostats and i haven't the foggiest how that would link up with my climote? Would i then have 3 thermostats, which seems mad to me? 1 the main wired connected to the boiler at max, 1 in each zone connected to climote with timings, and then 1 that connects to the radiator valves downstairs? It all seems a bit much to me. I like the remote access of climote and would rather not have to pay to get a new box at the boiler.

So, the long and short of it is.....can i just get smart radiator valves that can be controlled via an app, and which are the best ones or do i need to go through a whole smart bridge connection set up, and again which would be the best?

Advertisement