Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Ireland is nowhere near lockdown now.

Places of business are closed yes but people are still free to walk around, public transportation is still in full flow

Hopefully we won't need even phase 1 of lockdown but the difference between O'Connell street now in terms of people walking around https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/ireland/leinster/dublin/dublin-o-connell-street.html and St Mark's square in Venice is stark and Italy isn't even in phase 2 as far as I am aware https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/venezia/piazza-san-marco.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

UrbanFret wrote: »
    In northern Ireland( which I would never bracket as part of the Uk anyway but that's for another day)

simple fact, the UK is made up of 4 countries. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

your opinion doesn't count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I'm told be a source that a Government Presser is on @ 4 to announce stricter measures across the country.

Makes sense to align with the North no matter how stubborn they were regarding the initial response.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

already here, nothing else they can close round here. maybe stop people going to the beach thats about it.

Why do you say "Nothing else" like its a fact????

I'm in work right now doing nothing but I have to come in.
    I am in a mickey mouse job in the financial industry. But I cannot work from home.
    I was on a bus today and now with people in an office.
    Surely this is non essential travel.

I am not a health care worker or providing anything for a supermarket.
    I am needed to ensure a small amount of money is still coming in.

Seve OB wrote: »
    simple fact, the UK is made up of 4 countries. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

your opinion doesn't count

Simple fact. Wales , England and Scotland aren't connected to the Republic Of Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Simple fact. Wales , England and Scotland aren't connected to the Republic Of Ireland.

whats your point?
    i never said they were

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

look on the roads there is still people walking around, that'll be the big difference, look at the italians in their apartments, it will be near martial law

If martial law is your wet dream, I'm afraid you are going to be terribly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

My first day working from home and that silly bitch next door has the powerhose going since ten this morning. It’s now 3:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

My first day working from home and that silly bitch next door has the powerhose going since ten this morning. It’s now 3:30.

Trust me it could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Scotty # wrote: »
    Schools are closed.
    Pubs are closed.
    Sports are closed.
    Event venues are closed.
    Places of worship are closed.
    Most retail/dining are closed.
    Large gatherings are banned.
    Physical distancing is being enforced as much as it can be.
    Half the workforce are working from home...

What further 'lock-down' measures do you want to see taken?
    People calling for a "full lock-down" are the same people who think passing a law automatically means stopping something.

They see bad behaviour (e.g. teens hanging around) and assuming passing a law will make it stop.

Of course it won't - we don't have enough police to enforce it, and do we really want armed police patrolling our streets and housing estates shooting people? Of course not.

We will not be able to do anything in this country with the buy-in of the population - this is not China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

This is around the spire now. FFS. :mad:

Spire.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

growleaves wrote: »
    Its standard medical practice.

Upper respiratory tract infections among the elderly and seriously-infirm are the commonest acute cause of death in the world. Between 200k and 600k people die of the flu in the world every year.

So these issues aren't new issues. There has never been enough ventilators to save every life.

In Italy it has gotten so bad they are not treating people over 60 in the worst areas. That is not anything normal or standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Scotty # wrote: »
    My sister lives in Manchester and works in Finance. She got the tram into the city centre this morning and says there were no less on the tram today than there were yesterday.

I do see more measures being introduced. But they won't make a drastic difference to where we are right now.

I was surprised to see that in the UK it's up to each business to decide whether they are "essential" or not.

While I know it would be difficult for the government to compile a list of all companies allowed to stay open, the self-selection is ripe for abuse. It was only public pressure that forced Sports Direct to close, I'd say there's 1000s of smaller businesses that have just stayed open anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

I'm told be a source that a Government Presser is on @ 4 to announce stricter measures across the country.

Makes sense to align with the North no matter how stubborn they were regarding the initial response.

A source? FFS, you are such a drama queen. Sean Moncrieff was saying it 40 minutes ago on his nationally broadcast radio show! Sigh:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In Italy it has gotten so bad they are not treating people over 60 in the worst areas. That is not anything normal or standard.

Yeah this isn’t anything like normal. Hospitals don’t routinely have this volume of patients with the same illness. It’s nothing like normal to simply not consider old people for treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Public transportation still in operation is baffling. In Hubei that was one of the first things they shut-down.

If trains and buses are to operate probably need to follow Czech Republic example and everyone needs to have something be it mask or scarf covering their mouth or a fine is issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

I didn't say that this particular situation was normal or standard.

However prioritising the young over the old is normal medical practice, and the elderly are less likely to recover after being put on a ventilator. These are just facts, I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about them or what to think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

If martial law is your wet dream, I'm afraid you are going to be terribly disappointed.

for a man who likes fishing, you sure have some dodgy bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

As long as it takes to prevent a convoy of army trucks carrying coffins away to be cremated as we saw in Italy.

Our Army doesn't have enough trucks to form a convoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Shocking, imagine her having the audacity without consulting you first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

growleaves wrote: »
    I didn't say that this particular situation was normal or standard.

However prioritising the young over the old is normal medical practice, and the elderly are less likely to recover after being put on a ventilator. These are just facts, I'm not trying to tell you how to feel about them or what to think.

Ah come off it. Are you seriously saying people over 60 in Italy are not normally considered for respirator treatment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

for a man who likes fishing, you sure have some dodgy bait.

I don't like fishing, I dislike BS even more .

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-new-measures-5055686-Mar2020/

Wow. I'll be honest it's Fine Gael wrote all over it. Keep businesses and IBEC happy.

To my mind regardless of their reasons we needed to follow the North and the UK. There is just to much travel between the two regions to make this workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Public transportation still in operation is baffling. In Hubei that was one of the first things they shut-down.
    Essential staff still need to get to work? Many don't have cars.

Any buses or LUAS I see are less than half empty, which looks reasonable. Hopefully they don't cut services, because space is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As long as it takes to prevent a convoy of army trucks carrying coffins away to be cremated as we saw in Italy.
    5 Years?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Wow. I'll be honest it's Fine Gael wrote all over it. Keep businesses and IBEC happy.

To my mind regardless of their reasons we needed to follow the North and the UK. There is just to much travel between the two regions to make this workable.

I'm confused its the same as the UK announced. You got your lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

It’s more or less the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just heard Leo on the radio introduce a bunch of half measures.
    Thousands will still go to construction sites, which are filthy at the best of times, mingle and mix and return tomorrow evening to contaminate their families. I simply cannot understand it and all the while the public are crying out for stricter measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Same in Spain. It's triage, you bet on who has the better chance of survival, so instead of losing 2 patients you may only lose 1. Throughly awful for the people making those decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just heard Leo on the radio introduce a bunch of half measures.
    Thousands will still go to construction sites, which are filthy at the best of times, mingle and mix and return tomorrow evening to contaminate their families. I simply cannot understand it and all the while the public are crying out for stricter measures.

It is based on evidence of experts not what the public want which is mob rule.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement