Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

are building sites closed? its confusing... surely they are now

should have happened earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

STB. wrote: »
    That's a matter for the Guards.

MOST people will realise the severity of the situation.

MOST don't have their heads buried in the sand.

But there are always a FEW gob****es as you say, who wont.

Your defeatist attitude is loud and clear however. You feel the measures are too much ?

You confuse defeatism with pragmatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Seve OB wrote: »
    Still don’t get it do you?

Get what ?

I said target the groups that are not currently adhering to the social distancing - target them hard - and the majority who are adhering to social distancing could continue to live, a little more comfortably (like South Korea

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

How's the view from that horse?

About the same as it was before the lockdown.

Hows your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

3 more flights due in from NYC in the morning.
    What checks will be done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Apparently there is nowhere safe within 2km of my house to walk.

I am about to go for a run, in line with WHO advice, and will not get within a number of metres of another human. Zero, actually zero, risk to me or anyone else

Good. Go do whatever you like. I’m sure you know best...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Does the usual scobe exemption apply in the new lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

I’m sure you know best...

*i'm sure WHO know best

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    I’m in Dublin for the night.. plan was to get the train back home to Cork tomorrow, however, they’ve since announced the further restrictions.. Will I be allowed get on the train if I explain that I need to go home to Cork or will I be trapped here in Dublin for the next 2 weeks!?!! ��

I assume you'll be stuck in Dublin? It says only essential workers can use public transport now. Most of the deaths have been in Dublin and most of the cases are in Dublin, so I assume you had a really really really good reason for coming here. (Sorry I'm a little mad that you were planning on putting the real capital at risk)

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#march-27

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You confuse defeatism with pragmatism.

Pragmatically people will die unnecessarily otherwise.

We could all give up all the same though.

What happens if you are in the middle of moving home????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Apparently there is nowhere safe within 2km of my house to walk.

You're from Ballyfermot? :pac:

The best point you've made is that the less careful and considerate among the population may not get the point. But that was always going to be the case. Rightfully, there's backlash against the kind of idiots opening their pubs for lock-ins and continuing to have parties etc. This is stupid, dangerous behaviour and I agree should not be tolerated.

The rest? No basis in fact given our current knowledge. Where am I suggesting that everyone "do as they please"? You've again, not actually read what I've said and are projecting your own meaning onto it. There's nothing even slightly "edgelord" about anything I've said, unless HSE and WHO guidelines are somehow edgy now? All I've said is that if you are taking precautions, being outdoors is not harmful. Leaving your house does not hit a magic kill switch that is pressed to transmit the virus as soon as you step outside the bounds of your property.

You're also mocking me over taking actual tangible steps there, i.e not travelling and frequently washing my hands. Two of the most effective ways to halt the spread, and you're dismissing it. Why?

I'll say this once more. A virus needs to come into contact with a suitable host (human). If said human is avoiding contact with other humans and leaving no potential traces of a virus on surfaces that may be shared by other humans, it's fairly irrelevant where that human happens to be. I'm inside my house the majority of the day, and when I'm not, I'm keeping my distance.

Thus far, no one has responded to this with anything other than emotionally charged "just don't", without any facts backing it up. And again, I get it. We all want to control how this plays out, for the better. We are all scared. But there's no evidence to suggest that exercising outdoors alone is putting people at risk, and all the guidelines I've read, from multiple countries and authorities, are actually backing this up. I'm not suggesting anything radical here.

I am saying a situation where people cannot leave their homes without permission from local authorities is horrible and should be a real last resort when all else fails and the evidence supports this as the required measure. A lot of people seem to want to jump to this stage in the hope that it is the most effective measure, and I don't see a lot of thought going into this.

I’m sure you know what you’re doing and you’ve calculated all the risks. As you’ve maintained all along, you know best. Don’t listen to a fool like me who suggests you don’t go for a jolly up in the countryside.

Be sure to tell us about your trip. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

I assume you'll be stuck in Dublin? It says only essential workers can use public transport now. Most of the deaths have been in Dublin and most of the cases are in Dublin, so I assume you had a really really really good reason for coming here. (Sorry I'm a little mad that you were planning on putting the real capital at risk)

https://www.gov.ie/en/news/7e0924-latest-updates-on-covid-19-coronavirus/#march-27

Yes I had a very good reason. Surely they just can’t expect to tell people there’s a lockdown at 9pm with 3 hours notice!? Like.. there would not have been a way to get back home at that stage!! Surely they will need to allow people travel home, even if they are not on the ‘essential workers’ list..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

nthclare wrote: »
    Im around 500m from the river would a walk down with the fly fishing rod be allowed for an hours fishing in the evening.

My immediate family is 70k away haven't seen anyone in two weeks.

No and that is not just as a result of this evening’s announcement.
    Fishing doesn’t fall into any of the below.
    The Taoiseach said people need to stay at home and only leave to:

go to work
    go to the shops for essential supplies
    care for others
    exercise

Just listening to the CEO of the Irish Medical Organisation being interviewed by Ivan Yates on Newstalk (half an hour ago) and she said it is absolutely VITAL for people's physical and mental health that they get outside for exercise in these times. Social distancing should be practiced and not going out in groups of more than 4 family members. Walking, running, cycling all encouraged using these measures.

There you go lads.....straight from the horses mouth. ElDuderino09 and realdanbreen you need to step back from your devices for a while, maybe get a breath of fresh air.
    lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yes I had a very good reason..

What was the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ned Led Zeppo

Raconteuse wrote: »
    The WHO today: "This is just the beginning of the fight".

It's to tackle the pandemic - nothing more sinister.

China are going back to work, and left the rest of the World up **** creek.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sadly still think we will have probs with this esp the younger generation who will still go out and have house parties etc

Some people need to be out attention seeking for there social media image

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

China are going back to work, and left the rest of the World up **** creek.:mad:

China treat animals like sh**e. It's never been ok at any stage but now that it affects the rest of us it gets highlighted more. If there's one good thing that comes from all this it should be that we learn to respect wild animals more, having wild animals in cages in live markets and next to slaughtered meat, and so on... How the hell can you justify that on any level, let alone hygiene.
    It's not new, just a new virus. We could all take a long hard look at our treatment of animals but China would be one of the leading offenders.
    We've no real respect for the animals we eat worldwide really, being truthful about it. At some stage it needs looking at, starting in China. But we're no saints here either.

Seve OB wrote: »
    What was the reason?

(it was definitely tinder)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LolaBean

I’m sure you know what you’re doing and you’ve calculated all the risks. As you’ve maintained all along, you know best. Don’t listen to a fool like me who suggests you don’t go for a jolly up in the countryside.

Be sure to tell us about your trip. Lol.

Ah here, you keep going with your inane boring chatter about 'jolly ups' :rolleyes:. You have your view, everyone else has theirs. You're confusing responsible social distancing with self-isolation but sure, as long as it doesn't stop you pontificating on what everyone else in the country should be doing what the hell eh? Mark Twain gave good advice for a reason :rolleyes:

China had been producing and sending out test kits to many countries, so hardly leaving the world alone up sh1t creek. They've also been sending out medical experts about the virus to other countries in Asia and Africa. However, China has recently closed their borders completely to foreigners, and are preventing any new arrivals. Complete suspension of international travel, because of the numbers arriving who are infected.

There's also the aspect of carriers without symptoms, and also that they're finding a large percentage of people being infected after initially tested negative.. They're becoming quite scared that they're unable to determine who is infected and who isn't. So China will likely be locking down again, although i suspect not quite as hard as before.

This is a global problem... and nobody will be able to close themselves off from it. One way or another the vast majority of countries (I'm excluding places like N.Korea) will be part of the solution.

Yes I had a very good reason. Surely they just can’t expect to tell people there’s a lockdown at 9pm with 3 hours notice!? Like.. there would not have been a way to get back home at that stage!! Surely they will need to allow people travel home, even if they are not on the ‘essential workers’ list..

As a rule, Irish authority figures are very good at making common sense exceptions to rules. I'm sure you'll be able to get home. I'll cross my fingers for you.

I'd bear in mind that this thing is all over Dublin though, act as if you have it because we can transmit it without symptoms.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Hardly anyone wanted this but thanks to selfish people congregating in groups, here we are.

Ah look, there were loads of selfish people who were looking for justifications to go for jolly-ups to the country side and do whatever they liked. Loads of people were just going to do what they liked so these measures were necessary. It’s a pity that people enough couldn’t choose to behave well. But I think most people were behaving well beforehand. And now some of the people who behaved poorly will have a change of heart and join the rest in behaving well and being sensible.

Stay home and be sensible - even if you’d prefer to go for a bike ride in the countryside.

About the same as it was before the lockdown.

Hows your view?

Hasn't changed, still have work Monday , out for my runs as usual and not being a sanctimonious ahole. All good basically. Btw it ain't a lockdown whatever the f**k that means.

*i'm sure WHO know best

No, no. I’m sure you know best. Government be dammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

China had been producing and sending out test kits to many countries, so hardly leaving the world alone up sh1t creek. They've also been sending out medical experts about the virus to other countries in Asia and Africa. However, China has recently closed their borders completely to foreigners, and are preventing any new arrivals. Complete suspension of international travel, because of the numbers arriving who are infected.

There's also the aspect of carriers without symptoms, and also that they're finding a large percentage of people being infected after initially tested negative.. They're becoming quite scared that they're unable to determine who is infected and who isn't. So China will likely be locking down again, although i suspect not quite as hard as before.

This is a global problem... and nobody will be able to close themselves off from it. One way or another the vast majority of countries (I'm excluding places like N.Korea) will be part of the solution.

Some of the test kits sent to Spain have been deemed inaccurate -
    Also, all of China did not got into lockdown, it was the city of Wuhan and its province , mysteriously the virus did not take hold in the rest of the country, still not heard a valid reason why this was so - Why do countrys way smaller than China already have much higher mortalities and infections, given the virus would have spread for 2 months before Wuhan went in lockdown.

• Advertisement

No, no. I’m sure you know best. Government be dammed.

Where the hell do you think government and the CMO is getting their advice? Here's an obvious clue it starts with W. a H. In the middle and an O at end . World Health Organisation. You really should drop the condescending attitude it really does you no favours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement