Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Garden Question

• 23-03-2020 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Our neighbours have started building an unannounced extension today. They only told us yesterday by posting a letter. While its their property and single story I have no legal objections, or personal objections if times were normal, and they are within their right.

I do have a practical question. Is my child in danger being in the back garden? There is a wood panel fence separating the properties, the builders are building to within 3 feet of this fence so will regularly within the 2 meter recommendation if my child is near our fence?

I understand I'm probably being overly caution but my first priority is to protecting my child so is the back garden, certainly near the fence off limits?

Thank you for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

SamirNovus wrote: »
    Our neighbours have started building an unannounced extension today. They only told us yesterday by posting a letter. While its their property and single story I have no legal objections, or personal objections if times were normal, and they are within their right.

I do have a practical question. Is my child in danger being in the back garden? There is a wood panel fence separating the properties, the builders are building to within 3 feet of this fence so will regularly within the 2 meter recommendation if my child is near our fence?

I understand I'm probably being overly caution but my first priority is to protecting my child so is the back garden, certainly near the fence off limits?

Thank you for any advice

When they are there don't let the child out.

Another option would be to put in an exclusion zone and keep the child furth back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

if the development is an exempted development, ie at the rear of the house and less than 40m2, not higher than the main house, then they can do it.
    You can object to them personally but they are under no obligation to entertain the objection.

I'd say just keep your child in, or limit them to half way down the garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It's not like the virus is radioactive and distance between you and it is the only factor at play, exercise your judgement, could the builders spit, cough or sneeze through the fence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's unlikely your child would catch something from the builders but it may be best to keep the child inside while they are out there.
    Also check your garden for debris/nails etc from the construction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

plant shrubs :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SamirNovus

Thanks all. I appreciate the responses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Theres going to be an awful lost of noise and dust in the air from construction so regardless of the virus your back garden wont be a nice place to be until it is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

This thread doesn't really belong here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,194 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP has appropriate responses and I'm closing this up to allow more prominence to threads of wider application

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement