Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

21:43
    Splits were 4:19 -4:28 - 4:26 - 4:18 - 4:11

Happy enough with it, think I may have left a few secs out there. Was been cautious so I wouldn't blow up. Fastest in 3 years, but still about 4mins of where I was 6 years ago :rolleyes:......looking forward to starting speedwork and been better prepared for the next one.

Now, is it too early for a beer (3 beers all week - not lockdown material at all :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Can someone throw up the link to the charity again sorry...

https://www.littleblueheroes.org

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

DCM might be the only other time I've seen so many Boardsies racing on the same day. Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

A few thoughts. Great reading all the posts here. What's with people running PBs?!?!?!

This should be almost physiologically and certainly psychologically IMPOSSIBLE!! I mean, there's people who race better than others, obviously, but running a 5k PB on your tod! That's just wrong.

And to finish up, for now: Didn't wear the Vap Flys and didn't include downhill. Feeling fairly pleased with myself for that. No video evidence (probably not a bad thing) as the young fella had a fall off the bike yesterday and is feeling sorry for himself and didn't join me.

Did someone say, Beer o' Clock?

20:36 for me! Slower than my prediction time but I am honestly thrilled with it. It's an unofficial PB for me. There's a few things i could have done differently but will learn for next time. Mentally & physically tough doing it alone so well done to everyone who goes out & completes it today :)

The lycra shorts that fit perfectly for my last race were a bit on the snug side haha time to focus on my eating habits now I think :eek:

Really enjoying seeing all the results come in! Cheers B for organising and donations made, also donated to Pieta House!

Pics or GT..... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Itziger wrote: »
    A few thoughts. Great reading all the posts here. What's with people running PBs?!?!?!

This should be almost physiologically and certainly psychologically IMPOSSIBLE!! I mean, there's people who race better than others, obviously, but running a 5k PB on your tod! That's just wrong.

And to finish up, for now: Didn't wear the Vap Flys and didn't include downhill. Feeling fairly pleased with myself for that. No video evidence (probably not a bad thing) as the young fella had a fall off the bike yesterday and is feeling sorry for himself and didn't join me.

I actually went close to my PB, and I think the only conclusion is that I'm in better shape now, and my PB is soft.

Avoided the temptation to go with the "fast" shoes too.

I actually went close to my PB, and I think the only conclusion is that I'm in better shape now, and my PB is soft.

Avoided the temptation to go with the "fast" shoes too.

Ah, I know, yeah. If people have old, soft 5k PBs then it is understandable. But if people run 'em and race 5k with a bit of regularity........

Wouldn't fancy trying to beat your marathon PB on yer own some Saturday morning, would ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Pics or GT..... ;)

Hahaha no one wants to see pics believe me! Not a pretty sight :eek:

Note to self...stop eating crap :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

A 5km is easier when it's followed by 7 more of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

17:48

Delighted with that. I took 2 or 3 weeks rest after Boston got postponed to manage a wee niggle. Only easy running and a few strides since starting back. So this was an opportunity to see where I am at.

I ran the Raheny Shamrock relay/summer/winter series loop (x3), which is just over a mile, mostly flat and with only three gentle turns per lap.

km1- 3:31. That was ok, I feel great :D
    km2- 3:30. Hmm, that was ok too... are 5k's not supposed to be tough???
    km3- 3:33. Alright, its beginning to hurt.... is this a 2 mile race? can I stop?
    km4- 3:34. Regrouped mentally, ignore the misery.
    km5- 3:37. Tough. HR high 180s, are we going to hit 190s? Felt like stopping with 600m to go, but the thought of random strangers virtually judging me (mainly Itziger) was enough to help me push on to the finish.

Great event, great for motivation and for mental toughness, felt like a race. Really enjoyed it. Well done to all involved :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

21:11 for 3.15 miles as per Strava, with Porterstown Park as the venue.

Same gives me a 5k PB of 20:45 ? In short - I ran the first k in 3:47, not a chance of me hanging on to that pace. The remaining kilometres were each well over 4 minutes.

Great to be able to do it so early in the day though. Thanks to OOnegative for organising!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

17.46/17.48 for me, delighted with the run. Over 1 min improvement from my 5k PB. I'd forgotten how tough these 5ks are. 1st mile was ok but was torture for the last 2. Crumbled to a heap afterwards but remembered to stop the watch as I did!!

Thanks for organising, great to see all the race efforts coming through on Strava

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

19.59 on the watch strava says 20.01 changed my mind on where I was running this morning so that accounts for the difference . Downhill with the wind 😂 . Still tough lot of bargains were made along the way . After 4 months endurance low heart rate stuff I'm glad that there's still some speed there .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

PB for me Itziger by 54 seconds :p

Seriously though I only ever ran one 5 k race and that was last year. One of my goals for 2020 was a sub 18 5k. So mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned.

I decided against going with a generous downhill route in the end as I wanted it to be a decent marker of where I'm at so picked as flat as I could.

Time: 17:51
    Splits: [3:31, 3:41, 3:35, 3:38, 3:26]
    Verdict: Delighted

Off to update my log :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

20:55. Happy enough. Barry had me down for 20 but that would have been difficult even on the flat course I had originally planned. The 2k radius confined me to super hilly area where I live. Once I got moving it felt surprisingly like a race. Heart rate well up and dont think I'd be much faster even with people to run against. This time last year I ran 19:00...really must try some training.

Kudos to Barry for organising and the other aul fellas like myself who'll never get sense.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

26.30 apparently. I had to run further on the course than the strava route suggested.

Anyway, about as unfit as I've ever been and flat out effort results in 8:33/mile. That was once an easy run.

Thanks to Barry for organising, good to get a good hard run in if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

20.03 for me as a Strava 5K PB - 26 seconds faster than my official PB. So close and yet so far!!

The course was very honest and my splits were poor 3.50 3.59 4.01 4.08 4.06 and made sure i ran to 5.1k. Knew I was going too fast for the first 2.5k uphill and struggled and slowed down on the downhill from 3k to4k where I should have made up time, lesson learned.....

Very tough doing it on your own however really happy with that time and know in a race with the extra push that i would get the sub 20, next time..... maybe should have gone to bed earlier and had a couple less beers but sure hey ho :-)

Thanks again, was great to have this to focus on for the last couple of weeks and well done everyone else, some smashing time, PB and efforts done this morning :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Delighted with that. I took 2 or 3 weeks rest after Boston got postponed to manage a wee niggle. Only easy running and a few strides since starting back. So this was an opportunity to see where I am at.

I ran the Raheny Shamrock relay/summer/winter series loop (x3), which is just over a mile, mostly flat and with only three gentle turns per lap.

km3- 3:33. Alright, its beginning to hurt.... is this a 2 mile race? can I stop?
    km5- 3:37. Tough. HR high 180s, are we going to hit 190s? Felt like stopping with 600m to go, but the thought of random strangers virtually judging me (mainly Itziger) was enough to help me push on to the finish.

Great event, great for motivation and for mental toughness, felt like a race. Really enjoyed it. Well done to all involved :D

Ha I was on the same loop too. What time were you there? I had the same thought of... Is this a 2 mile race, can I just stop where I usually do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

This thread has just been great to follow. Well done to B for setting it up and hope you're doing well. Well done to all for supporting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭ofthelord

Hi All, thanks for all the comments here and on Strava the last few weeks, it made it easier to get out and put in a few km each day with this 5km as a target.
    It was a couple of weeks ago when i decided to give this 5km TT a go - at the time i thought 21mins was a good target time, but thanks to daily runs the last 3 - 4 weeks my fitness/speed seems to have increased now.
    So went out this morning with a target time of 20 mins and finished in 19:56.
    There are no real flat areas within 2km of my house so had to make do with the uneven surface around the football field for 11 laps to get to 5km.
    Very happy to get under 20 mins when going in circles, and the last KM (and the last lap of the 11) was my quickest so happy I still had a bit of energy at the end...
    Splits:
    KM1 - 3:56
    KM2 - 4:04
    KM3 - 4:01
    KM4 - 4:01
    KM5 - 3:53

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Have simmered down a little since this morning's colossal f**k up.
    That run was tough, as 5k's should be, but that mistake at the end was a schoolboy error if ever there was one.

Huge thanks to B for organising.

Same time next week, yeah? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

17.40 (and donation to match made)

A last min course change due to the time of day meant a little more traffic on the course but in around initial prediction of 17.30. A lot of race rust as body wasn’t a fan of hurting after 2k and settled into a steadier effort rather than digging in still I will take that faster than some Parkruns I have ran solo when I was fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

coogy wrote: »
    Have simmered down a little since this morning's colossal f**k up.
    That run was tough, as 5k's should be, but that mistake at the end was a schoolboy error if ever there was one.

Huge thanks to B for organising.

Same time next week, yeah? ;)

Tallaght AC virtual 5k Thursday if you want a registration form =p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Super morning for it and great to read all the reports here and on Strava. Well done one and all. As for myself, 19:01 a virtual PB and 10 seconds faster than the real one. I didn't think I had that time in me at the moment and set out a bit conservatively. Picked it up well for the last mile and a bit.

Thanks again to B for organising this...its been a huge success and a very entertaining thread....

skyblue46 wrote:
    Thanks again to B for organising this...its been a huge success and a very entertaining thread....

Thread of the year... Make note peeps

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I was thinking to myself someone better remember to nominate this come year end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

That was painful, but fun. In hindsight, a route of 5 laps of 1k might not have been the best for morale.

Given my fitness levels, I was never going to be fast. However, being overtaken, at speed, by a man pushing a buggy and a dog, I really wanted to quit :pac:

Came in at 32:31 which is fair, and my face is still the colour of my new orange cap an hour later :o

Barry, thanks for organising, missed the post race banana though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

16:24, don't really know where that came from. Obviously the algorithms I used for my prediction were all wrong.

Is that three sub 17 so far?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Garmin has me at 20:28.

It was my first time using a workout on my Garmin and I didn't realize I still had to stop the activity so the watch ran on a bit after I had finished :o.

I'm pretty happy with at it, over 2 mins down on my 5K in January. I was bang on 20:00 pace for the first 2K but I just couldn't hold it.

A glorious day for it and as everyone else has said thank you very much Barry for organizing and hope you recover soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Time: 21:16
    Splits: 4.06, 4.21, 4.12, 4.17, 4.16

Tbh, a tad disappointed. Fairly well off my 5K PB of 20.52 which I had hoped to better today since I'm in the middle of a 5K specific training block and hoped that would show some improvement.

I'll hold on to some crumbs of comfort that I didn't taper and did some hefty mileage last week and my training routes are all hilly.
    Will give it another bash in 6/7 weeks at the end of the training block and hopefully get a better result.

Anyhows thanks a bunch to OONegative for organising. Get well soon.
    Donation made. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

20:54 and a first sub 21 minute 5k after a number of times going close. Had thought it would be harder alone but roads were nearly empty and weather was perfect. I was just able to run unimpeeded to the end.

Has increased my motivation to keep fitness levels up and to dream just a little bit of what I might do next year when we will hopefully be through this emergency. Donation made.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

DNS for me due to a dodgy leg, but well done to everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

19 Minutes for the 5KM - Couple of seconds off the PB and a lingering doubt that I may not have pushed hard enough at the end. Great conditions out there this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Been lurking on the thread the last week or so and great to see all the times coming in. Well done to everyone and especially B for organising. A real sense of what the Boards Athletics forum is all about.

Must get involved with the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Been lurking on the thread the last week or so and great to see all the times coming in. Well done to everyone and especially B for organising. A real sense of what the Boards Athletics forum is all about.

Must get involved with the next one.

Yeah, it's been a great thread even as a spectator. I'm blown away by the amount of super times under TT conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    Ha I was on the same loop too. What time were you there? I had the same thought of... Is this a 2 mile race, can I just stop where I usually do?

I think I was there just after 8 am. There was no virtual bearded man with a clipboard, nor a few carefully placed virtual supporters to give you the necessary shoutouts and encouragement en route :o

Knowledge of the loop was helpful and a hinderance at the same time if that's possible???

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭blackbird86

My local parkrun is just about within my 2km zone so I ran there. Went out a bit fast & felt spent by the end, came in at 26:45, a few seconds off my PB which I got at that parkrun in January. Enjoyed the buzz of feeling like it was a bit of a race rather than a completely solo run, thanks a mil for organising OOnegative!

Will send a donation now, just going back to find the link

So basically a lot of you fookers owe me big time for the motivation factor.

Don't mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

17:27 for me on the second attempt, with the massive cavaet that the run was done in vaporflys. Took delivery of a pair for the first time a week or two ago and was curious to give them a try. Back in the box they go now until the next "real" race.

Aborted my first attempt about halfway through after going off like an over excited puppy - first mile done in 5:06, four seconds off my mile pb :rolleyes: gave myself a few mins rest and then started from scratch at a more realistic effort.

Fair play to OONegative for organising this, great initiative and donation to very worthy cause made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Well done everyone, some great times. And thanks to OO for organising. I will make a donation this evening.

I ran 17.09 on a fair looped course. Had a Pacer on a bike which helped, the decent sea breeze didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

I'm off to the "Your worst ever race" thread now. BRB.

510855.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

29.04 for 3.12km, 4 seconds off my 29 prediction but that's okay. Waaaaaaay off where I was a few years ago but that's okay too, fitness will come back with some regular training. Disclaimer, I had a pacer, could not have sustained that effort solo, especially on that route. Delighted to see a sub 9 min mile on mile 3, made good use of the down hill, leaned at the waist and let gravity do it's thing. Had no sprint for the finish though as it was uphill :rolleyes:.

Thanks for organising this B, such a great buzz around here the last week or so and on Strava. Well done to anyone who managed a PB on a TT :eek:.

When's the next one so I can get a decent block of training in between now and then!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

I think I was there just after 8 am. There was no virtual bearded man with a clipboard, nor a few carefully placed virtual supporters to give you the necessary shoutouts and encouragement en route :o

Knowledge of the loop was helpful and a hinderance at the same time if that's possible???

I know what you mean! Strangely enough the Howth Road bit felt the easiest on each loop, normally that's the hardest part for me. Probably because in a usual race that's the quietest, none of those aforementioned supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Murph_D wrote: »
    510855.jpg

Again??!! :D

Again??!! :D

I’m all about sustainability, AM.

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    I know what you mean! Strangely enough the Howth Road bit felt the easiest on each loop, normally that's the hardest part for me. Probably because in a usual race that's the quietest, none of those aforementioned supporters.

It’s also the downhilliest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Aborted my first attemt about halfway through after going off like an over excited puppy - first mile done in 5:06, four seconds off my mile pb :rolleyes:

Ooh. Close to a PB on the mile. I like it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Maybe even race of the year the way things are going!

• Advertisement
Advertisement