Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want a shutdown NOW!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

People can't stay indoors indefinitely.

This post intrigues me. What about the people who have such severe immun deficincys that they live their lives in a buuble within a house? Those people who have such severe conditions that they are forced to live their lives in a hospital bed and never go outside?

People can stay indoors indefinitely if they have to.
    I think that statement is unfair to some.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

CaoinDory wrote: »
    This post intrigues me. What about the people who have such severe immun deficincys that they live their lives in a buuble within a house? Those people who have such severe conditions that they are forced to live their lives in a hospital bed and never go outside?

Come off it, its as damaging to their mental health as it is for anyone else that would be subjected to it now.

Anyone with an elderly parent or whatever, whose health has deteriorated and they have become home or bed bound will tell you the damage it has done to their sense of self and desire for life. In fact it often hastens death.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Come off it, its as damaging to their mental health as it is for anyone else that would be subjected to it now.

Anyone with an elderly parent or whatever, whose health has deteriorated and they have become home or bed bound will tell you the damage it has done to their sense of self and desire for life. In fact it often hastens death.

I never said anything to the contrary. Mental health is taking a big hit at the moment. Which I know personally!

I am merely addressing your statement that said "people can't stay inside indefinitely". They can. They shouldnt have to and its not the best mental health wise and, again, I am still favouring correct use of social distancing... but if needs must, people CAN stay inside indefinitely. Its just not ideal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

CaoinDory wrote: »

I think everyone could do with 20 minutes of sunshine a day.
    Its easier for me to accept a lockdown as over the wall of my house I've square miles of limestone, valleys and hazel words.
    I cannot see the establishment driving around these areas of Ireland checking up on people to be honest.
    A 5 minute walk and im in the thick of it, would I shut myself in for a few weeks, I could for the greater good in solidarity with my fellow human beings.
    As I have all the time in the world to get back out there.

Id do it if it helps for everyone, because there's no point in being a sanctimonious pr1cK boasting about my freedom while others are held inside for weeks.

So I'm accepting this could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The people who are calling for a lockdown "for however long it takes" should reacquaint themselves with the devastation caused by the Great Depression of the 1930's, the millions of lives foreshortened by malnutrition, hypothermia and lack of basic healthcare. Far, far more than covid 19 will ever claim.
    On another point, the median age of the deceased in Italy is 80.5! That's a fine age to last for. What do some people here think happens when you hit your eighty's?
    What happens is, you get sick and then you die. Why is that such a shock for some people.

Well for my grandmother another 23 years and all but last 5 years was in better shape then me at times. My mother did not reach 80 she died of a tumour and watching her die over the last few months was torture so EXCUSE ME AND OTHERS who do not want to see there loved ones die so you can go out and about and go on your fabulous holiday. If you show you can follow the advice given then we can all get through this and no lockdown would be needed. But unfortunately some lockdown will be needed because of people who don't want to see short term pain for health for everyone.

Also are you forgetting those who are not old but have underlying health issue f£$% them also I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

For me, one key benefit to a 2-week lockdown is that there are no more (or much much fewer) 'unaware positives' who think they are fine but are actually spreading the virus as they go about their business.

That makes things so much more manageable from then on.

nthclare wrote: »
    I could for the greater good in solidarity with my fellow human beings.
    As I have all the time in the world to get back out there.

Id do it if it helps for everyone, because there's no point in being a sanctimonious pr1cK boasting about my freedom while others are held inside for weeks.

So I'm accepting this could happen.

Absolutely agree. This is not something I want to do. This is not something I should have to do. But thanks to certain people, I may very well have to.

And I will. (Probably not without complaint as my anxiety and depression will fight against me every step of the way) because it has to be done.

As for my comment on people who DO have to live their lives like this... I think it is unfair to claim that it "is impossible". Its not ideal and NEVER wanted... but it is possible as an inspiring few have proven. I think its unfair to make such a statement when, once this is over, we can escape to the outside world. Some cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Well for my grandmother another 23 years and all but last 5 years was in better shape then me at times. My mother did not reach 80 she died of a tumour and watching her die over the last few months was torture so EXCUSE ME AND OTHERS who do not want to see there loved ones die so you can go out and about and go on your fabulous holiday. If you show you can follow the advice given then we can all get through this and no lockdown would be needed. But unfortunately some lockdown will be needed because of people who don't want to see short term pain for health for everyone.

Also are you forgetting those who are not old but have underlying health issue f£$% them also I suppose

Good for her, but it doesn't change the fact the median lifespan in Ireland 84 and 80.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Good for her, but it doesn't change the fact the median lifespan in Ireland 84 and 80.5.

Even if that’s true, it’s irrelevant. The median lie expectancy of someone 80 years old is not 84.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Even if that’s true, it’s irrelevant. The median lie expectancy of someone 80 years old is not 84.

What about the people in their 60s or 50s who are dying? The younger people with underlying issues?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This is very serious for everyone. Some more than others but if you watch the stuff coming out of Italy (and now other locations) its quite clear that this is a danger to all.

Young people recover but some require critical care or even ventilation. When those things arent available (because they are all already gone to other young people for example) the mortality rate sky rockets for the young. This isnt just about "old people" and "sick people". It will impact everyone. And that shouldnt matter to you anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

DeVore wrote: »
    This is very serious for everyone. Some more than others but if you watch the stuff coming out of Italy (and now other locations) its quite clear that this is a danger to all.

Young people recover but some require critical care or even ventilation. When those things arent available (because they are all already gone to other young people for example) the mortality rate sky rockets for the young. This isnt just about "old people" and "sick people". It will impact everyone. And that shouldnt matter to you anyway....

Stop scaremongering, the vast majority 94 to 98 percent of contracted cases are not fatal, and that includes young, immunosuppressed and elderly people

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

McCrack wrote: »
    Stop scaremongering, the vast majority 94 to 98 percent of contracted cases are not fatal, and that includes young, immunosuppressed and elderly people
    YOU are scaremongering by repeating the truth. The truth is scary.
    94% is a low survival rate. If 6% of people who get this die millions and millions and millions of people will die. The Spanish flu killed only 2% and killed 50-100 million people

The death rate for people who are tested in Italy right now is 9%

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I was out on several Wexford beaches over the weekend , I didn’t see any massive crowds and people stayed many metres away from each other , the noticeable exception being a few young people.

I was in homestore, very good social distancing and controls in the shop, today I was on the beach , and then shopping in Dunne’s and Tesco, again good social distancing and procedures seems to be working , overall very quite ( a handful on a huge beach )

To me , while a few idiots are clearly not co-operating , in general , it’s working quite well. I don’t think it warrants much extra controls , other then shutting a few major open areas within reach of Dublin. ( or lock Dubliners in lol )

Ps; would you mind leaving the odd bag of flour in the shops pleases :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

For how long?

Two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

WHEN WE'RE SCARED WE BAKE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The evidence is those that recover from any sort of serious bout they can loose 10-30% lung function permanently

This is not some form of mild flu

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

BoatMad wrote: »
    The evidence is those that recover from any sort of serious bout they can loose 10-30% lung function permanently

This is not some form of mild flu
    Not evidence just a possibility from a very small study and cardio exercise may resolve it.

https://www.sciencealert.com/even-those-who-recover-from-corona-can-be-left-gasping-for-breath-afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Huh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Whats the point closing down parks and public places. People tend to be more spread out in those places thus its harder for the virus to spread. Clusters of people should be broken up though or told to move along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

YFlyer wrote: »
    Two months.

And what after the 2 months?
    Keep the island locked down?
    Do we put a hard border between us and the North?

What happens when it comes back into the country again

UK now on lockdown. Time for us to do the same.

Johnson's address tonight:
    Good evening,

The coronavirus is the biggest threat this country has faced for decades – and this country is not alone.

All over the world we are seeing the devastating impact of this invisible killer

And so tonight I want to update you on the latest steps we are taking to fight the disease and what you can do to help.

And I want to begin by reminding you why the UK has been taking the approach that we have.

Without a huge national effort to halt the growth of this virus, there will come a moment when no health service in the world could possibly cope; because there won’t be enough ventilators, enough intensive care beds, enough doctors and nurses.

And as we have seen elsewhere, in other countries that also have fantastic health care systems, that is the moment of real danger.

To put it simply, if too many people become seriously unwell at one time, the NHS will be unable to handle it – meaning more people are likely to die, not just from coronavirus but from other illnesses as well.

So it’s vital to slow the spread of the disease.

Because that is the way we reduce the number of people needing hospital treatment at any one time, so we can protect the NHS’s ability to cope – and save more lives.

And that’s why we have been asking people to stay at home during this pandemic.

And though huge numbers are complying – and I thank you all – the time has now come for us all to do more.

From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction – you must stay at home.

Because the critical thing we must do is stop the disease spreading between households.

That is why people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible

one form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household;

any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and

travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home.

That’s all – these are the only reasons you should leave your home.

You should not be meeting friends. If your friends ask you to meet, you should say No.

You should not be meeting family members who do not live in your home.

You should not be going shopping except for essentials like food and medicine – and you should do this as little as you can. And use food delivery services where you can.

If you don’t follow the rules the police will have the powers to enforce them, including through fines and dispersing gatherings.

To ensure compliance with the Government’s instruction to stay at home, we will immediately:

close all shops selling non-essential goods, including clothing and electronic stores and other premises including libraries, playgrounds and outdoor gyms, and places of worship;

we will stop all gatherings of more than two people in public – excluding people you live with;

and we’ll stop all social events, including weddings, baptisms and other ceremonies, but excluding funerals.

Parks will remain open for exercise but gatherings will be dispersed.

No prime minister wants to enact measures like this.

I know the damage that this disruption is doing and will do to people’s lives, to their businesses and to their jobs.

And that’s why we have produced a huge and unprecedented programme of support both for workers and for business.

And I can assure you that we will keep these restrictions under constant review. We will look again in three weeks, and relax them if the evidence shows we are able to.

But at present there are just no easy options. The way ahead is hard, and it is still true that many lives will sadly be lost.

And yet it is also true that there is a clear way through.

Day by day we are strengthening our amazing NHS with 7500 former clinicians now coming back to the service.

With the time you buy – by simply staying at home – we are increasing our stocks of equipment.

We are accelerating our search for treatments.

We are pioneering work on a vaccine.

And we are buying millions of testing kits that will enable us to turn the tide on this invisible killer.

I want to thank everyone who is working flat out to beat the virus.

Everyone from the supermarket staff to the transport workers to the carers to the nurses and doctors on the frontline.

But in this fight we can be in no doubt that each and every one of us is directly enlisted.

Each and every one of us is now obliged to join together.

To halt the spread of this disease.

To protect our NHS and to save many many thousands of lives.

And I know that as they have in the past so many times.

The people of this country will rise to that challenge.

And we will come through it stronger than ever.

We will beat the coronavirus and we will beat it together.

And therefore I urge you at this moment of national emergency to stay at home, protect our NHS and save lives.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I imagine this might nudge our policy in the same direction sooner rather than later...

Johnson's address tonight:

No we should not. UK is a far more densely populated country than we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Not really. It’s a half lockdown.
    They can still go out for essentials, once a day for exercise and to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

BoatMad wrote: »

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

:

Nope. The ****ed things up so much at the start from Cheltenham to leaving the pubs open to keeping the tube running, that they're on a whole different curve to us.

And even now they can still work.

It's not a lockdown, they're closing the high street.

If there is going to be lockdowns here then it should be targeted only to hotspot areas, not nationwide

Not really. It’s a half lockdown.
    They can still go out for essentials, once a day for exercise and to go to work.

Is that not similar to other lockdowns (Italy, Spain, France). The only difference is the exercise bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Nermal wrote: »
    Nobody's forcing you to go out. You are free to shutdown by yourself. The rest of us may have a different risk tolerance to you, and can make our own decisions.

as i said in another thread...

i've no problem with a family being in close proximity esp a family from the same household > its unavoidable.........but its aquanitices & strangers having group chats that's annoying....there's plenty of remote spots in this country that people can find, everyone needs exercise after all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement