Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If we had a 3 week lockdown, everyone in the community who had it would get better without passing it on. Those bad enough to need hospitalisation would go there. Some would die some would get better. And that would be the end of it.

If we lockdown properly for 3 weeks why wouldn’t it be over?

Firstly, not everybody would be confined, so it would still spread.

Secondly, even if such a lockdown did leave the island free of the virus, the potential is there for it to go again as the vast majority of the population would still be vulnerable to it.

Hopefully though, what will happen is that, as you said, those that need hospital treatment would get it, the rest would get over it, and the asymptomatic carriers would get over it without ever knowing they have it.

It seems that right now, the key thing is to identify the positives and reduce their impact, and a lockdown/severely restricted movements will help with both.

I suspect many governments may eventually follow Trump's course of action.

This. It’s about using this time to prepare.

Hospitals will be geared up....more temporary beds created, private beds requisitioned, even new temporary hospitals built (the excel centre in the UK is being turned into a 4000 bed coronavirus ward). And then, when we are ready, I think restrictions will be eased and nature will be let take its course. A vaccine won’t be ready until 2021 most likely, and we cannot remain in ‘lockdown’ (whatever that looks like in different countries) until that time. The fallout will be too great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Isolate them for two weeks. Just as they should have done the same for anyone coming from a high risk area.

It's what China is doing now. When you arrive in China, you're quarantined for two weeks in a hotel (which you pay for). Three meals a day, visits by a doctor twice a day for tests.

Hindsight has 20/20 vision. China has only recently brought these measures in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If we had a 3 week lockdown, everyone in the community who had it would get better without passing it on. Those bad enough to need hospitalisation would go there. Some would die some would get better. And that would be the end of it.

Everyone with it will deffo infect their families.
    The essential workers could still get infected
    The medical workers will deffo still get infected.

In 5 weeks it may dissipate.
    Then you let all out?
    Or keep in another 3 weeks?
    At 8 weeks lockdown.

Then what? close the border with ni/UK totally?
    Close the ports?
    This will still be in Europe and probably the UK.

We'll be in another lockdown within a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Could one go for a drive during the shutdown?

Simply going for a drive and back again can't do any harm can it? Or will I be stopped by the guards and questioned on the validity of my journey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Or will I be stopped by the guards and questioned on the validity of my journey?
    No, the measures don't include anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Didn't Leo say it's not a total lockdown? Surely I can do my walk along the back road behind my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Everyone with it will deffo infect their families.
    The essential workers could still get infected
    The medical workers will deffo still get infected.

In 5 weeks it may dissipate.
    Then you let all out?
    Or keep in another 3 weeks?
    At 8 weeks lockdown.

Then what? close the border with ni/UK totally?
    Close the ports?
    This will still be in Europe and probably the UK.

We'll be in another lockdown within a month

This is something I had feared from day 1 and I'm seeing more and more confirm it

There is a lot out there who genuinely believe a few weeks lockdown will completely stop the virus, that's it done and dusted and we go back to normal

I'm actually speechless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

They might listen to Conor.

aido79 wrote: »
    Hindsight has 20/20 vision. China has only recently brought these measures in.

Kinda. There was the expectation of self isolation in your apartment/home. Then your activity entering/leaving would be monitored by local security. A mate of mine returned to China three weeks ago. Did his self-isolation, was checked whenever he entered or left his apartment block, and needed a signed document explaining where he was going. That system had been in place since Wuhan exploded. Relied on people to self-isolate but so many people broke isolation, that they found they needed something more reliable.

The isolating in hotels is a new thing. Roughly ten days old I think.

As for hindsight... I came back to Ireland in late January.. and we've known the effects/dangers of the virus for quite some time. It's not about hindsight... it's about not doing it... knowing the risks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Didn't Leo say it's not a total lockdown? Surely I can do my walk along the back road behind my house.

Yes you can.

However because so many brit papers sell here and brit TV, some people can't distinguish between the two countries and listen to sky or read the daily muck thinking it means Ireland.

Due to reasonable adherence to directions so far, the new restrictions are not as bad as the uk. And thankfully the death rate here is very small compared to the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Then someone pops over from Spain and the US, and we start again, as the virus is still viral.

All that this is about is flattening the curve, not setting the R0 to 0, which is impossible to maintain. It's out there now.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Jaysus

He's wrong because we don't need a full lockdown. It's a useful contribution all the same, as a lot of McGreggor supporters would have been fairly relaxed until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,913 ✭✭✭✭josip

My understanding from today's announcement is that it's still ok for me to go kick football on the green with my son.
    There's never anyone else there when we're out and it's opposite our house so we won't be bumping into anyone on a footpath.
    Thoughts/opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

Would i be right in sayin that a full lockdown would mean the erection of a border with northern ireland which the uk would never take down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

RoryMac wrote: »
    Jaysus

Not a huge fan but McGregor actually makes his points well! Don't agree on the total lockdown with army on streets etc but fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

josip wrote: »
    My understanding from today's announcement is that it's still ok for me to go kick football on the green with my son.
    There's never anyone else there when we're out and it's opposite our house so we won't be bumping into anyone on a footpath.
    Thoughts/opinions?
    It's ok for members of the same household to be out together. The problem with you and son out kicking ball on the green is that it's a magnet to other boys to kick ball with you. Better for you and your son to play in your backyard if you can or go for a walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Would i be right in sayin that a full lockdown would mean the erection of a border with northern ireland which the uk would never take down

No you wouldn't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

face.jpg

UFC 169 McGregor Vs Coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Theres something not right about listening to Donald Trump & Conor McGregor give directions about what people, or a country should do - I seem to get the feeling they both have their own agendas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

They wouldn't need to, the local inhabitants would long since have taken it down.

We live on an island, we need checks at the ports, not between neighbouring townlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I'm against a full lockdown, want to see us adopt a South Korea style liveable world, but want to see us enforce current legislation/advice - I walk most days/nights and a general obsevation , most people are fine , but ther are gangs of youths , late teens / 20 s , nearly all male congregating in groups , smoking weed and basically ruining it for everyone else who are trying to do ther best - Walking and the outdoors is good for the lungs and immune system , really like to see these groups targetted , and shown up for ther pathetic selfish behaviour - maybe if they realise they will effect ther grand-parents mortality they may try and be more considerate , and not force a lockdown on the rest of us who are trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

It's easy call for a full lockdown when you're a multi millionaire with a home gym, pool, cleaners, butler...all behind a nice big gate. The rest of us have to get up in the morning and go to work to keep the lights on.

Also a full lockdown will do very very little, the horse has bolted already.

begbysback wrote: »
    Theres something not right about listening to Donald Trump & Conor McGregor give directions about what people, or a country should do - I seem to get the feeling they both have their own agendas.

I mean I don't like Trump at all but.....isn't that his job?

It's easy call for a full lockdown when you're a multi millionaire with a home gym, pool, cleaners, butler...all behind a nice big gate. The rest of us have to get up in the morning and go to work to keep the lights on.

Also a full lockdown will do very very little, the horse has bolted already.

No the horse hasn't bolted. We are nowhere near herd immunity. I agree that a full lockdown isn't necessary, but if the horse had bolted it woiuld be pointless doing anything.

This is something I had feared from day 1 and I'm seeing more and more confirm it

There is a lot out there who genuinely believe a few weeks lockdown will completely stop the virus, that's it done and dusted and we go back to normal

I'm actually speechless

No the idea is to flatten the curve, that's all anybody has ever said. As more people are cured or survive we can go back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

FVP3 wrote: »
    I mean I don't like Trump at all but.....isn't that his job?

Well he applied for the job, they gave it to him, and he carries it out as best he can.

Like I said, just doesnt seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭Heckler

Would the likes of Dell/EMC be considered an essential service ? I wouldn't have thought so. Friend works there and while he gets all the usual management talks about social distancing etc he said it's pretty much impossible to maintain during the working day. Other similar places of work must surely be the same.

Construction work especially where many many tasks would require 2 or more people working alongside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Heckler wrote: »
    Would the likes of Dell/EMC be considered an essential service ? I wouldn't have thought so. Friend works there and while he gets all the usual management talks about social distancing etc he said it's pretty much impossible to maintain during the working day. Other similar places of work must surely be the same.

Construction work especially where many many tasks would require 2 or more people working alongside.

Might not be considered essential but the advice today was mainly around retail workplaces and restaurants, theatres etc.

Normal workplaces can stay open

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement