Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

aido79 wrote: »
    I understand all of that but how long do you lockdown for? Until a vaccine or cure is found?

Nobody know Aido. It will be many months.

They took drastic steps in China and it took them months. Now they are facing a second wave due to importing cases back in from foreign jurisdictions. Its becoming circular.

Right now we need to isolate and contain, to stop a spread that overwhelms our health system and results in thousands of needless deaths.

There are countless countries where their health system is no longer fit for purpose. Decimated by the numbers infected. Look at Italy and Spain.

UK and US next. There will limited medical gear available very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

STB. wrote: »
    Doom merchants! Get your head out of the sand. You obviously have no idea or refuse to acknowledge whats coming down the tracks.

HERES your EXPERT advise - we are struggling right now to even keep up with the testing phase and we don't have a handle on our numbers.

"We have a simple message for all countries: TEST TEST TEST

You must test and isolate

You cannot fight a fire blindfolded and we cannot stop this pandemic if we do not know who is infected."

WHO Director 16 March, 2020

Best thing you do, get off boards and lock yourself down. Please don't reply to me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Something well worth reading that attempts to answer some of the concerns in this thread: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

The author is not an epidemiologist or a medical practitioner but does seem to have done his homework and is getting quite a few endorsements and shares of his post from people who do have those kinds of qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No LOCKDOWN in sight. Govt suggests putting up polite signs that people will simply ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Doom merchants! Get your head out of the sand. You obviously have no idea or refuse to acknowledge whats coming down the tracks.

HERES your EXPERT advise - we are struggling right now to even keep up with the testing phase and we don't have a handle on our numbers.

You cannot fight a fire blindfolded and we cannot stop this pandemic if we do not know who is infected."

Which is fair enough. But I've seen stuff like "We're gonna be the next Italy" and that sort of rubbish from posters who really know no more than you or me.

If I'm not wrong, the WHO have praised the Irish response to this crisis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A question. Do face masks stop you spreading the virus if you have it?

I understand that they may not stop you contracting.

If they stop the spread then why arent govt supplying them to households or why dont they legislate to enforce the wearing of them during thos crisis.

Surgical masks will catch most of your breath/cough so will certainly make you less infectious.. but no they won't stop you spreading it. People will still have dirty hands and surfaces from either before putting on the mask or touching the mask or their face while wearing it. So less infectious but not totally stopped. You'd also need to dispose of and get a new mask very regularly.

Filtering masks will help stop you breathing in the virus (although you can still catch it in other ways) but they are usually fitted with a ventilator, so they won't protect others from you.

And they won't be given out to the general public because there is a shortage of them for the actual healthworkers who need them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

When did you argue for "test test test". He is saying test and isolate who you need to. That's a world away from an indefinite lockdown, with no exit strategy. Be like Korea, not like China. Not that China didn't work, but we cant do it.

It's also what I have continually suggested we do. Only technology can save the day, and the West needs to get moving on that fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

physioman wrote: »
    There has been a massive overreaction to the beach/park situation. I went to the beach yesterday with kids and yes it was busy, car park was busy but the thing people aren't getting is that cars were coming and going at different times. On the beach nobody was within 3 metres of each other. It was a joy to see the happiness on people's faces and the quality family time people were having.

It's common sense really. Wash your hands properly and frequently. Keep the physical distance.

I agree with you completely. Problem is some people seem to lack common sense. Ha

FVP3 wrote: »
    Source for confinement being part of the plan? Leo just said it wasn't, he was trying the Korean methodology - South Korea didn't even shut the schools.

The shut down of non essential services is already happening.
    Source!

If he was adopting the South Korean "methodology". He wouldnt have shut schools. He is following the WHO's latest guidelines. Test, Isolate, Contain. When that doesn't work, you use emergency powers at your disposal to double down in the public interest before its gets out of control. Not afterwards like Spain Italy etc

The emergency powers will allow them to shut pubs and other large gatherings.

Full lockdown isn't enforceable so it isn't going to happen. If it does happen a lot of middle class people will be indoors eating their pasta, while their dogs grow fat, while the feral youth kick balls against the door. Parts of Dublin are not policable now.

I suggest you read the Health (Preservation and Protection and other Emergency Measures in the Public Interest) Act 2020.

It gives the Minister for Health powers to restrict the movement of people; to detain people who have Covid-19 (or are carriers) but are refusing to self-isolate; and essentially quarantine entire areas and put them into lock-down. Those found to have breached certain restrictions will find themselves subject to fines and possible imprisonment.

Feral youth, fat dogs? Let it all out there FVP3. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

DeanAustin wrote: »
    If my understanding is correct - you get this virus by spending 10-15 mins within two metres or so of someone who is infected.

I went to the beach yesterday. Everyone on that beach, without fail, stayed at least two metres away from everyone else bar their immediate group (which were mainly their families). Yet, some posters seem to think this is dangerous. On the few occasions I have ventured out, social distancing has been observed pretty much without fail.

Am I missing something?

From what Ive seen people are observing social distancing in their own groups. Took a spin around the mountains on my motorbike yesterday and while it was very busy everyone was spread out and in their own family groups, I didnt see any problems.

I think the problems start when people decide to go and get a bite to eat. Theres a video going around of a queue of 100+ people for fish and chips outside Beshoffs in Howth yesterday and they were on top of each other. Think someone else said a Supermacs was mobbed with teenagers too, all on top of each other. Same happened at Glendalough, loads of people queing to get ice creams and they were all on top of each other so the Gardai shut it down.

The social distancing is working in the main but its when people go to eat that it breaks down from what Ive seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Here's a question though:
    If you knew a full lock-down was inevitable, would you prefer to do it now or later?

I'd prefer now as at least it would limit the spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Source for confinement being part of the plan? Leo just said it wasn't, he was trying the Korean methodology - South Korea didn't even shut the schools.

Korea did close its schools!

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Not in 1 week 2 weeks whatever, NOW!
    While most people are adhering to the health advice you cannot expect the gobshytes like those clowns packing beaches and parks to obey unless they are forced to.
    Shutdown NOW.

Anyone that agrees stick your name below.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/were-following-south-korean-model-in-coronavirus-fight-varadkar-plays-down-talk-of-lockdown-in-ireland-39067488.html

You have to weigh the options. If you establish full martial law then there will be more deaths from that.

If you completely lock everything down then you can cause a bigger problem with spread.

It spreads also the fecal-oral route so in apartments it might come up your shower pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

so many ill people that need to get outside it seems, as self isolation seems to make some go nuts, hysteric isnt a word to desribe this.

if in 4 months we had 3 recorded deaths to this virus, to top it off no one bothers to reduce numbers of those already known to be infected for well a month in and not show how many recovered, and boards just pilling stats on puts mentally sick at hysteric stage, without any need.

id say official stats only should be shown to officials to decide on way it will be handled, as seems we have many hypochondriac that would easily love to overwhelm entire system.

Lurching wrote: »
    Here's a question though:
    If you knew a full lock-down was inevitable, would you prefer to do it now or later?

I'd prefer now as at least it would limit the spread.

Completely agree. Get it over with sooner rather than later. For those self isolating already, doing it later would just feel like further punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

A question. Do face masks stop you spreading the virus if you have it?

I understand that they may not stop you contracting.

If they stop the spread then why arent govt supplying them to households or why dont they legislate to enforce the wearing of them during thos crisis.

No mask don't stop you getting it as it may still get in to your eyes or ears. Also unless you put on the mask probably and sterily then no it's no use. The N95 masks which are often talk about need to be assessed on doctors and nurses and to make sure they are doing it right water (sterilised) is squirted on there face.

If no water goes under the mask off they go if there is water back to doing it again. Also these masks are now becoming overly expensive to buy as they get them from the same manufacture all other places do.

So washing hands keeping your distance and sneeze and cough into a tissue (and bin it) or you arm is the things we can do.

So how about people show we can use our own heads and do things proper rather then showing the government we can't follow rules and have to turn us into a nanny state

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Nermal wrote:
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

Jesus wept. What a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Nobody know Aido. It will be many months.

They took drastic steps in China and it took them months. Now they are facing a second wave due to importing cases back in from foreign jurisdictions. Its becoming circular.

Right now we need to isolate and contain, to stop a spread that overwhelms our health system and results in thousands of needless deaths.

There are countless countries where their health system is no longer fit for purpose. Decimated by the numbers infected. Look at Italy and Spain.

UK and US next. There will limited medical gear available very soon.

Your point about the second wave is exactly what I'm talking about. Even just one case after a lockdown and it all starts again. I agree that a lockdown would save a lot of lives and may need to be done to stop the health system from collapsing but the timing must be right.

The production of medical gear needs to be increased to give any chance of fighting this.
    I actually think both the UK and the US will overtake Italy in the death toll by the time this is all over due to complacency and poor leadership.

As I said before... lacking common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

CaoinDory wrote: »

deja vu

as someone once said

again

Best thing you do, get off boards and lock yourself down. Please don't reply to me again.

Best thing you can do is educate yourself, or get over yourself.

Doom merchants indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What evidence is there that a lockdown will be adhered to. Other countries that have done this have armies to keep people inside and armed cops. We have nothing on that scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

CaoinDory wrote: »
    Completely agree. Get it over with sooner rather than later. For those self isolating already, doing it later would just feel like further punishment.

I doesn’t work like that.
    It’s not a sooner or later option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Best thing you can do is educate yourself, or get over yourself.

Doom merchants indeed.

Clearly reading is an issue for you and yes DOOM merchants. Nothing better to do than wind themselves up and everyone stupid enough to listen to them.
    As for education my response to you and others with the same behaviour is done in the manner it is because of my ability to avoid FB , WhatsApp , YouTube and boards for knowledge.
    Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,155 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I was coming up Watermill Road by St Anne's park in Raheny yesterday and there was a group of lads by the outdoor gym thing with pull up bars etc training on the bars, and a couple of them grappling on the ground, it must have been some kind of MMA group. This is what we're up against!

Disclaimer - I was on my bike and I go out once a day alone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

niallo27 wrote: »
    What evidence is there that a lockdown will be adhered to. Other countries that have done this have armies to keep people inside and armed cops. We have nothing on that scale.

we actually do have an army, and a huge amount of armed Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Anyone on here calling for a complete shutdown potentially wrecking the lives and economy for millions should list their medical qualifications and expertise.

Otherwise I'd encourage people to listen and adhere to the advice from the WHO, HSE and qualified professionals.

We are not Italy. We shutdown pubs and should and the GAA, soccer and Rugby shutdown. We have introduced social distancing. Italy did not of these things until the horse had well and truly bolted.

Social distancing will see us through this and help us manage the crisis without the need for a full lockdown. Lets all play our part and keep the show on the road.

Korea did close its schools!

This is what South Korea did.

They got their testing regime right from day one. They were doing 20,000 tests per day. (They got the genetic sequence for testing and used pharma companies help)

They isolated people infected.

They used technology to monitor people.

They monitor people coming in and out the country at the entry points.

They have a state of the art medical system.

As explained here by their Foreign Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

we actually do have an army, and a huge amount of armed Gardai

You think its enough to man the whole country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement