Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The CIF are to powerful a lobby for the govt to shutdown.
    I would say not as powerful has the horse racing/betting industry and they've shut that down?

I supply hand wash equipment. I've had several of the big construction companies on over the last week. They are working on a solution. But it's like everything else... you can lead a horse to water, but....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

And it should worry you. There are thousands of these kips, including construction sites, up and down the country and life is going on as normal.
    As things stand pretty much every business will make a case for being an 'essential' business and anyway there will be zero enforcement. The bottom line is(and I can understand it) that the necessary shutdown is not being implemented because of economic reasons. Hiding behind 'expert' health advice is no longer cutting ice.

What is the "necessary shutdown"? Even with a full on shutdown you would still have many thousands of workers still out and working, all potential spreaders. The shutdown would need to last for months and even after that there is still the chance of another flair up with someone from the North or elsewhere. It would put hundreds of thousands of additional people out of work for limited impact.

The virus isn't just going to disappear in a short period no matter how severe a shutdown. There will still be people out working and everyone else will still have to go shopping. A full shutdown wouldhave to last for an extended period to achieve what it is intended to, the result being it becomes semi-permanent because so many jobs no longer exist after months of total stagnation.

The restrictions are about slowing the spread, that's all we can do. We will still need to maintain some economic activities and the state can't pay the entire workforce to sit at home for an extended period. The rate of spread has been manageable so far, there is no need to put hundreds of thousands out of work if it continues to be manageable. Again, no shutdown no matter how severe will make the virus disappear in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Between this thread, and a lot of other **** I've seen floating around, I really think some people would benefit greatly from stepping away from the internet for a while.

Not even trying to be funny or smarmy in any way. This is a lot of people losing their minds over the new reality that we are not completely in control. Wash your hands, avoid close contact with others. That's about all we can do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I am absolutely 100% in agreement with this.It would be by far the best thing that many people could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Between this thread, and a lot of other **** I've seen floating around, I really think some people would benefit greatly from stepping away from the internet for a while.

Not even trying to be funny or smarmy in any way. This is a lot of people losing their minds over the new reality that we are not completely in control. Wash your hands, avoid close contact with others. That's about all we can do.

Do you reckon the thousands of workers that went onto building sites this morning are 'avoiding close contact with others'

If you could answer that before saying 'that's about all we can do and step away from the internet that might be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

i'm so sick of hearing "stay safe " from strangers.

Stay safe was the name of a program in the 90s that taught millennials how to tell pedophiles to **** off. I think it actually saved my life, I'm very fond of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Do you reckon the thousands of workers that went onto building sites this morning are 'avoiding close contact with others'

If you could answer that before saying 'that's about all we can do and step away from the internet that might be helpful.

Neither you or the person you are asking can answer your question.

Neither you or the person you are asking can answer your question.

Serious question, have you been on any construction sites recently?

Serious question, have you been on any construction sites recently?

A few but not all of them good hygiene practice on display on most of what I seen but not all. So it would be presumptuous of me to pass comment on places I have no knowledge of. You, have you been on every building site in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

I haven't been on any construction sites but I believe a lot of subbies went back to their home countries recently.

• Advertisement

A few but not all of them good hygiene practice on display on most of what I seen but not all. So it would be presumptuous of me to pass comment on places I have no knowledge of. You, have you been on every building site in the country.

Obviously not but my line of work brings me to several every week.
    You say that you have seen 'good hygiene practice on display on most of what I seen' !
    I take it that you are either having a laugh or you got no nearer than the front fence. You may disagree with me and are perfectly entitled to do so but to me it's almost as if the government said 'let's think of the filthiest workplaces where workers are operating up on top of one another and we will keep them open and close other workplaces. If you don't believe me or think I am scaremongering just ask a construction worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Totally disagree with this!

It would be a bit like telling people back in 1918, to ignore the Spanish Flu and crack on with the rest of your life like nothing serious was going on! (if they had the internet obviously).

"Nothing to see here boys, move along now... move along!" :pac:

It's completely natural to be obsessed with this... it's a feckin global pandemic ffs... it poses a huge threat to human life. Nobody - even the experts - really know if or how we'll get out of this mess! And you think people should just turn off their computers, forget about it and go do something else! lol

Seriously, I think some people live in their own little bubble in this life... and even a global pandemic is just a bit of a mild annoyance to be endured for a while, until they can go back to whatever pointless sh!t they were doing beforehand! :P

And the gas thing is, you guys think that YOU are the normal and sane ones... and those who are obsessed with this crisis are the odd ones! :rolleyes:

Being obsessed doesn't help, doing everything you can helps, but thinking about it and reading about it doesn't help. How often are you reading the same facts or repeating the same facts? Even the doctors don't look at the numbers increase every day, you can't see the pattern by watching it every day, just look at it once a week.

Ever hear the phrase "don't talk about the war"? There's a reason for that. How many days are you losing on this when you could be learning to play ukulele

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.

Bir' of a Me-Feiner, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

It would be a bit like telling people back in 1918, to ignore the Spanish Flu and crack on with the rest of your life like nothing serious was going on! (if they had the internet obviously).

It's completely natural to be obsessed with this... it's a feckin global pandemic ffs... it poses a huge threat to human life. Nobody - even the experts - really know if or how we'll get out of this mess! And you think people should just turn off their computers, forget about it and go do something else! lol

Seriously, I think some people live in their own little bubble in this life... and even a global pandemic is just a bit of a mild annoyance to be endured for a while, until they can go back to whatever pointless sh!t they were doing beforehand! :P

And the gas thing is, you guys think that YOU are the normal and sane ones... and those who are obsessed with this crisis are the odd ones! :rolleyes:

Its not natural to be obsessed with anything. Follow the guidelines and lead your life.

T

So living, working, saving, spending time with family and friends.. that's all pointless sh*t... but posting on a forum and reading lots of repetitive news stories that is... finish the sentence

Obviously not but my line of work brings me to several every week.
    You say that you have seen 'good hygiene practice on display on most of what I seen' !
    I take it that you are either having a laugh or you got no nearer than the front fence. You may disagree with me and are perfectly entitled to do so but to me it's almost as if the government said 'let's think of the filthiest workplaces where workers are operating up on top of one another and we will keep them open and close other workplaces. If you don't believe me or think I am scaremongering just ask a construction worker.

I don't need to disagree with you your word is as valid as mine on an anonymous internet site. I suspect the only answer you would accept is 'they're all infection infested kips' sorry to disappoint.
    Genuinely curious what is your definition of lockdown, I don't believe I have seen it from you. Please be precise.

Being obsessed doesn't help, doing everything you can helps, but thinking about it and reading about it doesn't help. How often are you reading the same facts or repeating the same facts? Even the doctors don't look at the numbers increase every day, you can't see the pattern by watching it every day, just look at it once a week.

You look at it once a week, if that's what you want... bye bye see you next week sometime! :p

Like I said, it's a global pandemic... it's one of the biggest things any of us will ever live through in our lifespan. (And that's IF we manage to live through it - which some of us may not!)

If you want to go do something else, and ignore all the unfolding details of this pandemic... knock yourself out. Nobody is saying you can't. But that doesn't make you one of the "normal" or "sane" ones...

It's completely normal to be obsessed with all the details of such a huge global event.

Most people who attempt to ignore something this big and distract themselves from it, are usually doing so as a coping mechanism! It's your crutch basically, that you need to get through this ordeal mentally... ;)

Take a deep breath and explain what your rant will achieve other than winding yourself up.
    As for odd ones, yours is the only post I have seen make this claim.
    Not everyone freaks out over things that they cannot stop, they know they may help slow the process but also know ranting and raving achieves FA.

I don't need to disagree with you your word is as valid as mine on an anonymous internet site. I suspect the only answer you would accept is 'they're all infection infested kips' sorry to disappoint.
    Genuinely curious what is your definition of lockdown, I don't believe I have seen it from you. Please be precise.

Kind of reluctant to turn this into a 'mine is bigger than yours' competition with you but a lockdown would mean ALL workplaces with the obvious exceptions , emergency services etc ( not Ali's carpet shop across from me which is doing a brisk trade as we speak) closing for 3 weeks! Of course it will hurt and you can fault this proposal all you wish but by jesus it will put a bigger dent in the problem than what is happening right now.

• Advertisement

Take a deep breath and explain what your rant will achieve other than winding yourself up.
    As for odd ones, yours is the only post I have seen make this claim.
    Not everyone freaks out over things that they cannot stop, they know they may help slow the process but also know ranting and raving achieves FA.

Firstly, what rant are you referring to? I was very calm and relaxed when I wrote that... just like I am now. :)

And who is freaking out? Just because someone is following this huge event play-by-play... that doesn't automatically mean they are losing their sh!t or freaking out.

In fact I feel way more calm and in control of this situation, the more I read and the better informed I am on every aspect of what's going on... I don't need to distract myself and ignore what's going on... I don't need that coping mechanism, like some of you guys obviously do!

But good luck to you guys, each to their own... whatever you gotta do to get yourself through this! :)

Kind of reluctant to turn this into a 'mine is bigger than yours' competition with you but a lockdown would mean ALL workplaces with the obvious exceptions , emergency services etc ( not Ali's carpet shop across from me which is doing a brisk trade as we speak) closing for 3 weeks! Of course it will hurt and you can fault this proposal all you wish but by jesus it will put a bigger dent in the problem than what is happening right now.

So after 3 weeks everywhere opens again and it's rinse and repeat.
    Plenty of businesses involved in the supply of medical equipment others involved in the supply of materials to suppliers to the medical equipment producers. For example Medtronic in Galway is hiring 300 people to run 24/7 to produce ventilators they need to be supplied various components.

Firstly, what rant are you referring to? I was very calm and relaxed when I wrote that... just like I am now. :)

And who is freaking out? Just because someone is following this huge event play-by-play... that doesn't automatically mean they are losing their sh!t or freaking out.

In fact I feel way more calm and in control of this situation, the more I read and the better informed I am on every aspect of what's going on... I don't need to distract myself and ignore what's going on... I don't need that coping mechanism, like some of you guys obviously do!

But good luck to you guys, each to their own... whatever you gotta do to get yourself through this! :)

It reads like a rant to me , the poster you directed your comment to offered sage advice. It was not a head in the sand suggestion just some advice to step back every so often. If you don't want hey knock yourself out but it doesn't justify you accusing anyone of being odd because they refuse to view what is going on in the same manner as you do. Just saying.

So after 3 weeks everywhere opens again and it's rinse and repeat.
    Plenty of businesses involved in the supply of medical equipment others involved in the supply of materials to suppliers to the medical equipment producers. For example Medtronic in Galway is hiring 300 people to run 24/7 to produce ventilators they need to be supplied various components.

Well if you need to have every company like the one you mentioned listed for you in order for you to understand what a lockdown means then it might be best to accept that we might be best leaving it there.

Well if you need to have every company like the one you mentioned listed for you in order for you to understand what a lockdown means then it might be best to accept that we might be best leaving it there.

You should leave it there because what you are asking for won't happen, there are many businesses that we need to remain open . I'm sure the carpet company is practising good physical distance and hand hygiene if not you can always relay your concern to the HSA.

It reads like a rant to me , the poster you directed your comment to offered sage advice. It was not a head in the sand suggestion just some advice to step back every so often. If you don't want hey knock yourself out but it doesn't justify you accusing anyone of being odd because they refuse to view what is going on in the same manner as you do. Just saying.

Well, you need to improve your comprehension skills then... you're way off if you think that was a rant! ;)

It may be sage advice for them, as they may not be able to handle too much information... they may need to take that advice for themselves. Other people perhaps have a much stronger constitution for this kind of thing! Some of us do not require coping mechanisms...

It is odd.. that's my opinion. Anyone who can put their feet up and drink a beer in the back garden, and attempt to ignore what's unfolding around them... when it's something this huge... is a bit odd in my book. And I am entitled to hold that opinion!

But the same assumption is being made about people who are reading everything 24/7 on this pandemic... so perhaps you should apply that recommendation both ways, and stop criticising anyone who wants to stay connected to this thing on a daily basis!

Well, you need to improve your comprehension skills then... you're way off if you think that was a rant! ;)

It may be sage advice for them, as they may not be able to handle too much information... they may need to take that advice for themselves. Other people perhaps have a much stronger constitution for this kind of thing! Some of us do not require coping mechanisms...

It is odd.. that's my opinion. Anyone who can put their feet up and drink a beer in the back garden, and attempt to ignore what's unfolding around them... when it's something this huge... is a bit odd in my book. And I am entitled to hold that opinion!

But the same assumption is being made about people who are reading everything 24/7 on this pandemic... so perhaps you should apply that recommendation both ways, and stop criticising anyone who wants to stay connected to this thing on a daily basis!

You suggest I improve my comprehension skills and suggest I'm criticising others, why the need to make up stuff that didn't happen?
    It was good advice the poster offered, but like all advice you are not required to accept it. I'm sure you can understand because based on how you respond I can see where this is going therefore I have no interest in responding any further to you.

coping skills are not odd

I would bet that you are like me and your normal way of coping with things is intelectualizaiton, learning about them, studying them, trying to understand them, explaining them to others

but right now that is not very healthy for our mental health, you can still keep that coping mechanism but use it on something else. Research something else if you like, heck, research epidemiology if you like! But reading all these news reports does nothing to help you on any level, it doesn't keep you safe, it's not good for your mental health, your physical health, and it doesn't teach you anything because the news media is very superficial. You'll come out of all of this after 12 weeks of isolation and you won't know any more than the person who only watched the news and read a WHO report once a day, but they'll have learned the ukulele and they won't have given themselves the trotts with anxiety

https://openlibrary.org/search?q=epidemiology&mode=ebooks&has_fulltext=true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Construction sites are no worse than postal sort offices, courier depots, dairy processors, PPE manufacturers... etc, etc, etc. In some environments physical distancing is just not possible.

BUT, the goal is not about stopping the spread completely. It's about s l o w i n g it down enough so that the health service is not overwhelmed. If, in a few weeks we don't see an adequate slow down then I'm sure stricter measures will be introduced. It's all about finding the sweet spot where just enough of the economy stays open and the spread is just slow enough as to not overwhelm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

Typical sense of entitlement.
    The problem is your decisions can have very undesirable consequences for others.

Being perfectly honest I couldn't give two sh**s if you or your loved ones are croaking gasping for breath because of your actions.

But I do give a sh** when it could be my wife having to put herself and our family at risk to give you medical care because of your actions.

And I do give a sh** when your actions result in you taking up a vent or respirator that someone I do care about might need it.

I am not allowed discuss …

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement