Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bit that selfish that, no? I mean, that is you thinking of your civil liberties while complaining about someone doing that same.

I never have a problem with people who get into trouble through their work or through happenstance.
    And that includes things like people who cause emergency service/rescue service call outs during storms.

I do have serious issue with people who think they fooking know better, disregard advice to be careful and then end up needing ermergency services or in this case very stressed medical services.

I am not thinking of my civil liberties.
    I am thinking of the lives of my wife, and all other medical staff, who have to pick up the pieces, sometimes due to morons who think their civil liberties and their rights trump the greater good.

They have enough to be doing without having to also cater for the fallout from morons who can't be ar**ed trying their best to contain this.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

flexcon wrote: »
    Genuine question

I am off work for 5 days starting from tomorrow. For my own sanity I am looking to drive somewhere by the coast and just get some air and maybe a nap in too in this glorious sun

A I being stupid if I drive the kerry mountains and enjoy the nature and just return home without having contact with anyone? Will I be harshly judged?

Serious question now - I want to do my bit here and stay away

I bitched a lot about people being out in likes of Wicklow mountains last weekend and the reason for that is they stopped, usually parked with no regard for anyone else, often had loose dogs and then tramped around the place like a herd of sheep with no regard for social distancing.

If they drove on and just took in the views that would be fine.

But they fookin didn't.

What you are proposing to do is fine in my book.

BTW nevermind the Ring of Kerry, take the road from Molls Gap across the Ballaghbeama Gap towards Glencar.
    Now you can turn off before Glencar and head towards the Ballaghisheen Pass and go toward Waterville or Cahirsiveen.
    Alternatively go into Glencar and then turn off for Glenbeigh and drive down by Caragh Lake.

Make sure you are well fueled up.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

jmayo wrote: »

BTW nevermind the Ring of Kerry, take the road from Molls Gap across the Ballaghbeama Gap towards Glencar.
    Now you can turn off before Glencar and head towards the Ballaghisheen Pass and go toward Waterville or Cahirsiveen.
    Alternatively go into Glencar and then turn off for Glenbeigh and drive down by Caragh Lake.

This is some drive. Went molls to glencar last winter on a clear frosty morning. Not another sole to be seen. Loved every second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

This is some drive. Went molls to glencar last winter on a clear frosty morning. Not another sole to be seen. Loved every second.

Well, that's traffic jams around Glencar tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

the crowds can stick to the black valley

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I work in auditing government spending and how they implement programmes. There will definitely need to be audit of how government performed during this process. It's essential to learn from this event for the future.

Any time you make money available you have a trade off between getting money out quickly and doing more thorough fraud checks. At the moment we're prioritising getting money out to people and organisations who need so mistakes will inevitably be made.

Nobody is interested in pointing the finger at this stage, but it's absolutely necessary to look back at how things were done, what went well and what didn't.

To be fair it's a one off. And auditing spend alone is probably not the only aspect of this. Any audit of this has to include future spend outside of events such as this (and I hope to God this never occurs again), in order to do some form of prep for events such as this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Sorry if this has already been said here.
    I work in an office and we have not been shut.
    I thought when the government said no don't go to work unless it was essential meant pretty much everything shutting down.
    I would not consider my job essential but I can't really do it from home either.
    Part of me is glad to still be working but I do worry about adding to the spread of the virus or getting the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

shesty wrote: »
    To be fair it's a one off. And auditing spend alone is probably not the only aspect of this. Any audit of this has to include future spend outside of events such as this (and I hope to God this never occurs again), in order to do some form of prep for events such as this....

That’s why we audit the spend and how the programmes are implemented.

Even if it is a one off, we still need to know how much was spent, what it was spent on, how effectively it was spent and how much fraud there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

I bitched a lot about people being out in likes of Wicklow mountains last weekend and the reason for that is they stopped, usually parked with no regard for anyone else, often had loose dogs and then tramped around the place like a herd of sheep with no regard for social distancing.

If they drove on and just took in the views that would be fine.

But they fookin didn't.

What you are proposing to do is fine in my book.

Amazing! Thanks for that! I will def have a look at this.

Full tank ready to go. Paid 118.9 for it too so I’ll be enjoying a heavy foot!

Genuine question

I am off work for 5 days starting from tomorrow. For my own sanity I am looking to drive somewhere by the coast and just get some air and maybe a nap in too in this glorious sun

A I being stupid if I drive the kerry mountains and enjoy the nature and just return home without having contact with anyone? Will I be harshly judged?

Serious question now - I want to do my bit here and stay away

They’re setting up checkpoints in the uk to ask people if their journey is necessary. It can’t be sensible to drive long distances at the moment. It just risks dragging the virus long distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

They’re setting up checkpoints in the uk to ask people if their journey is necessary. It can’t be sensible to drive long distances at the moment. It just risks dragging the virus long distances.

see this is the thing. I don't want to be accidentally that idiot that has missed something obvious by going on a day trip. full tank, food drink won't be contacting anyone.

see this is the thing. I don't want to be accidentally that idiot that has missed something obvious by going on a day trip. full tank, food drink won't be contacting anyone.

Yeah. It's completely against the spirit of the thing we're trying to achieve at the moment but I'm not going to invent numbers to help you realise the risks. Couldn't we all just choose to not be a knob about it and stay inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

A big reason I want a complete lockdown is asymptomatic carriers.

What if you go hiking/walking/running near your house and get injured? At best, you end up sapping healthcare resources. At worst, you infect paramedics, doctors and nurses who treat you -say you are carrying this disease but don’t know.

Just because you feel well, doesn’t mean you are well. That’s the scary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

RubyXI wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been said here.
    I work in an office and we have not been shut.
    I thought when the government said no don't go to work unless it was essential meant pretty much everything shutting down.
    I would not consider my job essential but I can't really do it from home either.
    Part of me is glad to still be working but I do worry about adding to the spread of the virus or getting the virus.

Was in this position in a BIG open plan office building til a few days ago. It was awful, really tense and anxiety through the roof. We kept saying to management we're not comfortable basically, and they eventually shut the building. Surprise surprise, the WFH survey emails are now coming through, despite them previously saying it "wouldn't be possible" :rolleyes:. Best of luck, it's really not a nice situation.
    Yeah. It's completely against the spirit of the thing we're trying to achieve at the moment but I'm not going to invent numbers to help you realise the risks. Couldn't we all just choose to not be a knob about it and stay inside?

Sorry but genuinely, what risk is this dude posing? The virus needs human contact. He's not gonna pass it on by driving past anyone.

We are being encouraged to exercise outside, to go for walks and jogs. Driving to do it is another question I guess (I don’t have a problem with it as long as social distancing can be fully maintained) but we are not being told to stay inside all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

A big reason I want a complete lockdown is asymptomatic carriers.
    Not going to have a back and forth with you. But a complete 'lockdown will NOT happen'. People still have to leave their homes for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

MOH wrote: »
    Well, that's traffic jams around Glencar tomorrow!

Poor Climbers Inn has been waiting for 100 years for that to happen and now they're shut!

Beautiful countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Is anyone else just starting to despise this word "LOCKDOWN". Fed up of hearing it.

Sorry but genuinely, what risk is this dude posing? The virus needs human contact. He's not gonna pass it on by driving past anyone.
    In the specific case, not much. If everyone goes to go do whatever they want to do then we might as well forget the point of the lockdown in the first place.

We're supposed to say home to prevent the spread - even when we would prefer to be out and about.

Instead of looking for ways to go out and about and do whatever we want, this thing would be much more successful if we just play ball.

rob316 wrote: »
    Is anyone else just starting to despise this word "LOCKDOWN". Fed up of hearing it.

Yep, because most calling for one haven't a clue what they want.

• Advertisement

Yes, because there is no such thing. But people are having conniptions about it. We have distancing principles in place, not a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Whatever about lockdowns, shutdowns etc and whether they are necessary or not I do think when this is over, and it will pass, there will be, despite the economic slump that will be present, a lot of good to follow. I think the citizens of this country can be very proud of the way they are conducting themselves in this crisis and the general feeling of goodwill and helping of others that is out there. There will always be gob****es around acting the b****x but they can be dealt with at a later stage and should not take away from the pride that we should have about our nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's the problem really and why public health are reluctant to do something like this. People get tired and it can only be sustained for so long.

Better to get people on-board if possible, even if it takes a bit longer, than to try and force something and have widespread ignoring of the rule.

Whatever about lockdowns, shutdowns etc and whether they are necessary or not I do think when this is over, and it will pass, there will be, despite the economic slump that will be present, a lot of good to follow. I think the citizens of this country can be very proud of the way they are conducting themselves in this crisis and the general feeling of goodwill and helping of others that is out there. There will always be gob****es around acting the b****x but they can be dealt with at a later stage and should not take away from the pride that we should have about our nation.

Yeah I'd generally agree that it brings the good ones to the fore. You see all the people who have signed up to volunteer help like the NHS register and all the Local Councils. Chatting with friends in the UK and they're taking note of which companies are behaving well and treating their staff well and which ones are just acting the maggot. Like the Sports Direct guy, Mike Ashley, and the Wetherspoons guy, Tim Martin, who told his staff to apply to Tesco. They plan to not use any of the businesses who are acting the maggot when this is over.

It won't make much difference but I think this this has shown the good and bad actors in stark relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,081 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah I'd generally agree that it brings the good ones to the fore. You see all the people who have signed up to volunteer help like the NHS register and all the Local Councils. Chatting with friends in the UK and they're taking note of which companies are behaving well and treating their staff well and which ones are just acting the maggot. Like the Sports Direct guy, Mike Ashley, and the Wetherspoons guy, Tim Martin, who told his staff to apply to Tesco. They plan to not use any of the businesses who are acting the maggot when this is over.

It won't make much difference but I think this this has shown the good and bad actors in stark relief.

Philip Green and Richard Branson not going to come out of this well either sadly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Someone posted about somewhere about words they never want to hear again....

Lockdown is at the very top of my list.Right behind it are the phrases "social distancing", "flattening curves" (words I should ever have reason to hear again in conjunction with each other), and anything to do with virus spreads (I am less likely to avoid that one).

They will be no loss to my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Not on this forum they won't. It will take another 2 weeks for them to stop being knobs. Once things start getting tragic.

Just back from my daily 5km run, plenty of people out walking and running. Everyone observing physical distancing. Same thing in the supermarket this evening on the way home from work. From some of the posts here I think some people will only be happy if the whole country goes into hibernation, which of course won't happen.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Philip Green and Richard Branson not going to come out of this well either sadly.

They have the resources and freedom to behave how they want. As my neighbour said yesterday “in a crisis most people behave well, some behave badly and the rich remind us why they are rich”.

I really hope people remember which businesses behave well and reward them when this is over.

• Advertisement

Just back from my daily 5km run, plenty of people out walking and running. Everyone observing physical distancing. Same thing in the supermarket this evening on the way home from work. From some of the posts here I think some people will only be happy if the whole country goes into hibernation, which of course won't happen.

Agree with you. With the exception of an antisocial minority (who would ignore any kind of lockdown anyway, no matter how strict) people are being sensible. I see no need to shut everything down given the behaviour I am seeing from all but a tiny minority

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement