Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Utterly outrageous response.

Totalitarianism as I have pointed out.

Adolf Varadkar strikes again.

Would you ever cop on to yourself? This should have been announced 2 weeks ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Totalitarianism?

I dont think it means, what you think it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Source for official lockdown?

Turn on the tele

I guarantee everywhere is just as busy tomorrow. There are enough people that live within 2km of parks to still make them pretty busy. And you can still do a decently long run staying 2km from home. Only two substantive changes I think: people can’t drive to the mountains or the beach, and the construction industry is shut down

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gardai now have the power of arrest of anyone for being outside without a good reason. Problem is there isnt enough of them to properly police this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

As someone who works in the health service, this post is moronic. There's a catastrophe on the edge of happening out there and you're throwing words like totalitarian around

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

As someone who works in the health service, this post is moronic. There's a catastrophe on the edge of happening out there and you're throwing words like totalitarian around

Some people are just not getting it. It's scary! Thank you for all your hard work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Few of those here. They're so self centred it's astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

You sir live up to your name.

Dick head.

I'm willing to take a sanction for the first time in over ten years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I’ll be in work Monday so afaik, tough times ahead for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭mickey15ie

I guarantee everywhere is just as busy tomorrow. There are enough people that live within 2km of parks to still make them pretty busy. And you can still do a decently long run staying 2km from home. Only two substantive changes I think: people can’t drive to the mountains or the beach, and the construction industry is shut down

Not sure if it is shut down or not yet,hopefully list is issue soon

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Totalitarianism?

I dont think it means, what you think it means.

Well, you could always offer him an example of this Totalitarianism that he has a hard on for , ya know, cut off his right to free expression here, what with it being a totalitarian society and all .lol

The news articles are stating that essential shops are open, and people have a limited ability to go out and exercise for a brief period but only within 2km of the homestead ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Muahahaha wrote: »
    LOCKDOWN

Comes only 3 days after the previous measures were announced, the government is at sixes and sevens on this issue now. One day the government sanction the safety of horse racing going ahead behind closed doors then three days later it wasnt deemed to be safe. On Tuesday they were saying it was fine for construction sites to stay open, today they are saying it isnt.
    It's not as if it's a rapidly evolving situation where decisions have massive consequences and these decisions are being made by humans who haven't made these before and are desperately trying to do the right thing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The problem will be enforcement still - the people who have been complying, will continue to do so. Those who haven't been probably won't change their behaviour. We'll still have the gangs of teenagers roaming around, maybe even more so if they feel it's a free-for-all.

Maybe it'll help push us to the 75% isolation needed to really slow this down. I'm just worried it won't make the idiots out there alter their lives because there'll be no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Does booze count as “essential” supplies ?

Gardai now have the power of arrest of anyone for being outside without a good reason. Problem is there isnt enough of them to properly police this

Not to mention the presence of a good reason for being out . What’s the chances there will be a few quislings and curtain twitchers tomorrow ringing up the gardai on someone who has a good reason to be out ie following the 2km rule for exercise or going to work in say a pharmacy / supermarket ?

I’d say Garda presence on the street will be governments priority tomorrow.

Wonder will the military police be out, that will really get the doomsayers on the horn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Hi Garda, I am on my way to the supermarket.

Hi Garda, I am exercising within 2km of my home.

Both considered good reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

donaghs wrote: »
    probably only essential that will be bought massively 2morrow to counteract side effects of this joke, can't imagine many staying sober trough this for few days let alone weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I've absolutely no idea how a 10k run through my rural community spreads a virus when I meet nobody. 2km? I thought they were a bit overboard with that radius and I cannot comply with that particular measure. A run in the hills keeps me sane even on good weeks.
    I'll be compliant in all other regards. The only way I could spread a virus with my activity over the past few weeks would be food shopping. But there is little I can do about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HalfBlues

Pulse check to see where they live and thatl quickly catch people out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

15,000 Guards at most only 8,000 available at any given time to be on the streets. These restrictions need the buy in of the public and the two weeks will be a big enough ask. A relaxation of the restrictions needs to happen fairly soon after the two weeks, a rolling restrictive regime won't last long.

To alcoholics , yes one would assume (the real alcoholics that is )

Otherwise no . Unless ye are using vodka for cleaning wounds etc

Anyway , they would be sold in supermarkets and supermarkets are essential premises that are open. Not so sure the cops have time to actually search your bags (Ordinary common law powers sure ) shop keeper ain’t going to refuse your money

It’s thanks to the small minority of morons who ruin it for everyone else with their failure to heed social distancing etc .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

topper75 wrote: »
    I've absolutely no idea how a 10k run through my rural community spreads a virus when I meet nobody. 2km? I thought they were a bit overboard with that radius and I cannot comply with that particular measure. A run in the hills keeps me sane even on good weeks.
    I'll be compliant in all other regards. The only way I could spread a virus with my activity over the past few weeks would be food shopping. But there is little I can do about that.

Be a champ and don't go on a sweating, panting, dirty run now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s funny that the worlds best athletes such as Mo Farah can run 10k in radius of about 90m but you must have more than 2km. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

ixoy wrote: »
    . I'm just worried it won't make the idiots out there alter their lives because there'll be no penalty.
    In fairness, very large numbers of people have made very big differences to their lives, and I expect most will largely comply with this.

Its just that expecting absolutely everyone to stay at home, just like that, is simplistic. There's many aspects to this. One is switching off the self righteous meme, no matter how satisfying it is.

I've a lot of time for the low paid supermarket workers, facing very similar risks to health sector workers but without the recognition. I suspect many of them can't afford to stop working. And, of course, others who can't afford to stop working are now forced to, by people who won't be facing a drop in income.

Just a few thoughts that might help those who like throwing around words like idiot and moron.

This isolation is really hard for many people. The economic damage that is facing us is what I'm not looking forward to. That will take many of us more than a couple of intensive months work to fix.

Social solidarity means seeing those impacts, too.

Well, least you are in the country area, cops won’t be around ,nor will any other civilians . For once, this isolation is a blessing. Enjoy your run and be safe. Go bollox naked if you desire

Cut through fields or just run around a pitch for laps

• Registered Users Posts: 33,364 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Not if the Guard can point to several supermarkets closer to your home than your current point.

In the UK, yes.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52033260

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

HalfBlues wrote: »
    Pulse check to see where they live and thatl quickly catch people out

does that create a permanent file on a person?

Seve OB wrote: »
    It’s funny that the worlds best athletes such as Mo Farah can run 10k in radius of about 90m but you must have more than 2km. :rolleyes:

We don't all have access to drugs of that quality

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've absolutely no idea how a 10k run through my rural community spreads a virus when I meet nobody. 2km?
    Sure I get it but it's a rule that applies to everyone. They can't really define one for rural areas and one for urban. What do you expect:

"Please see Section A for population density, Section B for travel based on density, Section C to account for criteria based on road type as applicable to average speed, Section D to account for general weighting of importance of your journey based on physical and mental health and destination. You can then apply the figures from Sections A to D to the formula in Section E - fully formatted using Latex - to self calculate your approved radial travel distance."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement