Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Lazare wrote: »
    There ya go.

Cheers, that was easy to donate

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Itziger wrote: »
    Other than poor ol B and the other few sick and injured, how's the taper going!?!

I'm halfway through. Started yesterday and putting the final touches on today. What say the geniuseseses of Boards A&R? What's the pre race-day shakeout for this 5k lark?

Stop drinking a little earlier than normal - maybe start sobering up around 4pm

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'm halfway through. Started yesterday and putting the final touches on today. What say the geniuseseses of Boards A&R? What's the pre race-day shakeout for this 5k lark?

Are there any? While others are relaxing at the weekend this bunch of misfits have found a way to make ourselves hurt ,and, to top it all off we are worrying about it and how we stack up with a bunch of people who most of us up until this week only knew under pseudo names such as sweatlicker and Pherekydes (who despite being around since I first set up an account am only putting a name to finally and once for all quashing my initial notions of a mythical tanned Greek goddess with an in depth knowledge of all things track and field)

In all seriousness though my taper has been nothing more than dial back effort of a progression run, stay off the booze tonight, no leg work with the S and C today and pray to god the little lad allows me a rare full night sleep.

I may be cheeky and bust out the compression boots but that might be a little hypocritical given my stance on the Nike tech haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

KSU wrote:
    I may be cheeky and bust out the compression boots but that might be a little hypocritical given my stance on the Nike tech haha

And most importantly what runners are you wearing???

And most importantly what runners are you wearing???

My two year olds Toms , the come in at roughly half the weight of my last pair, all about this marginal gains and has to be worth a few seconds atleast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

OOnegative wrote: »
    Apologies lads, the gofundme page towards Little Blue Heroes was never set up, I will try get it sorted by tomorrow evening.

I myself am out of this, won’t bore ye all with details, let’s say I’ll be self isolating for the next two weeks & the pain I experienced for a period of 36 hours or so since Tuesday afternoon is pain I wouldn’t wish any of you to experience.

Sh*t...all the best with the recovery. Get well and come back stronger for the next one.
    Thanks so much for organising, its great having something to look forward too, I think, haven't been this nervous since last year's DCM :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

crisco10 wrote: »
    Yup Agreed. I just donated directly on the page...

https://www.littleblueheroes.org/

Donation made; easy peasy. Thanks for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Get well soon,B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sorry I am going to pull out of this and just continue on my aerobic fitness plan.

Haven't got my head into a place where I can do speedwork with no proper race coming up and I am really enjoying my runs right now.

Great idea though, if there is a 10 miler or half marathon one later on I could be convince :)

Good luck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭yido1882

Apologies lads, the gofundme page towards Little Blue Heroes was never set up, I will try get it sorted by tomorrow evening.

I myself am out of this, won’t bore ye all with details, let’s say I’ll be self isolating for the next two weeks & the pain I experienced for a period of 36 hours or so since Tuesday afternoon is pain I wouldn’t wish any of you to experience.

Sorry to hear that, get well soon, thanks again for organising

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Hope you recover quickly B.

My tapering has involved Joe Wicks PE with the kids this morning so I'm knackered now. I've never ran a virtual race so It'll be interesting to see if I can manage to fight off the demons at mile 2 or will I give up a little easier when its just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Other than poor ol B and the other few sick and injured, how's the taper going!?!

I had a lie in to 7am
    Oh, and less trampolining today too :D
    My chief concern is getting the body to function before I leave the house in the morning :(

And as the others have said B, thank you for setting this up, for the motivation and the craic and I hope you feel better soon enough to participate in the next one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

A jog and a few strides to check in functioning.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    A jog and a few strides to check in functioning.

Do you then check into a ditch? Or head back home :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭healy1835

I had a lie in to 7am

Living the dream! ;)

• Advertisement

I had a lie in to 7am

Forget the race report I wanna hear what this was like

5am start for me. Who can beat that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Lambay island

You beat me by 15 mins anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm so good, I get up before I go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Jaysus do you have a competitive streak for everything;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Jaysus do you have a competitive streak for everything;)

There I was thinking I'd top the leaderboard starting at 6:30. It will have to be 4:45 so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'm so good, I get up before I go to bed.

Wrong forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I've calibrated my footpod and made my donation on https://www.littleblueheroes.org/donate
    Was there anything else I was supposed to do and have forgotten about? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    Hope you recover quickly B.

My tapering has involved Joe Wicks PE with the kids this morning so I'm knackered now. I've never ran a virtual race so It'll be interesting to see if I can manage to fight off the demons at mile 2 or will I give up a little easier when its just me.

Haven't been near Joe Wicks but have been doing random stuff with the kids. I posted in my log that I took part in some silly races with them on Tuesday (a lot of hops and crawls). My legs have been in bits since. More specifically my thighs. So my taper has been to rest up. Back to about 90% now so will go for a leg stretch later to double check my route.

Enjoy the run and the weather everyone.

Jaysus do you have a competitive streak for everything

This is one id be happy to lose on. Little fella seems to think night is day. And this is one of the rare households where the husband has the monitor and the wife has the earplugs..............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

It shows how little has happened in lockdown, turned to my wife today and was like "fun weekend ahead", we have takeaway tonight, time trial on saturday and a quiz on sunday.....the bar is lowwwwwww. lol

I'm about an hour away from starting to lay out my gear for the run.

I've also signed up a bunch of my whatsapp groups to the time trial tomorrow too..seems everyone is as bored!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

crisco10 wrote: »
    It shows how little has happened in lockdown, turned to my wife today and was like "fun weekend ahead", we have takeaway tonight, time trial on saturday and a quiz on sunday.....the bar is lowwwwwww. lol

I'm about an hour away from starting to lay out my gear for the run.

I've also signed up a bunch of my whatsapp groups to the time trial tomorrow too..seems everyone is as bored!

Laying out the gear, $hit, I'd nearly forgotten!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭racersedge

First off, hope you are feeling okay and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Unlikely to run myself with this now. Had a niggle in what, at least according to any muscle diagrams on Google is, a lower abdominal pain. Had hoped a bit of time taking it easy would cure it but just hasn't gone away sufficiently. (Not that actually not running has made it subside massively either...) I could run, but don't want to risk doing something that aggravates it, particularly as it's not like we can even pop down to a physio to get something ironed out (even though it is absolutely killing me not been out there at the moment).

Sucks because I was looking forward to it, but hopefully a week off will mend things enough that I can get back out on the road rather than this been anything too prolonged.

racersedge wrote: »
    First off, hope you are feeling okay and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Unlikely to run myself with this now. Had a niggle in what, at least according to any muscle diagrams on Google is, a lower abdominal pain. Had hoped a bit of time taking it easy would cure it but just hasn't gone away sufficiently. (Not that actually not running has made it subside massively either...) I could run, but don't want to risk doing something that aggravates it, particularly as it's not like we can even pop down to a physio to get something ironed out (even though it is absolutely killing me not been out there at the moment).

Sucks because I was looking forward to it, but hopefully a week off will mend things enough that I can get back out on the road rather than this been anything too prolonged.

*** Not a diagnosis****

Depending on what movements aggravate the issue worth also looking at psoas muscle as it is a common enough runner problem muscle and you lies deeper than lower abs which can see it mistaken as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Vapor Flys ready, routhe measured ( a nice 60m drop). Any idea where to get compression socks from, need to go full wanker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Jaysus, if the weather tomorrow is anything like today, it'll be an early start for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

jamule wrote: »
    Vapor Flys ready, routhe measured ( a nice 60m drop). Any idea where to get compression socks from, need to go full wanker!

Go for the obvious one. https://www.compressionsocks.ie/ :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Is it too late to jump in?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Thought I had called a target time a few wks ago...given current fitness and having a quad niggle during all of April, I reckon 16:40 is as good as I will manage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Proper race week taper here: easy spin on Monday, easy run with strides and 1/2 mile at race pace on Tuesday, rest on Wednesday then a 30' recovery run yesterday. Left knee a bit niggly this morning (did I overdo the one and only speed session in ages??) so jumped on the bike for a final recce and to decide which way round I'll tackle the course. May go out for a couple of easy miles after work before the hardest decision of all: singlet or short sleeves? Ah, the madness ...

Incidentally, my bib never arrived in the post. Hope there's collection on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

66_Lad wrote: »
    Thought I had called a target time a few wks ago...given current fitness and having a quad niggle during all of April, I reckon 16:40 is as good as I will manage.

You told me but I told nobody else!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

woody1 wrote: »
    Is it too late to jump in?

FFS!!!

PM your name to me & join Strava group please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Name |Cat |Prediction|Actual|Adjusted
    ReeReeG|F|22:30||
    Hedgehoggy|F35|20:30||
    career move|F35|21:20||
    laura_ac3|F35|||
    Laineyfrecks|F40|20:30||
    Sussex18|F40|22:00||
    ariana’|F40|23:30||
    Bluesquare|F40|25:00||
    Younganne|F45|28:00||
    Annie get your Run|F45|29:00||
    juke|F50|||
    Damo2k9|M|||
    KSU|M|||
    deconduo|M|24:00||
    pconn062|M|17:48||
    yiddo 1882|M|19:50||
    token56|M|20:30||
    Dudda|M35|18:00||
    justdoit|M35|19:20||
    duffyshuffle|M35|19:59||
    healy1835|M35|17:05||
    djemba djemba|M35|||
    Mellow Yellow26.2|M35|17:59||
    Butterbeans|M35|||
    Swashbuckler|M35|18:15||
    Guill|M35|||
    Omeceron|M35|21:59||
    racersedge|M35|21:30||
    Lambay Island|M35|17:45||
    quick feet|M35|18:45||
    IvoryTower|M35|19:25||
    diego_b|M35|22:00||
    Dubh G|M35|17:59||
    dickidy|M35|||
    Clash City Rocker|M35|17:59||
    zico10|M35|||
    OOnegative|M40|||
    shotgunmcos|M40|19:47||
    ComicBookGuy|M40|||
    average_runner|M40|21:20||
    Zebra3|M40|22:30||
    Marty Bird|M40|||
    adrian522|M40|25:00||
    66_Lad|M40|||
    dangerous quack|M40|18:45||
    Treviso|M40|17:59||
    Lazare|M40|19:50||
    mister paul|M40|19:48||
    ofthelord|M40|21:00||
    Singer|M40|19:59||
    spc78|M40|17:45||
    Ecoenergy|M40|19:45||
    Woody1 |M40|21:55||
    jamule|M45|17:45||
    krusty_clown|M45|17:30||
    coogy|M45|19:30||
    MrSkinny|M45|20:00||
    WubbleWubble|M45|21:30||
    Slow_Runner|M45|19:59||
    AuldManKing|M45|17:49||
    DeepBlue|M45|20:50||
    Sideswipe|M45|19:29||
    Kurt Godel|M45|21:00||
    ultrapercy|M45|16:59||
    Itziger|M50|18:30||
    skyblue46|M50|20:00||
    snailsong|M50|20:00||
    dna_leri|M50|17:30||
    BeepBeep67|M50|17:30||
    MisterDrak|M50|20:50||
    Speedy44|M50|21:59||
    TFBubendorfer|M50|21:00||
    EnPassant|M55|23:14||
    Murph_D|M55|21:00||
    Crisco10|M|19:10||
    wookiesleep|M40|19:45||
    MisterJinx|M40|||
    Pherekydes|M60|32:00||
    PaulieYifter|M45|18:45||
    MrMacPhisto|M35|18:10||
    Diablo Verde|M35|18:20||
    py|M35|24:00||

stiff enough 10k today so tomorrow will be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Sorry to hear this B, hope you get well soon.

Fair play on what you've got going here with this thread. It's great to see so much interest. I won't be taking part tomorrow but I'll be an interested spectator on here and strava - best of luck to everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

This is one id be happy to lose on. Little fella seems to think night is day. And this is one of the rare households where the husband has the monitor and the wife has the earplugs..............

What a legend your missus is :) We slept in till after 9 this morning which meant my son was late for homeschooling, lucky I'm the teacher :D

Ate a feast ice pop earlier, defo the highlight of my week! Gear is all laid out, new glistening white socks to wear with my fantastically bright orange vapourflys...now just to contain the excitement:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Just off to the expo now

Been there.

And now I am the light sleeper, so if kids budge I be the one up. They are older now, 7 and 9.

But its still me they call during the night

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

jamule wrote: »

Don't forget the over ear headphones and Ironman tattoo!

But its still me they call during the night

I feel better. Thought I was the only eejit. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Good luck All tomorrow. Will be watching with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Ate a feast ice pop earlier, defo the highlight of my week!

Good choice, but they're just not what they used to be.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Dear God the enthusiasm here almost has me feeling guilty about the few cold cans of Guinness in the fridge for tonight.....almost :pac:

Irrespective of the condition of the head in the morning I'm going with the flat route tomorrow, a boll0x I may be but a wanker I'm not :D

I feel better. Thought I was the only eejit. Haha

Enjoy it while it lasts, remember everything is a phase.

Kids bathed and down by 9
    Beer, burger, the Mandalorian
    Sleep in my gear
    Got to be done and dusted with it by 8am

Have fun y'all! Looking forward to following for the rest of the day. A badly needed day of "watching" "sport"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I've 3 choices, run down the hill, run up the hill, run laps of a football pitch

Safe to say I'm running down the hill, as if I'd let grass touch my beautiful new vaporflys

• Advertisement
Advertisement