Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.

Not even if it could save your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I for one, do not want my civil liberties removed.

"Your" civil liberties come second to public health interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Luimneach2018

Unfortunately too many people care only about their civic rights/liberties and couldn't give a damn about their civic duty/responsibilities.

Ironically these are the very people who will be directly responsible for the inevitable further restrictions.
    Woke Hogan wrote: »
    This is an attitude that will get people killed.

You can take that further, it is an attitude that has already gotten countless people killed in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Announce a lockdown and long unruly queues will form outside supermarkets. Even if supermarkets are exempt people will still panic and they will be jammed as a result.

Then watch numbers of infected skyrocket.

chicorytip wrote: »
    A complete lockdown will only be effective if there are sufficient police and military personnel available to enforce it which we don't have and, secondly, if the entire population is willing to comply with the restrictions involved. Many of us are unwilling in that regard, clearly.
    So, I think it would be an impractical to introduce and too difficult to implement. The Italian situation tells us that.

No it doesn't. It proves that it was too late. The PM advised people to go out as normal, then changed their minds as numbered multiplied, hemmed and hawed about it, then locked it down when people were taking the píss and not taking it seriously.
    Announce a lockdown and long unruly queues will form outside supermarkets. Even if supermarkets are exempt people will still panic and they will be jammed as a result.

Then watch numbers of infected skyrocket.

This is already happening. Shopping centres have responsibilities as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

are you serious?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Marathon. Not a sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The exprts have said that social distancing is working but that further measures (ie lockdown) may be taken when the time is right...is the right time not right now?

Surely an earlier rather than later lockdown is better for suppressing transmission.

If there was a lockdown for 2 weeks, those with the virus will develop symptoms at home and can be treated, along with those they are in lockdown with, but will have passed it on to far fewer people than otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

37 posts and one name, not up to us to be trying to force these agendas, the people with alot more information should be left to make the right decision without being pressurised

shesty wrote: »
    Marathon. Not a sprint.

Sorry the race is well under way.

The race to not have our health system meltdown like Italy's which was infinitely more better, a few weeks ago, than ours until it was overwhelmed.

We are two weeks away from a meltdown. Two weeks.
    37 posts and one name, not up to us to be trying to force these agendas, the people with alot more information should be left to make the right decision without being pressurised

The only people with agendas from day one were the self serving businesses and lobby groups who put public health second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

STB. wrote: »

Maybe where you live it is but not where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    In this proposed shutdown that you have obviously so carefully planned and not just decided carelessly is needed..
    Where will ireland get its supply from that we cannot source within our land?

You do understand that a shutdown/lockdown does not apply to essential health/food/emergency services right?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Since you never know till 2 weeks later if you have taken enough steps or not, it seems to me it's best to err on the side of caution, right? Because by the time we know whether or not schools / pubs / events cancelled is enough, it will be too late to go back and do more. I hope every company whose employees can work from home is doing the responsible thing and making them work from home or sending them home until that can be set up.

But really we should do a total shut down. If we overshoot the mark we can reopen things in 2 weeks, and it will really force businesses to figure out this work-from-home thing NOW rather than later. I think some will put it off till they have to.

blank.png
    (data from gov.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,950 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree
    Should have happened a month ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

STB. wrote: »
    No it doesn't. It proves that it was too late. The PM advised people to go out as normal, then changed their minds as numbered multiplied, hemmed and hawed about it, then locked it down when people were taking the píss and not taking it seriously.

Italy has a population of fifty million so it must be difficult for the authorities to rigidly enforce compliance across the board. It's a hopeless task really even in a small country like ours. The number of new cases of infection in Italy has not dropped significantly as a result of lockdown measures being introduced.

Maybe where you live it is but not where I am.

I am in Wexford.

Shopping centre car parks full over weekend. McDonald's queues all over the shop.

I have seen the pictures of Wicklow, Waterford, Dublin etc over the weeknd with people seriously taking the píss.

The inconvenience of staying in all too much sadly. Sounds a lot like what was happening in Italy not 2 weeks ago. The Doctor's coming out openly about the hard decisions they were making about who lives and dies and the scale of the problem to people who refused to take social distancing seriously.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/10/italian-doctor-at-heart-of-illness-shares-chilling-coronavirus-thoughts/
    chicorytip wrote: »
    Italy has a population of fifty million so it must be difficult for the authorities to rigidly enforce compliance across the board. It's a hopeless task really even in a small country like ours. The number of new cases of infection in Italy has not dropped significantly as a result of lockdown measures being introduced.

They left it too late. They are open about the root cause. They are are asking other countries not to fall into the same trap.

Hopeless my backside. People will have to be inconvenienced to save as many as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

But really we should do a total shut down. If we overshoot the mark we can reopen things in 2 weeks, and it will really force businesses to figure out this work-from-home thing NOW rather than later. I think some will put it off till they have to.

Agreed, we should err on the side of caution and be doubling down right now. Only four deaths here so far but if in 2 or 3 weeks it is 50 or 60 people will look back and recognise that we should have locked down earlier. Better to be safe than sorry.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agreed, we should err on the side of caution and be doubling down right now. Only four deaths here so far but if in 2 or 3 weeks it is 50 or 60 people will look back and recognise that we should have locked down earlier. Better to be safe than sorry.

Backlog of tests to be qualified.

Backlog of tests to be carried out on waiting patients. 40,000

Seems that only NVRL doing lab test results They are the only accredited WHO testing centre, but there is no reason that commercial companies should not be contracted.

READ in Disbelief - We are going to have a massive jump as a result of the messing
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1242048836962525186?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If people start to think and use their brains a bit more we can get through this....

Biggest issues are groups or just too many going to the one place. ..

The way I've done it if it's too busy I drive on and find somewhere else to walk.
    Whether that be from the house and around the area or down the Forrest or beach.....

Keep distance from others but where I work this isn't possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Not in 1 week 2 weeks whatever, NOW!
    While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Anyone that agrees stick your name below.

Mad alarmist statement based only on your preference and opinion. The CMO has said that the data available and scientific/ medical expertise points to not yet needing a full lockdown.

That'll do for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ill let Leo know realdanbreen on Boards really wants a shutdown.

Fair play to you for doing that. Seems like he's taking my advice and announcing it tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I dont think it should be understated either but peoppe cant afford to feed kids and pay bills on 203 a week.

I know ill get hit with the coronavirus will kill people and people will get sick which is fair enough and a valid point. But the practicalities of life still exist for most.

The reality is a family living on the breadline wont lockdown for long if they cant afford too. A balance is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fair play to you for doing that. Seems like he's taking my advice and announcing it tomorrow!
    Nah, Wednesday at 11 is better for me.

I dont think it should be understated either but peoppe cant afford to feed kids and pay bills on 203 a week.

I know ill get hit with the coronavirus will kill people and people will get sick which is fair enough and a valid point. But the practicalities of life still exist for most.

The reality is a family living on the breadline wont lockdown for long if they cant afford too. A balance is needed.

They'll have to, like everyone else
    Mad alarmist statement based only on your preference and opinion. The CMO has said that the data available and scientific/ medical expertise points to not yet needing a full lockdown.

That'll do for me.

Nothing alarmist about it. This is around the corner. Fast approaching.

Get your head out of the sand. The CMO's data DOES NOT include the pending cases that are due back from the overwhelmed lab. It does not include the 40,000 tests yet to be carried out because of the lab backlog and the lack of kits and system wherewithall.

The WHO mantra is TEST TEST TEST as you cannot fight it blindfolded. You need to know who is infected and isolate them.

We are stuck right there at the moment and there are a lot of people infected who need to be isloated so our system does not get overwhelmed.

The degrees of panic have been phased. Need to step onto the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

I'm a firm believer that social distancing is enough to get rid of this thing...

But some people dont seem to understand the concept of social distancing. Whatsoever!!! I made a run to Tesco the other night only to find people still in groups (clearly not families) and no social distancing in queues.

I think shops are trying their best but the people aren't getting it. So the only way for them to do social distancing is to FORCE social distancing... with a lockdown.

And that is not something i say lightly. As a person who suffers with depression and anxiety and as a mum of a child with autism who is seriously struggling in this climate, I still think a lock down is the only way.

Unless people start actually practising social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Hmmmm....who to listen to a randomer ranting on Boards, or the expert group on public health. It's a tough call but seeing as Karen on FB knows f**k all I'll take my chance and listen to the expert advice.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

CaoinDory wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that social distancing is enough to get rid of this thing...

Judging by yesterday, I would disagree. Too many people are ignorant and obviously didn't/don't listen.

Well unless they work in the few businesses that are remaining open (for necessities), we will have to accept what we are given. Hopefully bills can be frozen in the mean time to leviate a lot of worries people have.

The reality is that they probably have no where to work and for the forseeable future too. So lock down and we get this curbed faster, so people can get back to work faster and life can resume again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If my understanding is correct - you get this virus by spending 10-15 mins within two metres or so of someone who is infected.

I went to the beach yesterday. Everyone on that beach, without fail, stayed at least two metres away from everyone else bar their immediate group (which were mainly their families). Yet, some posters seem to think this is dangerous. On the few occasions I have ventured out, social distancing has been observed pretty much without fail.

Am I missing something?

Hmmmm....who to listen to a randomer ranting on Boards, or the expert group on public health. It's a tough call but seeing as Karen on FB knows f**k all I'll take my chance and listen to the expert advice.

There are NO EXPERTS.

We can only learn from the mistakes of other countries.

People might get a fuzzy feeling about it'll all be grand. Wait a few weeks, there will be no positives if this gets out of the control of our limited health system.

The simple matter is we don't have a handle on our exact numbers of infections due to a problem with the scale of testing and lab work required. That is not a good start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

Yakult wrote: »
    Judging by yesterday, I would disagree. Too many people are ignorant and obviously didn't/don't listen.

Did you even read the rest of my post???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement