Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

mariaalice wrote: »
    It is based on evidence of experts not what the public want which is mob rule.

Are these the same experts who saw no problem allowing thousands of rugby fans come from the worst affected areas of Italy come and cram into crowded bars in Dublin. Seriously I am an admirer of the way all parties have come together on this but what Leo has announced just now is not firm enough IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Are these the same experts who saw no problem allowing thousands of rugby fans come from the worst affected areas of Italy come and cram into crowded bars in Dublin. Seriously I am an admirer of the way all parties have come together on this but what Leo has announced just now is not firm enough IMO.

I agree with you it's weak leadership, and honestly it will be full lock down when this gets ripped to shreds by the opposition

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what do you want exactly ????? thats not been done now ?
    how will it be enforced ?

i guess you're volunteering to be out with a baton beating people back into there houses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Seve OB wrote: »
    simple fact, the UK is made up of 4 countries. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

your opinion doesn't count

Nor does yours.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Nor does yours.:rolleyes:

what opinion did i air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Washout

i guess you're volunteering to be out with a baton beating people back into there houses

its exactly what they are doing in india.

Well for example if you shut down construction sites then not much enforcement is required. Seriously I'm an easy going guy usually but this is going to lead to people dying.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I agree with you it's weak leadership, and honestly it will be full lock down when this gets ripped to shreds by the opposition
    And what do you want from a full lock down and how do you want it enforced?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you not think they've already been told about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Seve OB wrote: »
    what opinion did i air?

The opinion that my opinion didn't matter. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

is_that_so wrote: »

All told yesterday according to Leo.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Savage_Henry

Ok , now, that they have announced non-essential retail outlets to close.
    How about mobile / computer repair shop - with loads of people working from home and also people relying on communication - should it stay open?

ixoy wrote: »
    And what do you want from a full lock down and how do you want it enforced?

Look at other countries it's not that hard, we have enough bodies in the army and gardai to spread out and manage the situation.
    I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to be redeployed too, including myself.

is_that_so wrote: »

It's politics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Ok , now, that they have announced non-essential retail outlets to close.
    How about mobile / computer repair shop - with loads of people working from home and also people relying on communication - should it stay open?

Great time for a collect/repair/deliver service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,993 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The baton must be more than 2m long though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Washout wrote: »
    its exactly what they are doing in india.

it's what they always do in india

There won't be fewer people making their way to work tomorrow morning than there was this morning as a result of what the Taoiseach has announced. if anything more confusion has been thrown into the mix.

Look at other countries it's not that hard, we have enough bodies in the army and gardai to spread out and manage the situation.
    I'm sure plenty of people would be willing to be redeployed too, including myself.
    Have they effectively policed/enforced it I wonder? Especially in a low-rise country like Ireland which makes it trickier. Do we really have enough bodies to do all this, bearing in mind that they're stretched already and, on top of that, there's going to be fewer since they'll be getting sick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 suzannewhelan

Any idea how civil servants are going to be dealt with in all this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

people want their handouts, you can't close the civil service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Im heading home now. Work remotley for the forseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭solidasarock

Most gov departments have been asked to prioritize their work, stop unessential work and temporarily reassigned any staff to departments that are getting hit hard. (Dept of Health, Social Welfare, Admin in hospitals)

Staff in County Councils seem to just be begging for days off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

UrbanFret wrote: »
    The opinion that my opinion didn't matter. ;)

nope.
    i just stated a fact... well 2 if you like
    it is actually a fact that your opinion cannot make a difference to a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 2 suzannewhelan

Most gov departments have been asked to prioritize their work, stop unessential work and temporarily reassigned any staff to departments that are getting hit hard. (Dept of Health, Social Welfare, Admin in hospitals)

Staff in County Councils seem to just be begging for days off.

If remote working is not available and childcare facilities and schools closed there are no options for civil servants in some departments for leave.

I’m hse admin in Dublin and I’m still working

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ixoy wrote: »
    Have they effectively policed/enforced it I wonder? Especially in a low-rise country like Ireland which makes it trickier. Do we really have enough bodies to do all this, bearing in mind that they're stretched already and, on top of that, there's going to be fewer since they'll be getting sick too.

I'm a bit confused by this. Surely low density should mean it's easier to stay apart?

I'm a bit confused by this. Surely low density should mean it's easier to stay apart?
    I mean trickier to police to ensure people are staying apart. I do think our lower density will help us a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Anyone have the list of non essential retailers? Work in an off license so not sure where we stand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Anyone have the list of non essential retailers? Work in an off license so not sure where we stand.

Essential for now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement