Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭v10

They might listen to Conor.

Oh fcuk off, like any serious person would listen to this clown. I couldn’t even watch the whole video.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

RoryMac wrote: »
    Might not be considered essential but the advice today was mainly around retail workplaces and restaurants, theatres etc.

Normal workplaces can stay open

This worries me. I was working out in the warehouse part of my factory today, zero hand sanitizer, zero distance in their canteen between people, it's a hand scanner of a clock in machine, never cleaned, lads going around coughing and sneeezing, working closely with lads all day... the only thing that was different from a few months ago is the front door was locked, everything else was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

This worries me. I was working out in the warehouse part of my factory today, zero hand sanitizer, zero distance in their canteen between people, it's a hand scanner of a clock in machine, never cleaned, lads going around coughing and sneeezing, working closely with lads all day... the only thing that was different from a few months ago is the front door was locked, everything else was the same.

That is pretty sh1t, they really should look to bring in some way of reporting businesses that aren't following the guidelines but I guess that would take up a lot of manpower to investigate and enforce.

That is pretty sh1t, they really should look to bring in some way of reporting businesses that aren't following the guidelines but I guess that would take up a lot of manpower to investigate and enforce.

The bigger multinationals have this covered, the likes of the place I was in today was a disgrace. Nobody knows the front door is locked either so you watch 70/80 people a day walk up, put their hand on the handle, realise it's closed and walk off. Congratulations, you just shook hands with 80 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

As of tomorrow can you alert the Gardai ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

growleaves wrote: »
    Its standard medical practice.

Upper respiratory tract infections among the elderly and seriously-infirm are the commonest acute cause of death in the world. Between 200k and 600k people die of the flu in the world every year.

So these issues aren't new issues. There has never been enough ventilators to save every life.

The flu, FFS.

It is not standard medical practice. It is also not standard medical practice to set a cut off point for non treatment of patients. It only becomes necessary when your system has such a meltdown that you are fighting a war of numbers, requiring war like emergency decisions.

The difference here is that IF that point is reached, like in Italy, Spain and countless others already, a policy decision is made to not treat people over a certain age (its been 60 in Italy) because there are not enough ventilators, medically qualified staff, or both. Such is the demand for ventilators from others including many younger, who are all in ICU with the same respiratory failure state, bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

Those people you are talking about are not treated by hospitals in the same manner as if they have the fúcking flu. Many will have died an awful death, alone, sometimes in a field hospital, surrounded by people in hazmat suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

:pac: He seemed gassed at the end of that

Diairist wrote: »
    As of tomorrow can you alert the Gardai ?

It's the same everywhere the general public can't see. Same thing last week in a different factory, reception and offices with signs up everywhere reminding people of social distancing, hand sanitizer provided, X amount of people allowed in certain areas.... go out the back then and you've 30/40 lads working as normal with NONE of that, it seems like there's rule for the admin staff and another for the lads in the trenches, a lot of companies implementing the govt ideas just to be seen to do so.

Complete waste of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.
    Out of two choices, would you prefer to risk this virus becoming rampant like in Italy, or would you like non violent ways of reducing its spread being brought in temporarily, which mean boredom for sure but don't actually breach your civil liberties?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

the pandemic payment is higher than my usual monthly wage... wtf... if they had this much spare money why didn't they solve the homeless crisis.. would it not make more sense to keep the pandemic payment low, or just raise it to 250, but freeze mortages and ask landlords to pause rent

anyway the decision was made by people much smarter than me so i'll shut up... i know i shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, i better save this because it can't last.

Half a million not able to meet payments in one go with another half million to follow in the next month , there'd be no money in circulation, look at what happened today as an overdraft facility, giving people money now which they'll pay back over the next few years, if it only last 12 weeks that's about 2 average weeks wages extra tax a year, people will accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

People don't seem to understand.

The difference between this and the flu is when you get the flu you need bed straight away and less chance of you transmitting it.

With covid 19 people the symptoms sometimes go unnoticed.

That's why it's spreading so easy and we need these measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It's the same everywhere the general public can't see. Same thing last week in a different factory, reception and offices with signs up everywhere reminding people of social distancing, hand sanitizer provided, X amount of people allowed in certain areas.... go out the back then and you've 30/40 lads working as normal with NONE of that, it seems like there's rule for the admin staff and another for the lads in the trenches, a lot of companies implementing the govt ideas just to be seen to do so.

Complete waste of time.

Big issue seems to be hand washing and sanitiser, we are realising that a lot of people don't wash their hands, even after the toilet and are reluctant to start.. Dirty bstards refuse to be taught

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

v10 wrote: »
    Oh fcuk off, like any serious person would listen to this clown. I couldn’t even watch the whole video.

Plenty of a certain age group do listen to him. If even a handful of them take notice of him it must surely be a good thing.

v10 wrote: »

Most serious people know how important social distancing is. This is not for that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Heckler wrote: »
    Would the likes of Dell/EMC be considered an essential service ? I wouldn't have thought so. Friend works there and while he gets all the usual management talks about social distancing etc he said it's pretty much impossible to maintain during the working day. Other similar places of work must surely be the same.

Construction work especially where many many tasks would require 2 or more people working alongside.

The same 2 people working in a team each day would not be too risky, especially if they respected each other. It is different combinations of people that is a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes agreed, The manpower wouldn’t be there. Whoever investigating would be putting themselves directly in harms way. The Gardai can’t do it I wouldn’t think, not the resources... the army ? I wouldn’t be against it although people would be pîssing and moaning it’s heavy handed but with desperate times with the health and wellbeing of the country and it’s citizens at stake I would rather noses put out of joint ahead of people being put into hospital and funeral homes.

It really has just disintegrated into a terrible greedy, selfish kip of a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The same 2 people working in a team each day would not be too risky, especially if they respected each other. It is different combinations of people that is a real problem.

What companies could be doing is utilizing space better, a bit of legwork for IT but if there is a team of six people in a small office, poor ventilation, poor spacing... relocate them to the meeting room... any meetings just occur in regular workspace, every little helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You can report that to the HSA. It's now seen as a breach of health and safety in the workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How do you maintain social distancing on a production line?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are builder's providers allowed to stay open?

Of course. Pretty much every workplace( bar the obvious ones, pubs, gyms etc) will continue as normal.There must be 100+ factories in the Shannon free zone , I'm not aware of any of them closing as a result of what was announced yesterday. I do understand that a COMPLETE shutdown is a difficult decision to make but if it is being avoided because of the damage it would do to the economy then they should say that and not be hiding behind expert advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

How do you maintain social distancing on a production line?

Stand 2 metres apart. Or put a screen between each operator.

Or change production pattern so there are less people there at the same time.

And it should worry you. There are thousands of these kips, including construction sites, up and down the country and life is going on as normal.
    As things stand pretty much every business will make a case for being an 'essential' business and anyway there will be zero enforcement. The bottom line is(and I can understand it) that the necessary shutdown is not being implemented because of economic reasons. Hiding behind 'expert' health advice is no longer cutting ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shelly66

And it should worry you. There are thousands of these kips, including construction sites, up and down the country and life is going on as normal.
    As things stand pretty much every business will make a case for being an 'essential' business and anyway there will be zero enforcement. The bottom line is(and I can understand it) that the necessary shutdown is not being implemented because of economic reasons. Hiding behind 'expert' health advice is no longer cutting ice.

A lot of construction workers in our locality sitting on local park bench at lunchtime. There is no social distancing at construction sites either

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Lol. A message about how we have to stay home - set in front of a green screen image of a gym.

Well, he has the right idea in principle so fair enough. His Conor McGregor character’s oration style is stupid when you consider the topic. But he’s more good than harm in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

easypazz wrote: »
    Stand 2 metres apart. Or put a screen between each operator.

Or change production pattern so there are less people there at the same time.
    That wouldn't really work though, not on any production lines I've seen anyway, at least not without significantly impacting productivity. I know places that lost contracts because they weren't reaching their targets, and this was before the pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Of course. Pretty much every workplace( bar the obvious ones, pubs, gyms etc) will continue as normal.There must be 100+ factories in the Shannon free zone , I'm not aware of any of them closing as a result of what was announced yesterday. I do understand that a COMPLETE shutdown is a difficult decision to make but if it is being avoided because of the damage it would do to the economy then they should say that and not be hiding behind expert advice.

Ye this. Its ok to risk your health for the economy and the company but after you do your shift lock yourself up in the house.

Mixed messages and that. This is in no way a lockdown. What Leo did yesterday was advise people not compell them or order them to take actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Shelly66 wrote: »
    A lot of construction workers in our locality sitting on local park bench at lunchtime. There is no social distancing at construction sites either

The CIF are to powerful a lobby for the govt to shutdown.

Scotty # wrote: »

Or we could follow Donald Trumps example and just let nature take it's course! (that's not actually a suggestion!)

Weird and unreal as this virus is it is actually as weird and scary that this person( I have to be careful how I describe him as I have been previously banned for how I described him) is President of the USA. The fact that he has a huge input into how the virus is being handled is frightening.

The CIF are to powerful a lobby for the govt to shutdown.

Exactly. If Fianna fail were in power and had failed to close these kips there would be uproar and shouts about the Galway tent.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

i'm so sick of hearing "stay safe " from strangers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement