Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

We won't all get it. 0.06% of the world's population have caught it to date. How do you see that going to 100%?

indeed, we are trying to slow it until proven treatment is available and then a vaccine is approved

The virus will more than likely burn out eventually if no treatment were available etc and herd immunity would kick in eventually circa 60% of population but that would take years. I expect good news on treatments within weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Does he live with his parents?

Are his parents vulnerable? Just found out my parents arent. I am still staying home but still.

Its the mind game we have to win.

No he doesn't :)

My parents are vulnerable given their age and my younger sister is vulnerable due to an underlying condition.

My grandmother is 98 and it kills me to not be able to visit her.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That 9% could rise if people spread it. It's not about the figures as they are now but what they could be if people don't start copping on.

Oh no you mis understand sorry that wasn't clear.

The 9% is italy. Its overly high.

The average death rate everywhere else is 2% some places its even lower.

Italy is the exception they have dealt with this terribly. Mostly through people not complying with any rules the govt lays down.

The death rate here is around 2 %.

My parents are vulnerable given their age and my younger sister is vulnerable due to an underlying condition.

I understand why you are so worried. I really hope you get the support you need and that you are all ok :)

My grandmother is 98 and it kills me to not be able to visit her.

My comment was directed at "Lesnar Defender"... as was yours. Guess I should have quoted him, but your post seemed more relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

ILoveYourVibes, your info is objectively wrong. Its 3.5% Case Fatality Rate worldwide. The best place we can judge the overall mortality rate is China where they have had enough of a lull to see what it looks like when the dust settles and its about 3.7% there (Source: WHO, see my previous post). Also, you're monopolising the conversation, take a break please. Thanks.

Does he live with his parents?

Are his parents vulnerable? Just found out my parents arent. I am still staying home but still.

Its the mind game we have to win.

Vulnerable? I'd be considering the possibility of lung damage and attack on the immune system, which leaves them less capable of dealing with further illnesses. It's not just the virus itself that is the risk.

And since he could be carrying the virus for quite some time, or even get reinfected multiple times, the risk is remains for any encounter.

Being responsible about the possibility of carrying the virus, is all part of winning any mind game.

DeVore wrote: »
    ILoveYourVibes, your info is objectively wrong. Its 3.5% Case Fatality Rate worldwide. The best place we can judge the overall mortality rate is China where they have had enough of a lull to see what it looks like when the dust settles and its about 3.7% there (Source: WHO, see my previous post). Also, you're monopolising the conversation, take a break please. Thanks.

Well not exactly. Everyone is saying different rates.
    UK’s chief medical officer, Chris Whitty, is one of those who believes it will prove to be 1% or lower.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/what-is-coronavirus-mortality-rate-covid-19
    The World Health Organization’s director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, talked of 3.4%, but his figure was calculated by dividing the number of deaths by the number of officially confirmed cases.
    Which is different to the way others do it.

Its 9% in Italy.

But on the positive side ....80-90 % of even those over 65 are recovering.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

The government and their advisors were always going to have to bring in a lockdown .
    It's all down to the timing of such .
    They had to get the hospitals ready for the surge in people requiring help.
    We will NEVER reach the numbers that Italy have got .
    (1) population of both countries are miles apart
    (2) northern Italy is heavily industrialised causing air pollution
    (3) Italy has far more older people
    (4) Italians are heavy smokers
    .... And far more importantly .... The DIFFERANCE in the 2 governments reaction time to the virus .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I wish we’d go into lockdown and soon!
    Schools are closed.
    Pubs are closed.
    Sports are closed.
    Event venues are closed.
    Places of worship are closed.
    Most retail/dining are closed.
    Large gatherings are banned.
    Physical distancing is being enforced as much as it can be.
    Half the workforce are working from home...

What further 'lock-down' measures do you want to see taken?

There's never going to be a full lock-down. People will have to be able to access food/medicine and for those to stay operational it means growers, processors, distributors must stay operational, which means public transport, petrol stations, banks must stay operational. And so on...

What you see today, and what you would see under lock-down, are not very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Scotty # wrote: »

What you see today, and what you would see under lock-down, are not very different.

People need to lock themselves down! That's what's gonna make the difference in the long run. Not picnics in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭mikeoc85

Well not exactly. Everyone is saying different rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/24/what-is-coronavirus-mortality-rate-covid-19

Which is different to the way others do it.

Its 9% in Italy.

But on the positive side ....80-90 % of even those over 65 are recovering.

Everywhere is only testing those with bad symptoms. So if this really is more contagious than the flu then in all likelihood the death rate is probably 0.2%-0.5%.

If this was a regular flu, within 1 month, in an area like northern Italy...you would have 2-3 million people exposed to it.

There are likely t be millions infected, the vast majority not showing any symptoms, then the 20-40% that do have symptoms, it is serious in 20% of those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

People screaming for a lockdown don't even know what they want. We are already in a state of lockdown. He'll close public places next and there isn't really much else, most retail has closed.

Do you really want armed checkpoints asking you where you are going? All production in the country totally shut down? Its totally unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

People need to lock themselves down! That's what's gonna make the difference in the long run. Not picnics in the park.

Those that have to work?

Scotty # wrote: »
    Schools are closed.
    Pubs are closed.
    Sports are closed.
    Event venues are closed.
    Places of worship are closed.
    Most retail/dining are closed.
    Large gatherings are banned.
    Physical distancing is being enforced as much as it can be.
    Half the workforce are working from home...

What further 'lock-down' measures do you want to see taken?

There's never going to be a full lock-down. People will have to be able to access food/medicine and for those to stay operational it means growers, processors, distributors must stay operational, which means public transport, petrol stations, banks must stay operational. And so on...

Explained it better than me. All Boris closed was non-essential retail, all my distributors in the UK are open for business today as normal.

Those that have to work?

The only people I know screaming for this don't even work or can work for home easily. Military style lockdown, the same people who protested the national police force breaking up water meter protests. Morons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

rob316 wrote: »
    Explained it better than me. All Boris closed was non-essential retail, all my distributors in the UK are open for business today as normal.
    My sister lives in Manchester and works in Finance. She got the tram into the city centre this morning and says there were no less on the tram today than there were yesterday.

I do see more measures being introduced. But they won't make a drastic difference to where we are right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

The Uk lockdown in reality is a fudge. The tubes are still full in london. In northern Ireland( which I would never bracket as part of the Uk anyway but that's for another day) there is little sign of any change. The B127 Derrylin to Ballyconnell has the same volume of traffic as any other day. They might be able to lockdown the cities and large towns but in rural Ireland it just won't be practical or indeed necessary. I see good compliance with the advice here already. People are doing what they have been told and that should give us an edge around here. Shops are supplying gloves and handwash for its customers, filling stations ditto. Only 2 customers in the pharmacy at a time, post office and bank the same. Floors marked at 2m intervals so there is no doubt where you should stand. I'm optimistic for this part of Ireland at least.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

the lockdown is coming like it or not, i would assume by this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

CaoinDory wrote: »
    No you are not!!! She is clearly one of these who thinks herself above the world. If she wont listen go to the landlord and complain. She could be risking other tenants.

Had a word there, she reckons the fwb is a boyfriend, I'm 90 per cent sure that's not the case and it seems he'll still be heading over again in the future.

Not sure what to do with this craic now

• Advertisement

Had a word there, she reckons the fwb is a boyfriend, I'm 90 per cent sure that's not the case and it seems he'll still be heading over again in the future.

Not sure what to do with this craic now

when the fella walks in say, oh you're not the same fella as last night

All they are going to do is close non essential retail which is nearly closed anyway so I'm not seen much difference. Factories, warehouses, supply chain will continue. Cork city centre is a ghost town

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

when the fella walks in say, oh you're not the same fella as last night

I'd rather keep my distance tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

already here, nothing else they can close round here. maybe stop people going to the beach thats about it.

already here, nothing else they can close round here. maybe stop people going to the beach thats about it.

well i'm still working admin in an office there's no need for that, public transport is operating that will stop, any other shop bar food will close, only essential jobs for food and medical will stay open imo and then any group over 2 people unless in the same family will be dispersed at best if outdoors

rob316 wrote: »
    All they are going to do is close non essential retail which is nearly closed anyway so I'm not seen much difference. Factories, warehouses, supply chain will continue. Cork city centre is a ghost town

look on the roads there is still people walking around, that'll be the big difference, look at the italians in their apartments, it will be near martial law

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Oh no you mis understand sorry that wasn't clear.

The 9% is italy. Its overly high.

The average death rate everywhere else is 2% some places its even lower.

Italy is the exception they have dealt with this terribly. Mostly through people not complying with any rules the govt lays down.

The death rate here is around 2 %.

Our death rate is meaningless now.

When the health service gets overstretched and they have to make decisions on who to save and who to let die that's when we get an Italian situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Our death rate is meaningless now.

When the health service gets overstretched and they have to make decisions on who to save and who to let die that's when we get an Italian situation.

I saw, on bbc last night, the Spanish are prioritising the young over the old when it comes to care. They have fewer resources than demand so they’re triaging. That‘a when the death toll will really mount up -not prioritising and treating the ones most likely to die

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I saw, on bbc last night, the Spanish are prioritising the young over the old when it comes to care. They have fewer resources than demand so they’re triaging. That‘a when the death toll will really mount up -not prioritising and treating the ones most likely to die

Its standard medical practice.

Upper respiratory tract infections among the elderly and seriously-infirm are the commonest acute cause of death in the world. Between 200k and 600k people die of the flu in the world every year.

So these issues aren't new issues. There has never been enough ventilators to save every life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

What data are you basing this request on?

I’m sure Dr. Hoolahan will let us know when the experts think a lockdown should start.

Dr. Hoolahan was not advocating blocking flights from Europe or China a month ago. Or at least if he was, it wasn't filtering through to the government.
    That was the optimum time we should have been stopping flights, and banning people going over to Cheltenham. We would have been in a much better position now if we did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement