Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hasn't changed, still have work Monday , out for my runs as usual and not being a sanctimonious ahole. All good basically. Btw it ain't a lockdown whatever the f**k that means.

Fair play. If you’re immune to the change in policy then, fair play. Takes a certain thickness to refuse to adapt to reality. Ultimately, It’s your choice. I’m sure you think you know best.

Where the hell do you think government and the CMO is getting their advice? Here's an obvious clue it starts with W. a H. In the middle and an O at end . World Health Organisation. You really should drop the condescending attitude it really does you no favours.

Look, as I’ve said all along, you can go do whatever you like. I suspect you’ll fall in line. Maybe you’ll pick this as a place to make a stand, but in reality, you’ll fall in line, won’t you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Fair play. If you’re immune to the change in policy then, fair play. Takes a certain thickness to refuse to adapt to reality. Ultimately, It’s your choice. I’m sure you think you know best.

No thickness at all. I have followed the advice from government and WHO from day one. I work in an essential industry. I advised my family on what steps we need to take. I have not being in my parents home or my in-laws home in the last 5 weeks.
    I also find the manner of the likes of you antagonistic. You pass comment on others that you know FA about . Basically you are behaving like an a**hole, but I suspect you were probably one before this crisis.

thebaz wrote: »
    Some of the test kits sent to Spain have been deemed inaccurate -
    Also, all of China did not got into lockdown, it was the city of Wuhan and its province ,

All Chinese cities initially locked down, followed by enforced social distancing, with security checking people in their homes and outside.... Semantics. Still, essentially a lockdown considering everyone needed a solid reason for being outside..

I'm based in Xi'an. I get regular updates from friends and colleagues there as to what the conditions were/are like.
    mysteriously the virus did not take hold in the rest of the country, still not heard a valid reason why this was so -

Valid? What's deemed valid? Personally, I figure they caught on relatively quickly to the virus, shutting down the country, and limiting movement. They got lucky.
    Why do countrys way smaller than China already have much higher mortalities and infections, given the virus would have spread for 2 months before Wuhan went in lockdown.

You're assuming that 1) the virus was in the same state, and hadn't mutated previously... and 2) that the virus was present for two weeks before the lockdown.

It's likely the virus was there only a few days before it was detected and lockdown initiated. When I left China, there were reports of a flu bug in Wuhan, before Covid was named. They were just lucky to catch on before it spread too much. Dunno really. No definite answers here, and I don't think you're going to find any. Just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

All Chinese cities initially locked down, followed by enforced social distancing, with security checking people in their homes and outside.... Semantics. Still, essentially a lockdown considering everyone needed a solid reason for being outside..

I'm based in Xi'an. I get regular updates from friends and colleagues there as to what the conditions were/are like.

Valid? What's deemed valid? Personally, I figure they caught on relatively quickly to the virus, shutting down the country, and limiting movement. They got lucky.

You're assuming that 1) the virus was in the same state, and hadn't mutated previously... and 2) that the virus was present for two weeks before the lockdown.

It's likely the virus was there only a few days before it was detected and lockdown initiated. When I left China, there were reports of a flu bug in Wuhan, before Covid was named. They were just lucky to catch on before it spread too much. Dunno really. No definite answers here, and I don't think you're going to find any. Just speculation.

The virus was first noted end of November , Wuhan did not go into lockdown until Jan 27 - The virus that is so contageos would have had 2 months to spread throughout China - yet only 81,000 cases in a country of 1.5 billion - that I find strange - The virus mutates very slowly is what the experts believe (thankfully)

• Advertisement

No thickness at all. I have followed the advice from government and WHO from day one. I work in an essential industry. I advised my family on what steps we need to take. I have not being in my parents home or my in-laws home in the last 5 weeks.
    I also find the manner of the likes of you antagonistic. You pass comment on others that you know FA about . Basically you are behaving like an a**hole, but I suspect you were probably one before this crisis.

Look, behaving well was a good idea before i said it was a good idea. The character who was trying to justify going for a jolly-up in the country side was acting the maggot before the new rules came into place and they're acting the maggot now that the rules have come into place. Nothing has changed except the rules. The behaviour was always foolish

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

nthclare wrote: »
    Im around 500m from the river would a walk down with the fly fishing rod be allowed for an hours fishing in the evening.

My immediate family is 70k away haven't seen anyone in two weeks.

Are you for real? Why is this so hard for people to understand?

STAY THE **** AT HOME!!!!

No you may not like it. But there are people out there suffering and sacrificing to try and get this under control. The rule is NO NON-ESSENTIAL LEAVING THE HOUSE.

Your hobby does not come under "essential".

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HalfBlues

does that create a permanent file on a person?

No just checks info if it exists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

China are going back to work, and left the rest of the World up **** creek.:mad:
    What else can they do I suppose. They are sending aid to Italy and elsewhere. Not out of the woods either. Fearing a second wave too from folk coming into the country, as klaz said.
    Some of the test kits sent to Spain have been deemed inaccurate -
    Also, all of China did not got into lockdown, it was the city of Wuhan and its province , mysteriously the virus did not take hold in the rest of the country, still not heard a valid reason why this was so - Why do countrys way smaller than China already have much higher mortalities and infections, given the virus would have spread for 2 months before Wuhan went in lockdown.
    I believe very very draconian lockdown measures that wouldn't be possible in other countries played a role in the relatively quick stabilisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

As someone who works in the health service, this post is moronic. There's a catastrophe on the edge of happening out there and you're throwing words like totalitarian around

It is totalitarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

EU Global Big brother I fear.

Indeed. They even insist on flying the foreign EU flag at their podiums when making the announcements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Randy hickey do not post in this thread again. Reason-You know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It is totalitarian.

It's the heart of decision making in a liberal democracy with its own Constitution i.e. balancing the right to life with, well, any other rights which may be conflicting atm such as the right to earn a livelihood, etc. Valuing the lives of the vulnerable members of society over economic isn't totalitarian, it's humane.

The great irony is that it will be the libertarians who end up contracting the virus due to their inability to adhere to basic government guidelines. Some may argue that will be natural selection at work.

Ireland's approach to this has literally been the opposite of totalitarianism. If you don't understand that, you need to read up on political systems and history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is a dog walk to the park not allowed in these new rules? I’m hearing so many mixed things as always

• Registered Users Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is a dog walk to the park not allowed in these new rules? I’m hearing so many mixed things as always

It's excercise so yes. If it's over 2km no,walkyour dog on the street.

We need to stay home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I’m sure you know what you’re doing and you’ve calculated all the risks. As you’ve maintained all along, you know best. Don’t listen to a fool like me who suggests you don’t go for a jolly up in the countryside.

Be sure to tell us about your trip. Lol.

Just cause you're a mod/ex mod you can't get away with this bullsh1t...
    The cheek of you.
    You're the clown that wanted to get a away in your holiers to poland and said the virus is a celebrity flu and "a load of nonsense", and you couldn't give a shyte about the Coronavirus.

And when called out on your stupidity, you wouldn't admit that you were wrong.
    Why are you being such a dick now???? Cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm quite cross with this lockdown! I don't want to live in a totalitarian state, but it's the usual story that the decent abiding people will suffer while the usual scummers will carry on as before regardless with little actual repercussions

🙈🙉🙊

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Just cause you're a mod/ex mod you can't get away with this bullsh1t...
    The cheek of you.
    You're the clown that wanted to get a away in your holiers to poland and said the virus is a celebrity flu and "a load of nonsense", and you couldn't give a shyte about the Coronavirus.

And when called out on your stupidity, you wouldn't admit that you were wrong.
    Why are you being such a dick now???? Cop on

Lol. I’m a mod now, am I? News to me.

I'm quite cross with this lockdown! I don't want to live in a totalitarian state, but it's the usual story that the decent abiding people will suffer while the usual scummers will carry on as before regardless with little actual repercussions

The uk is over a week into these kind of rules. Chatting to a police officer in the uk last night and he said people are getting the message. Most adults are just playing ball. Some children who are used to roaming the streets are really struggling and their parents aren’t used to having them at home either so they’re struggling too. But the main problem is junkies who don’t actually give a shyte because they need to do their normal rounds to get money and drugs.

Early in the week he was having to break up BBQs with 20 people in one instance. But as the week went on, people got the message. And it will probably follow a similar pattern here too.

There were fools a few pages back who were looking for reasons to justify going doing what they liked, going to the countryside for a day out an a cycle. I presume those people will realise they were bing fools and will modify their behaviour but I’d expect it to take a week for it to sink in.

Some people will still act the maggot bit I think most people will behave well.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Lol. I’m a mod now, am I? News to me.

Lol. You won't admit it.
    And then in your next post you're at it again.
    Read back on the nonsense you've posted in the last few weeks.
    Get down off that horse.
    Lol lol lol lol

• Advertisement

The uk is over a week into these kind of rules. Chatting to a police officer in the uk last night and he said people are getting the message. Most adults are just playing ball. Some children who are used to roaming the streets are really struggling and their parents aren’t used to having them at home either so they’re struggling too. But the main problem is junkies who don’t actually give a shyte because they need to do their normal rounds to get money and drugs.

Early in the week he was having to break up BBQs with 20 people in one instance. But as the week went on, people got the message. And it will probably follow a similar pattern here too.

There were fools a few pages back who were looking for reasons to justify going doing what they liked, going to the countryside for a day out an a cycle. I presume those people will realise they were bing fools and will modify their behaviour but I’d expect it to take a week for it to sink in.

The UK rules are nothing like in Ireland. Groups of more than 2 (if not a family) are banned, and the police enforce this. But there are no rules about distance from your home while running or cycling, coffee shops and cafes are all still open (just that you can’t sit inside), driving to other far away places is not formally prohibited (though not advised), and you can still get your roof done or your kitchen fitted. The stories about the roadblocks in various places like Cornwall are true, but the local police had to take them away when advised by Westminster that they had overreached their power. My family in the UK tell me that there are people out everywhere, albeit there is a wide awareness of and adherence to social distancing.

I think that the general adherence in the UK to social distancing principles and group gatherings than exists in Ireland makes looser restrictions more likely to have an effect. There is an understanding that it is social distancing that is important, not whether or not you do that social distancing within Xkm from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

As a rule, Irish authority figures are very good at making common sense exceptions to rules. I'm sure you'll be able to get home. I'll cross my fingers for you.

I'd bear in mind that this thing is all over Dublin though, act as if you have it because we can transmit it without symptoms.

Thank you so much, appreciate that! I was able to get on the 7am train and am home now thankfully. I’ll certainly be locking myself indoors for the next 2 weeks anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Why would somebody be a fool for going to the countryside or on a cycle while they were adhering to the guidelines of social distancing?

Unfortunately the dramatists have got their lockdown, without really understanding the implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

implications aren't that complicated or difficult to understand. We've already lived through a recession, people say this could be a depression and that's a scary word but remember the crops failed during the great depression in the US, it was a famine first and a depression second. There will be no famine.
    There will be no shortage of the things that really matter and if we mind each other we will still have enough resources to get through, as we always have.

10% of confirmed cases are dying in Italy. 7% in Spain. That's people of all ages and levels of health

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    Thank you so much, appreciate that! I was able to get on the 7am train and am home now thankfully. I’ll certainly be locking myself indoors for the next 2 weeks anyway!

I'm glad you got home safe and sound :)

begbysback wrote: »
    Why would somebody be a fool for going to the countryside or on a cycle while they were adhering to the guidelines of social distancing?

Unfortunately the dramatists have got their lockdown, without really understanding the implications.

When I see Gardai on the streets, with roving patrols telling people to go home.. travel restrictions for vehicles, along with them checking houses occasionally.. then I'll consider this a lock-down.. because it's not one yet.

It's inching towards one, but we're not there yet.

As for why are they a fool... it's about risk. Accidents happen. People can be unlucky. The argument is that you're less likely to come into contact with someone infected within your own home. less people outside means less opportunities for any such accidents to occur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

When Italy and Spain were at the point in time that we are now (four weeks since the first confirmed case) they had fewer deaths than us. Significantly fewer. Four or five.

But waaaah totalitarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

implications aren't that complicated or difficult to understand. We've already lived through a recession, people say this could be a depression and that's a scary word but remember the crops failed during the great depression in the US, it was a famine first and a depression second. There will be no famine.
    There will be no shortage of the things that really matter and if we mind each other we will still have enough resources to get through, as we always have.

10% of confirmed cases are dying in Italy. 7% in Spain. That's people of all ages and levels of health

The implications of temporary removal of civil liberties.

And your figures are completely inaccurate, that’s the % of diagnosed cases, also if you check the median age of deaths you will see that it includes very very few young people, and the large % of those have underlying conditions, in very rare cases there appear to have been no underlying conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭theValheru853

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

Thats the problem.... people cannot make their own decisions. You saw what happened last weekend....the beaches were packed. The weekend before the pubs were packed.

This country has 2 big issues when it comes to dealing with this.

The first one is the "ah sur, til never happen to me" brigade. The people that think they are invincible.

The second one is the "f*** you" brigade, the guys that will not be told what to do by the authorities.

These 2 groups are the biggist 2 problems at the moment, but probably not the only ones if we look

• Advertisement

Look, behaving well was a good idea before i said it was a good idea. The character who was trying to justify going for a jolly-up in the country side was acting the maggot before the new rules came into place and they're acting the maggot now that the rules have come into place. Nothing has changed except the rules. The behaviour was always foolish

What on earth is a "jolly up"? You've said it about a dozen times, I've never heard of it??? It seems to only happen in the countryside too, is that right?? :confused::confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement