Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm sorry for the psychopath comment. Someone putting their own convenience in front of someone else's welfare and life doesn't automatically make them a psychopath. Some people are in denial about how dangerous this is and that doesn't mean they are psychopaths.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

And the east German style curtain twitching begins. What harm is people exercising in the great outdoors doing to you or anyone else?
    In groups... you know what harm it's doing as there is a mountain of information about social distancing.

Germany had like a gazillion ICU beds and ventilators, ventilators are needed to keep a percentage of people, young and old, vulnerable and not vulnerable, alive if they get this. This can give you pnemonia at any age with any health level. The data is freely available everywhere. Watch an interview with any Italian doctor. read the WHO website

The death rates start to skyrocket when you run out of ventilators because they take the ventilators off some people and give them to the youngest healthiest people so they can keep up this statistic that you aren't in danger unless you aren't young and healthy

Indeed our current restrictions are for the very reason that we have way too few ventilators to cater for the would-be takers. Decisions have to be made on which people to afford ventilation where there are not enough machines and ICU staff. If it comes to it and my beloved 89 year old aunt and 98 year old uncle get it, they would have to be allowed to pass away naturally in a hospital bed, and without their family, and possibly buried quickly with a short graveside ceremony, only the bare minimum present. This is a likely scenario in my family, and many many others. We are very close to being like Italy.

Flatmate wants to bring his boyfriend over for the weekend till Monday I said it’s not a good idea the lock down to save lives, told me in no certain terms I don’t care he’s coming.

What do I do what are my rights can I call the guards he’s risking people lives including my own health.

We were told to stay indoors for two weeks and that’s what I will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Of course people are aware of the wider ramifications
    I'm not sure they are really.

If they were, they wouldn't be dismissed so lightly.

I think we're getting a look at what the world would be like if it was run by doctors. No value placed on anything, except immediate medical concerns.

And folk just accept it. Fascinating. Won't pay water charges. But absolutely fully sold on this. Not a peep about where its all going. No curiosity about how a crowded city like Manila will manage itself through this.

Oh, and do continue. I'm still not sure what I'm watching.

• Advertisement

And the east German style curtain twitching begins. What harm is people exercising in the great outdoors doing to you or anyone else?

Yes, what harm would it be letting nature run it’s course anyway, let the virus do it’s thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do people actually read or listen? The 2km restrictions are in relation to exercise from your home only.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/cf9b0d-new-public-health-measures-effective-now-to-prevent-further-spread-o/

Under 'Transport and Travel:

"there will be a nationwide restriction on travel outside of 2 kilometres from your place of residence (except for the restrictions listed above"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

10% of confirmed cases are dying in Italy. 7% in Spain. That's people of all ages and levels of health

That is just the Covid deaths. Because the hospitals are overwhelmed in Spain and Italy then you would also expect ‘collateral damage’ such as people having heart attacks and strokes that would normally end up in ICU. People who aren’t going to get a cancer diagnosis now costing valuable time in treating them.

What do I do what are my rights can I call the guards he’s risking people lives including my own health.
    Absolutely phone the guards, and post up how you get on.

Just make it clear you're not complaining about the gay thing, as that's not illegal any more.

Balf wrote: »

I think we're getting a look at what the world would be like if it was run by doctors. No value placed on anything, except immediate medical concerns.

And folk just accept it. Fascinating. Won't pay water charges. But absolutely fully sold on this. Not a peep about where its all going. No curiosity about how a crowded city like Manila will manage itself through this.

What about the rest of what I said? E.g. not wanting countless people to die or become seriously ill/cripple the already over burdened health service.

This is obviously why people are happy to follow the guidelines - it's pretty self explanatory, no matter how much some edgelord likes to tell themselves it's just about being sheep.

And again, what's the alternative? I never seem to get an answer to that question.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What about the rest of what I said? .
    And what about the rest of what I said? What problems do you think we'll be facing as a society when we wake up with your post Covid hangover in a few months?

Anyone?

Or maybe it's just that the "immediate medical concerns" are just that: immediate.

It's a short term measure to address the immediate medical threat and we have a view of what not doing that would potentially look like as that's what's happening in Italy and Spain.

It's no surprise there's a large scale buy-in for this compared with water charges because (a) the "what's in it for me?" question can be answered with "minimising the risk of death for you or one of your family and (b) the very immediate nature of it. People don't see what the immediate benefit is in paying water charges especially since they're just being asked to now pay for something they didn't have to. But they're not comparable anyway.

And what about the rest of what I said? What problems do you think we'll be facing as a society when we wake up with your post Covid hangover in a few months?

Anyone?
    "Anyone?" Obviously economic ones, psychological ones. It's all part of the same worry. Other health ones - for a f'ucked health system thanks to the virus.

Again, what alternative do you suggest?

Ironically, if people practised social distancing, the restrictions would be required for a shorter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,650 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

No curiosity about how a crowded city like Manila will manage itself through this.

Hunger has already gripped India, with the poor obvioulsy the first wave of casualties, with over crowded soup kitchens.
    Crowded supermakets at home, hamper the vulnerable and elderly most - but no one can question what is going on, and possible alternatives to full scale lockdowns, or even consider the South Korea approach where maneabgle life is occuring whilst maintaing best practises / social distancing etc.

Anyone?

If you don’t wake up you won’t have to worry at all. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Italy:
    86,498 > confirmed cases

10,950 > recovered

9,134 > dead

How many more of the remainder are going to recover we still don't know. At this point in Italy maybe 900 people are dying of this every day and the number is still climbing.

I hope we are all here to wake up in "a few months".

thebaz wrote: »
    Hunger has already gripped India, with the poor obvioulsy the first wave of casualties, with over crowded soup kitchens.
    Crowded supermakets at home, hamper the vulnerable and elderly most - but no one can question what is going on, and possible alternatives to full scale lockdowns, or even consider the South Korea approach where maneabgle life is occuring whilst maintaing best practises / social distancing etc.

It's possible you could follow the SK approach but they have to consider the resources that are here in the first instance. The growth of patients in ICU beds was a concern so they went beyond because it was growing at a rate that would put our ICU capacity under strain very soon.

It's not about a general concept of how it should be managed but the evolution of numbers and Ireland's capacity for serious cases

It's possible you could follow the SK approach but they have to consider the resources that are here in the first instance. The growth of patients in ICU beds was a concern so they went beyond because it was growing at a rate that would put our ICU capacity under strain very soon.

It's not about a general concept of how it should be managed but the evolution of numbers and Ireland's capacity for serious cases

I do understand - just think its important to raise questions - the best response to this virus seams a good immune system - excercise/outdoors and healthy food help give you this - in particular I worry that the elderly and vulberable in Ireland will not be able to source the right food and cause further problems - but obviously ther is no ideal solution , but i think all should be discussed, when we are dealing with so many unknowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0328/1126943-coronavirus-lab-test/ > things like this would be a game changer. As soon as we can "test test test" and get results back fast, we won't need lockdown. Hopefully, long before a vaccine could possibly be ready, we could have home tests for this, or drive through testing centers that actually work as we had been hoping they would (in terms of number of tests and speed of results)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Italy:
    86,498 > confirmed cases

10,950 > recovered

9,134 > dead

How many more of the remainder are going to recover we still don't know. At this point in Italy maybe 900 people are dying of this every day and the number is still climbing.

I hope we are all here to wake up in "a few months".

Italy are a little unlucky that the median age of infected was quite high (67) compared to say Ireland (44). The median age is beginning to fall in Italy, at last count it was 62.

Of course as infection rates level off which we have seen in recent days and then fall hopefully by next week the number of deaths should also begin to fall. As deaths lag infections they probably won't peak for another two weeks then fall off quite quickly

• Advertisement

I do understand - just think its important to raise questions - the best response to this virus seams a good immune system - excercise/outdoors and healthy food help give you this - in particular I worry that the elderly and vulberable in Ireland will not be able to source the right food and cause further problems - but obviously ther is no ideal solution , but i think all should be discussed, when we are dealing with so many unknowns.

And it's fine to raise these points but we need to find solutions for them while minimising the risk in line with the principle of the new measures. My Dad is in the < 70 group and is very physically fit and active so so he'll find it difficult but he has made things for himself to do. My brother will help with his shopping and we'll need to tap into the same community spirit whereby people volunteer to help those older people who have no family. The right food is still on sale.

Hopefully these measures have the desired impact quickly and the rates of growth in all elements of this fall back to <10% day on day

And it's fine to raise these points but we need to find solutions for them while minimising the risk in line with the principle of the new measures. My Dad is in the < 70 group and is very physically fit and active so so he'll find it difficult but he has made things for himself to do. My brother will help with his shopping and we'll need to tap into the same community spirit whereby people volunteer to help those older people who have no family. The right food is still on sale.

Hopefully these measures have the desired impact quickly and the rates of growth in all elements of this fall back to <10% day on day

this effect everybody, everywhere, my parents are old too, and I can't see them -
    Apart from a few clowns, I think most people I saw were behaving in a considered manner past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Sono Topolino

People in the running forum discussing ways to avoid detection when abusing the 2km rule.

This is why we need a real lockdown. People are not taking this seriously.

this effect everybody, everywhere, my parents are old too, and I can't see them -
    Apart from a few clowns, I think most people I saw were behaving in a considered manner past 2 weeks.

I know. It isn't easy on anyone. Hopefully it is just 2/3 weeks before some level of relaxation.

Many people were considered- though enough weren't - and this is aimed at containing it within households and minimise community spread.

While I don't enjoy it I see why it makes absolute sense and it's for the best given the way the numbers were rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

People in the running forum discussing ways to avoid detection when abusing the 2km rule.

This was never a lockdown, dopes are forming outside supermarkets.

The more restrictions imposed on the people the more they'll break them, also the guards have no powers to stop anyone from going anywhere.

The more restrictions imposed on the people the more they'll break them, also the guards have no powers to stop anyone from going anywhere.

People who have that attitude are shîtehawks though. Let's just hope they are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

the guards have no powers to stop anyone from going anywhere.

I thought they could arrest them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

CaoinDory wrote: »
    I thought they could arrest them?

No, powers were never signed by the health minister, they request you to do what they ask, in relation to the restrictions. Arresting people isn't going to do them any favors as they're on a PR drive of community policing.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

No, powers were never signed by the health minister, they request you to do what they ask, in relation to the restrictions. Arresting people isn't going to do them any favors as they're on a PR drive of community policing.

Jesus I'd support them for arresting the idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

lads who are not even in great shape removing barriers from public pull-up/monkey bars as they simply have to get their work out in irritate me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement