Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beech Hedging Dying

Options
  • 23-03-2020 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, we planted Beech Hedges March 3 years ago. All bare root. We have noticed out of the approx 700 hundred planted the vast majority are dying. They have growth on top but dying from roots up. Roots are black and break off easily. The soil is not wet or waterlogged. We did use sooker during summers, could we have over watered? Also I had the black weed control over them, could that have damaged them? Soil is good, we have white torn on other side fence that planted same time and they are thriving. Gutted as besides costing us a fortune, it's sad to see them all die. We don't know what to do now, pull all up or hope some survive. Or if replacing is there any point planting beech again. We would welcome advice. Has this happened to others and if so did you find out why. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the plants should not be in leaf yet - how do you know they're dying?
    are the branches supple and green, or dry and brittle?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Indigoflower23

Dry and brittle and the strange thing when you break top branch looks ok but when go further its completely dry. All really brittle, if you touch will break.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I would go hornbeam if you are replacing.
    It has 90% of the appearances of beach but it’s not so fussy regarding soil etc.

Thanks for all your advice. Have photos but not letting me upload.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Hi, we planted Beech Hedges March 3 years ago. All bare root. We have noticed out of the approx 700 hundred planted the vast majority are dying. They have growth on top but dying from roots up. Roots are black and break off easily. The soil is not wet or waterlogged. We did use sooker during summers, could we have over watered? Also I had the black weed control over them, could that have damaged them? Soil is good, we have white torn on other side fence that planted same time and they are thriving. Gutted as besides costing us a fortune, it's sad to see them all die. We don't know what to do now, pull all up or hope some survive. Or if replacing is there any point planting beech again. We would welcome advice. Has this happened to others and if so did you find out why. Thanks so much.

Possible they were planted too deep???

• Advertisement

I wonder ... never thought of that. Thanks … will ask hubby.
    Although my husband planted them alongside 2 long term members of a local landscaping company so I was sort of presuming they were planted the right depth. They (the company) have only ever experienced this once before and when it happened the soil was waterlogged, so that explained it. This is not the case with this soil.

Advertisement