Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIT BUT BEING TOLD NOT TO COME IN TO WORK

Options
  • 23-03-2020 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

OK, OH received a work related call from his boss at almost 10pm last night, despite the fact that he is in work at 5.30 am

Whilst on this call , OH coughed, not related to virus, but he has just given up smoking.
    Boss told him not to come in today . He has not been let go.

So now, despite being well, cannot work, and has to use vital health resources to get certified as negative?

Surely this cannot be right? He cannot claim the new welfare payment as he is still in employment, cannot claim illness benefit because he is not ill , and because he is not ill will have to wait god knows how long to be tested.

There is no underlying condition, they work outside , and the same boss saw him really ill before christmas and didn't bat an eyelid when he was struggling to work.

Its a small company , but to me the boss is just being opportunist, its a few days/weeks wages he doesnt have to pay , but leaves my OH high and dry

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Firstly the boss cannot certify you as fit or unfit for work or otherwise, either in person or over the phone. They are not qualified.

The error here was on the behalf of your OH. If a boss rang me at 10pm there would be fûck all chance of the phone getting answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

fupduck wrote: »

So now, despite being well, cannot work, and has to use vital health resources to get certified as negative?

Its a small company , but to me the boss is just being opportunist, its a few days/weeks wages he doesnt have to pay , but leaves my OH high and dry

Any advice?

Had a family member in the same situation last week. Its not possible to get a cert stating he is covid 19 free, only a fit to work cert if he is well enough to attend work.

I dont know what contract your OH has but she had to accept 2 days off unpaid while waiting for a GP appointment to get the fit to work cert. The work roster was rewritten and magically she was given another 2 days off when she rang saying she had the fit to work cert.

Does your OH's contract say they are entitled to sick pay from the employer?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

Not entitled to sick pay , and with the way things are , could be days waiting for a doctors appointment.
    He genuinely is not unwell , we have all been so careful

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭CaoinDory

I'd be telling oh to head on into work and if the boss wants to send him home, tell him to supply him with appropriate papers to help.him get funding.

Boss sounds like a gob****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 KkJay18

fupduck wrote: »
    OK, OH received a work related call from his boss at almost 10pm last night, despite the fact that he is in work at 5.30 am

Whilst on this call , OH coughed, not related to virus, but he has just given up smoking.
    Boss told him not to come in today . He has not been let go.

Surely this cannot be right? He cannot claim the new welfare payment as he is still in employment, cannot claim illness benefit because he is not ill , and because he is not ill will have to wait god knows how long to be tested.

There is no underlying condition, they work outside , and the same boss saw him really ill before christmas and didn't bat an eyelid when he was struggling to work.

Any advice?

I think your OH’s boss is just being cautious, you cant blame him for that. Seems like he’s taking it seriously and good on him. We have heard all the HSE guidelines if any symptoms at all call your doctor. My place of work has insisted we are all in the full of our health at work, called my doctor today coz of a cough and he has advised they have seen so many community cases starting off with a harmless cough. I’ve been told to self isolate for 2 weeks and test is being arranged. I would recommended your OH call their doctor, they are the only ones in the position to advise if they are well or not. I would totally say I’m fine too but unfortunately cannot go to work

• Advertisement
Advertisement