Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

It’s only a matter of time now with the brits doing it

I said this a few posts back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Seve OB wrote: »
    China went into lockdown on 23 January and they only had 628 cases. We are now at 1,125 cases. We should have gone into full lockdown 2-3 weeks ago. I’m afraid we missed the boat.

It's hard to believe any of the stats that come out of China.

Much more likely they had much more than 628 cases before they went into lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I really don't get the people complaining. None of us are experts so lets stop pretending. I will gladly lock myself and my family down if thats what needs to be done. Wont be easy keeping children happy confined to the house but whatever it takes to keep their grandparents and others safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

AllForIt wrote: »
    It's hard to believe any of the stats that come out of China.

Much more likely they had much more than 628 cases before they went into lockdown.

I wouldn’t disagree.
    It’s also much more likely that Ireland has much more than 1,125 cases right now

Would you provide a list of ten things that are currently open that you would shut down?

I have a feeling you are trying to be smart and don’t think there is still anything unnecessary left open but here is a few off the top of my head.

NCT centres
    Car sales
    Service garages
    busses, trains, trams
    Public recreation areas
    Golf clubs
    Coffee shops
    Restaurants
    Fast food joints, I believe McDonald’s are closing themselves down today.
    DIY shops
    Off licences
    Clothes shops and other unnecessary retail, can’t remember which but there were a few open in Blanch yesterday.
    edit;
    specsavers was open. have you ever had your eyes tested? i would not want to get that close to anyone in those confines unless an emergency, for which specsavers is not where you would be heading!
    my dentist cancelled my appointment for this week as they choose to close. that leads me to believe there may be other dentists open.... again, unless emergency, not a situation anyone should be in at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

So we should follow the Brits now? Nah I'll go with what our experts are endorsing including the suggestions from WHO. Only last week the Brits were going for herd immunity based on the projection of a totally different disease.

The thing is, there are plenty of services out there that are maybe not 100% essential, but still extremely important. Tough calls to make regarding what’s needed and what’s not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the counrty that is dealing with the virus , probably best of all is - South Korea - they did not go into full lockdown, practicesed safety first , whilst maintaining basic life -

Total lockdown will have ramifications to many other aspects of life- mental health / essential services for the medical team - mechanics / food / electricity / sanitation -

Closing everything down will cause other serious problems in socitey , so needs to be done carefully, be much happier getting a realistic message to the many who seam unconcerned and not practicing social distancing, which I think if practiced correctly would be the best tactic, whilst maintaining some form of life for the many.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

thebaz wrote: »
    the counrty that is dealing with the virus , probably best of all is - South Korea - they did not go into full lockdown, practicesed safety first , whilst maintaining basic life -

Total lockdown will have ramifications to many other aspects of life- mental health / essential services for the medical team - mechanics / food / electricity / sanitation -

Closing everything down will cause other serious problems in socitey , so needs to be done carefully, be much happier getting a realistic message to the many who seam unconcerned and not practicing social distancing, which I think if practiced correctly would be the best tactic, whilst maintaining some form of life for the many.

This

And people are calling for lockdowns out of pure fear. I cant understand people want their liberties taken from them and be prisoners in their own homes.

I said this a few posts back.

Yeah, but like eh, Jesus has far more credibility over a smelly sock :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Does a total lockdown include working in factories etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

rob316 wrote: »
    This

And people are calling for lockdowns out of pure fear. I cant understand people want their liberties taken from them and be prisoners in their own homes.
    What good is your freedom if you're dead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Yes I would think so, anything non essential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I am in a factory in Germany. We have to keep 1.5 m away from everyone at all times. 50 of us eating in a canteen for 500. It's like a sifi movie but at least I have my job here.

unless you are working in a pharmaceutical factory why wouldn't it.

if you work in a toilet roll factory.... well we might just have to use our left hands for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Seve OB wrote: »
    unless you are working in a pharmaceutical factory why wouldn't it.

if you work in a toilet roll factory.... well we might just have to use our left hands for a while

I'm in a contact lens factory, I'm assuming that's bad, very bad.

don't know
    can't see you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

And what after the 2 months?
    Keep the island locked down?
    Do we put a hard border between us and the North?

What happens when it comes back into the country again

We got to be serious. Farting around will extend the problem. Lockdown and increase testing. Test first people who have symptoms and those working in the fontline. Then test those working essential jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

If Vesticon. They probably be pushing the workers unnecessary. Ending up having faulty batches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Dont worry they wont shut us down. Unless your in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Not in 1 week 2 weeks whatever, NOW!
    While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Anyone that agrees stick your name below.

It won't work. There is no such thing as a shutdown.

50,000 people in Italy were caught disobeying it.

All shut downs allow people to leave their houses pretty much for every reason they want....

I mean you want to go to the shops fine. You go out for work fine. You go out for exercise fine. So you leave your house three times a day.

Countries that have implementing shutdowns are not succeeding in fighting corona.

Italy is getting worse so is france so is spain ..

Meanwhile Japan and Korea are doing amazing with no lockdown.

They are socially distancing using masks and testing. And they are getting their people to comply.

Lockdowns are not sustainable and from the looks of it people are not obeying and they CANT be enforced.

It doesn't matter if you have a lockdown ..it matters how people behave when they DO leave their houses. And if you can't get people to behave its not going to work.

I mean you see people out for their second or third walk ..how are you going to know?

Lockdowns don't work because they are HARDER to implement that anything else.

ALL lockdowns can do is stop people congregating in TOWN in the inner city. That is it.

And when you are talking outside of Dublin they don't have the man power to police it.

NOW IF YOU WANTED TO SAY ..SHUT DOWN THE PETROL PUMPS AND PUBLIC TRANSPORT

That would be SOMEWHAT of a real lock down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I am considering packing in my job, I am a minimum wage slave anyway so I could just pick up another minimum wage slave position after the crisis.

Who am I to ignore Boris? It would be dishonourable if I didn't sign on the dole again. Arlene Foster and Michelle O'Neil preached at us to stay at home so that is what I must do. Who am I to ignore the leaders of the country? I am a danger to the people of Northern Ireland if I continue to go to my wage slave position during this crisis. No one is going to give me a pay rise for working during this crisis.

Interestingly the WHO or World Health Organization says lockdowns are not enough and wont work.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2190FM

They say countries relying on lockdowns won't defeat the virus as its not enough. They need to take the fight to the virus with testing.
    Reuters) - Countries can't simply lock down their societies to defeat coronavirus, the World Health Organization's top emergency expert said on Sunday, adding that public health measures are needed to avoid a resurgence of the virus later on.

"What we really need to focus on is finding those who are sick, those who have the virus, and isolate them, find their contacts and isolate them," Mike Ryan said in an interview on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show.

"The danger right now with the lockdowns ... if we don't put in place the strong public health measures now, when those movement restrictions and lockdowns are lifted, the danger is the disease will jump back up."

This is why lockdown is not working in Italy.
    Ryan said that the examples of China, Singapore and South Korea, which coupled restrictions with rigorous measures to test every possible suspect, provided a model for Europe, which the WHO has said has replaced Asia as the epicenter of the pandemic.

"Once we've suppressed the transmission, we have to go after the virus. We have to take the fight to the virus," Ryan said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭riddles

In recent years, Italy has been registering peaks in death rates, particularly among the elderly during the winter season. A mortality rate of 10.7 per 1,000 inhabitants was observed in the winter season 2014/2015 (more than 375,000 deaths in absolute terms), corresponding to an estimated 54,000 excess deaths (+9.1%) as compared to 2014 (Signorelli and Odone, 2016), representing the highest reported mortality rate since the Second World War in Italy (UN, 2019). Although the above-described excess mortality created concern among researchers, health authorities and public health experts, it has been challenging to identify its determinants (Signorelli and Odone, 2016).

We estimated excess deaths of 7,027, 20,259, 15,801 and 24,981 attributable to influenza epidemics in the 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16 and 2016/17, respectively, using the Goldstein index. The average annual mortality excess rate per 100,000 ranged from 11.6 to 41.2 with most of the influenza-associated deaths per year registered among the elderly. However children less than 5 years old also reported a relevant influenza attributable excess death rate in the 2014/15 and 2016/17 seasons (1.05/100,000 and 1.54/1000

in ireland week ending 16/1/2020 609 people were admitted to hospital with flu, bringing the season total to 2,707. Most of those who died were aged 65 years and older.

expected that the number of deaths from flu would reach between 100 and 120 this year.

If people adopt a sensible approach then deaths could be kept to a minimum may well trend in line with the standard seasonal flu if flattening the curve is achieved.

Interestingly the WHO or World Health Organization says lockdowns are not enough and wont work.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN2190FM

They say countries relying on lockdowns won't defeat the virus as its not enough. They need to take the fight to the virus with testing.

This is why lockdown is not working in Italy.

I am not saying the WHO are saying not to have a lockdown by the way ..its just not enough ...and not the way korea Japan did it.

Also its not the way china won the war. And its becoming clear italy is in big trouble.

Apparently without other measures the virus just resurfaces after any lockdown.

Also LET THIS SINK in ...China has a population of about ONE BILLION it has 4000k corona deaths roughly ....Italy has over 6000K corona deaths and a population of 60 million.

Italy has really screwed up.

All this 'Oh the DRS are working so hard ' any time someone criticizes the way the pandemic is being handled has to stop. People have made some very poor decisions and have not made resources available nor manufactured them.

I don't like a lockdown. But ill do it if its necessary. BUT ONLY IF THEY TAKE THE OTHER MEASURES OTHERWISE THE LOCKDOWN IS USELESS and it will just re-emerge after its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

37 posts and one name, not up to us to be trying to force these agendas, the people with alot more information should be left to make the right decision without being pressurised

Perhaps there's a lesson for you here that sometimes ,EG in the bedroom, it pays not to be premature!

Interesting article here.

Its about the fact that in some countries lockdowns will not actually be possible.

One of India's renowned epidemiologists says in HIS country (he is only talking about India) lockdowns will not be possible.

https://scroll.in/article/956932/interview-suppression-wont-work-in-india-slow-down-the-coronavirus-this-will-be-a-long-haul
    “Suppression is not going to work in India in my opinion,” he said. “In an organised society, where food can be delivered into each house, it is possible, not in India... That is not my response to a public health emergency. Community participation is.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Too many people living from week to week or month to month with money that cannot afford to stop working

• Advertisement

YFlyer wrote: »
    Farting around will extend the problem.

Thought it was only coughing and sneezing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement