Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor aerial - Philips TV - Saorview

• 23-03-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I have a Philips Ambilight Android TV with a built in tuner. The house is in North Strand. Bought an aerial from eBay last week to have Saorview available. The TV is in a room where I can't put the aerial at a window and I can't pick up any channels at all. Only other thing I can think of is that I bought the TV in the UK but it asks what country I'm in when going through the setup menu.

Any tips aside from moving the tv / different aerial?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you're north of Newcomen Bridge (Royal Canal) then you're probably in a dip with no view (from ground level) of Kippure or Three Rock. I suspect a rooftop aerial will be the only solution. Do any of your neighbours have aerials on their chimneys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I am north of that, yes. I actually unwould all the cable on the aerial, held it out in the hallway and got 38 channels. Moving 30cm to the left back to the TV location killed the signal completely unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

It has been said many times, do I need to say it again? Indoor aerials are generally useless, particularly ones that don't even look like an aerial.
    Get an outside aerial as the broadcasters intend.

winston_1 wrote: »
    It has been said many times, do I need to say it again? Indoor aerials are generally useless, particularly ones that don't even look like an aerial.

Indoor aerials are not 'generally useless'. There are people in Athlone using indoor aerials to pick up Cairn Hill which is 45 kms away.

And broadcasters do not 'intend' that everyone uses an external aerial. For example, while the Saorview website recommends an external aerial, they also say ...
    In some areas, a good quality aerial in your attic or living room may suffice

You are a one-trick pony who repeats the same generalisations over and over again, you contribute nothing of any value to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I live in Cork City. I have an indoor aerial, cost like €8. Works perfectly, no need to worry about getting an aerial installed on roof and wired... There are places for them, there are places where they won't work, but you can't generalise that much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

the device your connecting the aerial to may also impact on the saorview reception

i had a triax tsc114 box and the saorview reception was dodgy to say the least
    got new zgemma box and saorview reception is now perfect (same aerial in the same place)

coylemj wrote: »
    Indoor aerials are not 'generally useless'. There are people in Athlone using indoor aerials to pick up Cairn Hill which is 45 kms away.

Of course there are exceptions but I still say they are generally useless.

And broadcasters do not 'intend' that everyone uses an external aerial.

The terrestrial network is designed for external aerials 10 metres high. Of course there are exceptions very near the transmitters. Trouble is people buy crappy so called aerials and expect them to work anywhere.

The terrestrial network is designed for external aerials 10 metres high. Of course there are exceptions very near the transmitters. Trouble is people buy crappy so called aerials and expect them to work anywhere.

The height (I assume you mean above the ground) is completely dependant on the topography of the area between you and the transmitter and your elevation above sea level. Throwing out a single number like 10m is complete nonsense. My sister lives in a bungalow so her rooftop aerial is no more than 5m above the ground and she picks up Mt. Leinster which is 65 kms away.

Why do you endlessly repeat the same rubbish? Get a hobby - collect stamps, do crochet but FFS stop this constant garbage.

The height (I assume you mean above the ground) is completely dependant on the topography of the area between you and the transmitter and your elevation above sea level. Throwing out a single number like 10m is complete nonsense. My sister lives in a bungalow so her rooftop aerial is no more than 5m above the ground and she picks up Mt. Leinster which is 65 kms away.

Why do you endlessly repeat the same rubbish? Get a hobby - collect stamps, do crochet but FFS stop this constant garbage.

The broadcasters say that their network is designed around outside aerials 10m high.

DON'T accuse me of talking rubbish. Take it up with the broadcasters if you think they are talking rubbish.

• Advertisement

The broadcasters say that their network is designed around outside aerials 10m high.

DON'T accuse me of talking rubbish. Take it up with the broadcasters if you think they are talking rubbish.

Which broadcasters recommend an aerial at 10m height?

Link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I've decided that too much TV is bad for me, you can all stop arguing now. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My reply to you on this back in 2015
    The Cush wrote: »
    No they don't :rolleyes:. The 10m a.g.l. figure is used in coverage prediction models for the Saorview network not where you should mount the aerial. 2RN recommend an outdoor aerial but have never said it should be 10m a.g.l.

There are other broadcasters than 2RN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

2rn operate the only terrestrial broadcast transmission network in this country.

Go on then, I'll accept a foreign broadcaster.

Give us a link to one who recommends an external aerial that is precisely (you never said 'at least' or 'minimum') 10m above ground level.

Advertisement