Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A/R 5k TT 25th April ‘20.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Oi! How come I'm the only one getting ageist abuse??!!! Did your Ma not teach you to respect your elders :D:D

He's afraid of the real oul' ones !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

juke wrote: »
    He's afraid of the real oul' ones !

Bloody right I am!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Murph_D wrote: »
    It is midnight alright. Out you go.

Well I’m back in so if that’s the case. 24:11 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

Finally got around to the 5K. Thoroughly 'enjoyed' it... Official time 20.35. Very happy with that and spot on more or less with predicted time.

After a bit of a warm up, I went out to start the TT. Had made the decision beforehand to set watch up so I could only see distance and not worry about speed. Set out to at a hard pace. Had been worried about traffic on the roads but they were very quiet and nothing made me have to slow down.... When I checked watch was happy to see the first mile was up, but the breathing was getting a bit harder now. Second mile was flat and managed to maintain speed. Lack of fitness def got to me on mile 3 and I could feel myself starting to loose speed. Luckily the last mile had a favourable downhill and the last 0.2 was a fairly good slope which helped. Unofficial time before I stopped the watch was 20.30, bang on with prediction (any prizes for that?)

Thanks to OO for all his organising efforts and best wishes for your recovery and health, as well as to those who missed out through injury.

Well done to everyone today. Was great seeing all the times all day!!! What's the next challenge?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Thanks for organising and great to take part. I managed a PB (17:42). It was great to have some sort of pre race nerves and to pull on a singlet. I considered sticking on a race number but the missus would have disowned me altogether. I dragged the whole family along for support and some free race photos. Beautiful weather was a bonus.

One thing I’ve learned since marathons have been put on ice is that I maybe should do some more races at 5k - never do them other than an occasional Parkrun training run - and that beer during a race week is ok.

Looking forward to the next one everyone.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Working all day and heading out now. Don't post the final table for an hour please.

Dudda wrote: »
    Working all day and heading out now. Don't post the final table for an hour please.

No final results till tomorrow I’m off to my bed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Like 1 or 2 other's here.I did not enter the race because,i am not on strava.Was out at 6:30am before the wife headed to work,so said i will give it a go.Did 17:28 on a bumby enough route,here in ballyneety,limerick.Well done b.Great idea to keep us all motivated.5:42,5:42,5:32 and 30.91 last bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

How have so many people run PBs solo? Would have thought that was pretty impossible to be honest. Seriously impressive! This thread has been great, I've loved following along. Great idea B. How are you feeling now yourself?

Dudda wrote: »

18:20. Wrecked. Mixed bag. Happy that it's over but would like to have gone sub 18 again. Really struggled on 3&4km.

Well done B. Great idea and wouldn't have done this without you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Only catching up with boards now as had a busy day after this morning's fun.
    I came home in 22:23, maybe a few seconds quicker but I let the watch run to 5:02KM just so Strava wouldn't play silly buggers with the two 180 degree turns I had to do in my route. I am happy enough with it as I said I'd give sub 22 a go as have never done that outside of a race or parkrun before.
    In the last bit of prep I did a final easy run with some strides last night before making a late decision on the route I would race, I'd not fully measured the course out to have my bearings but I train a lot on the road and I knew my two turnabout points but not exactly where I would finish. I took my chances that I would not have to step into the ditch for a tractor or lorry and that turned out to be the case. Two cars enroute were not an issue though they did probably wonder who the tool in the Ireland singlet was and what he was flogging himself for.
    The race starting at 10am sharp, race director had corralled all the runners into the starting area with a few minutes to go and after a 10 second countdown from when the clock hit 10am we were off. I took the lead early on and managed to keep onto it throughout. It would have been nice to have someone to chase or work with but I was all on my lonesome for this. Saying that I'd mentioned it in passing in a club Whatsapp group last night that I was doing a time trial at 10am today and around 10 more of them decided to do the same thing, they've given me credit for the great idea but no way (they are not on boards) so thanks a million for putting this together today B, recover well and fast. You may not realize the value of the endorphins you released for people through racing today so can imagine people are happier with their lot tonight than they have been in quite a while.

My splits of 4:12, 4:21, 4:31, 4:45, 4:26 show the struggles in the 3rd and 4th KM. Was starting to feel sorry for myself around half way but just thought 10 minutes or so hard running and it'll be done. Knowing others were out doing the same thing today was a huge help. I might not have got the sub 22 I was aiming for but it's the fastest time I've done a solo 5K in by easily 2-3mins I reckon. In fact it brings me back a bit to when I did my couch to 5K and hammering myself alone the canal in Sallins trying to get sub 30 (pulled a calf the first time I tried it to do that, my first running injury back in August 2013).
    Donation made to little blue heroes and I'd made one as well to do it for dan too.

Some great times posted here and even if DCM goes ahead this year, this is the thread and race of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done to everyone today, great performances.
    i erred on the side of caution as the calf which has been giving me a few issue in the past few weeks, has not been behaving since my H/M last weekend even though it gave me no problems at the time. Hindsight is a great thing

Anyway I made my donation and might give it a bash next week just out of curiosity
    Well done B great idea. Mind yourself and hope you’re well down the recovery road

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Alorra

Great thread, great idea 😊will hopefully get to do this over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Younganne wrote: »
    Well done to everyone today, great performances.
    i erred on the side of caution as the calf which has been giving me a few issue in the past few weeks, has not been behaving since my H/M last weekend even though it gave me no problems at the time. Hindsight is a great thing

Anyway I made my donation and might give it a bash next week just out of curiosity
    Well done B great idea. Mind yourself and hope you’re well down the recovery road

Well hopefully myself, yourself, Beepbeep and the rest of the DNS' can have a crack at it when the oul bodies allow and belatedly add ourselves to the results. :)

So so jealous of you all today. Such a great race day buzz in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Lazare wrote:
    So so jealous of you all today. Such a great race day buzz in here.

Plenty more to come. Reckon this is the way forward for the rest of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭Lazare

Plenty more to come. Reckon this is the way forward for the rest of the year

One great thing about it was it was not a lot different to a real race day in here.

The same waiting for reports to trickle in buzz.

I think you're right, it's the way forward for a while, but we've discovered today that it's a pretty good way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

55 kudos on Strava! I think that's my record.
    Oh, the vanity...

OOnegative wrote: »
    No final results till tomorrow I’m off to my bed!!

Can someone wake OOnegative so we can get these results?

Loved the after-party. Anyone else a bit groggy or hungover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

5 hours sleep, hungover and kids, ugh. When's my next run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

Lazare wrote: »
    One great thing about it was it was not a lot different to a real race day in here.

The same waiting for reports to trickle in buzz.

I think you're right, it's the way forward for a while, but we've discovered today that it's a pretty good way forward.

Yes I remember thinking yesterday morning that it did feel quite like a 'normal' race. Certainly in terms of preparation 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

IvoryTower wrote: »
    5 hours sleep, hungover and kids, ugh. When's my next run

Save me the exact same response.

One beer last night and first take away in 2 months. Pretty wild.

I ended up merging my effort into the DoItForDan campaign which the GAA club were doing this weekend and donated there. I'll make a donation to the other charity now too though so as not to be awkward.

They were looking for people to run 3 km and post their times and then add all the distances up. My fastest 3 km split was 3:39. It'll be interesting to see what similar efforts there are within the club too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Really enjoyable thread, a real tonic to read the posts here and watch the strava feed yesterday, some serious times!

Did mine on Friday as I was having a BBQ for the others half’s birthday that evening and I couldn’t say I wasn’t joining her for a few (many) beverages as I was doing a virtual 5k with a bunch of online lunatics the next day. Ran 19:36 and suffered, 7 seconds off predicted time so about right for where I’m at.

Seriously considering doing it every week to ‘race’ myself fit and become accustomed to that discomfort only shorter races bring.

Huge kudos to Oonegitive for his efforts, too class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Didnt go well for me, DNF'ed after 1.7 miles. Went out too fast for the first mile and resulted in a disaster of a second mile, pulled out as I was passing where I had left my stuff, too easy to drop out on a looped course. You really have to be hyped up for a TT, and last weekend I think I wasted it rather than this weekend.

Still donated and really appreciative of B for getting the ball rolling on this one, great buzz on here and Strava, bunch of legends.

Boards 5k TT Results:

Female Top 3:

1.Hedgehoggy - 20.34 F35
    2. Laineyfrecks - 20.36 F40
    3. Sussex18 - 20.54 F40

F:

1. ReeReeG - 21.56
    2. blackbird86 26.45*
    3. Hannibal Smith - 35.42*

F35:

1. career move - 21.51
    2. laura ac3 - 26.30

F40:

1. ariana' - 22.55
    bluesquare - DNS

F45:

1. Annie get your Run - 29.04
    YoungAnne - DNS

F50:

1. juke 32.31

Male Top 3:

1. zico10 - 16.24 M35
    2. ultrapercy - 16.38 M45
    3. 66_Lad - 16.50 M40

M:

1. pconn062 - 17.09
    2. KSU - 17.40
    3. crisco10 - 18.33
    4. woody1 - 20.01*
    5. token56 - 20.28
    6. yiddo1882 - 22.02
    7. Damo2K9 - DNF
    deconduo - DNS

M35:

1. Lambay Island - 16.56
    2. MYBAD(afka Mellow Yellow 26.2) - 17.13
    3.ClashCityRocker - 17.27
    4.healy1835 - 17.30
    5. Mr McPhisto - 17.48
    6. Diablo Verde - 17.59
    7. Swashbuckler - 18.06
    8. Dubh Geannain - 18.10
    9. Ivory Tower - 18.15
    10. djemba djemba - 18.22
    11. Dudda - 18.24
    12. quickfeet - 18.29
    13. duffyshuffle - 19.44
    14. justdoit - 19.55
    15. Guill - 21.49
    16. py - 22.14
    17. Omeceron - 22.18
    18. diego_b - 22.23

dickidy, racersedge and Butterbeans -DNS

M40:

1. Marty Bird - 17.27
    2. Treviso - 17.48
    3. shotgunmcos 18.53
    4. wookiesleep - 19.00
    5. Singer - 19.46
    6. ofthelord - 19.56
    7. Mister Jinx - 20.03
    8. Ecoenergy - 20.09
    9. Zebra3 - 22.22
    10. mister paul - 23.26
    11. adrian522 - 26.30

Lazare, OOnegative, average_runner, dangerous quack, spc78 and ComicBookGuy - DNS

M45:

1. PaulieYifter - 17.42
    2. AMK(aka 2 Tries) - 17.56
    3. Krusty_Clown - 18.18
    4.Slow_Runner - 20.38
    5. WubbleWubble - 21.11
    6. DeepBlue - 21.16
    7. Mr Skinny - 21.42
    8= Kurt Godel, coogy, jamule - DNF

sideswipe, BeepBeep67 - DNS

M50:

1. dna_leri - 17.40
    2. Itziger - 18.36
    3. skyblue46 - 19.13
    4. TFBubendorfer - 19.44
    5. MisterDrak - 20.37
    6. snailsong - 20.55
    7. speedy44 - 21.43

dna_leri - DNS

M55:

1. Murph_D - 21.03
    2. EnPassant - 23.42

M60:

1. Pherekydes - 31.36

* - I wasn't sure of age category.

Some will notice there times are different to what they posted, some of you had to be separated as two or more ran the same time and others were just taking the pi$$!! Results are final, i'm not changing any positions on what's posted above. If you don't agree where i placed you, i don't care, it was only a bit of crack. If i missed someone i sincerely apologise. Few special awards now:

The 'I need to be thought how to use a Garmin Award' - this goes to coogy, who stops there watch at 3.01 miles to run 5k:D:D.

The 'I'm a BIG DIVA Award' - this goes to AMK, like come on, two tries to run 5k!!!!

The 'I'm a bloody freak of nature Award' - this goes to Lambay Island, who runs 16.56 for 5k at 6.04am or 5.04am my time:eek::eek:.

The "Thanks for sharing Award' - this goes to Hannibal Smith for kindly sharing there 5K TT experience yesterday, made my day.

That's it folks, i hope ye enjoyed the thread, some super performances out there yesterday. Thanks one and all for taking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Not sure why I got DNS but maybe cos I did not post up here.
    Conditions were perfect for racing on Saturday morning, preparation went well. Took day off Wed after 20 day streak and did easy run with strides on Thurs and Friday. My 5K sessions were all a bit faster than 3:30 /km pace for 17:30 target so I was hopeful of a better result. Did not feel great on warm-up but that's often the way with race day.
    Started hard but checked my watch after few hundred meters and I thought I was in the right range. There's a hill before the 1st km and I had to work a bit. Split at 1K was 3:17 - too fast. I reached the mid-way turn-around in under 8:40, still on track for 17:20 but I knew I was goosed. With just over 1K to go, I considered dropping out but I have never DNF'd though there was still that hill to go. I struggled up. Normally I have a finishing kick but there was nothing left in the legs for the last 800m. Finished in 17:40, 30s slower than last 5K race. Even though the route was tough (44m elevation according to Strava) it is still amazing how much tougher it is in a time trial v's a race.
    Thanks to OOnegative et al. Roll on the mile TT.

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    Not sure why I got DNS but maybe cos I did not post up here.
    Conditions were perfect for racing on Saturday morning, preparation went well. Took day off Wed after 20 day streak and did easy run with strides on Thurs and Friday. My 5K sessions were all a bit faster than 3:30 /km pace for 17:30 target so I was hopeful of a better result. Did not feel great on warm-up but that's often the way with race day.
    Started hard but checked my watch after few hundred meters and I thought I was in the right range. There's a hill before the 1st km and I had to work a bit. Split at 1K was 3:17 - too fast. I reached the mid-way turn-around in under 8:40, still on track for 17:20 but I knew I was goosed. With just over 1K to go, I considered dropping out but I have never DNF'd though there was still that hill to go. I struggled up. Normally I have a finishing kick but there was nothing left in the legs for the last 800m. Finished in 17:40, 30s slower than last 5K race. Even though the route was tough (44m elevation according to Strava) it is still amazing how much tougher it is in a time trial v's a race.
    Thanks to OOnegative et al. Roll on the mile TT.

Your time never appeared on the Strava group yesterday and I can’t check your activity as it’s set to private, I’ll include you in the results now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Your time never appeared on the Strava group yesterday and I can’t check your activity as it’s set to private, I’ll include you in the results now.

Thanks, must be some bug there, had marked it as public :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Boards 5k TT Results:

That's it folks, i hope ye enjoyed the thread, some super performances out there yesterday. Thanks one and all for taking part.

Whadya mean that's it?! No date for the next event? You've got us all hooked now you can't just cut us off cold turkey :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

I did run as well after a bit of confusion . I’m ok not being on the results - as thankful to have had a bit of motivation to run fast .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Haahaa thanks Oneg. Glad I shared now :D

Sadly things haven't ended there. I've downloaded a training plan from Garmin Connect :( Stupid thread :mad: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Ah ref! That's because I ran 60 metres past the finish line before stopping me watch. Schnakey shenanigans :P

Never mind though seriously :D

Well done again. Hope your back to 100% when the next one is organised...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Great thread. Such a positive boost to the forum after the gloomy other thread.

Thank you again B and fingers crossed you are back for the next installment. Perhaps a poll to decide its fate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Thanks for the top spot, OO. With AG grading, I didn't think I was going to get it. I think we need to to knock this on its head now, and I might have done enough to reclaim my 2018 performance of the year award.:D

Thank you again B and fingers crossed you are back for the next installment. Perhaps a poll to decide its fate?

Good suggestion actually. I was thinking a 10k but a poll would be fairer.

Another option is we could have multiple TTs in a weekend so a group of people competing against each other in a Mile TT for example, and others running a 10k, others a 5k etc. Might be overkill though. Lol

Thanks again B for setting this 5k TT up. Really was a great day yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Ah ref! That's because I ran 60 metres past the finish line before stopping me watch. Schnakey shenanigans :P

Never mind though seriously :D

Well done again. Hope your back to 100% when the next one is organised...

I feel your pain...and then to be labelled as a pi$$ taker :eek:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I feel your pain...and then to be labelled as a pi$$ taker :eek:

I was being kind, I could have called you a lot worse.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Thanks for doing the results Barry. Great job :D

Maybe progress now to either 5mile/10k like the Race Series? Leave it till the beginning/mid June so people can get another block of training into the legs? Possibly risk losing people if you go higher distance wise but that’s just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Age group would be m40. But that's a tougher category so I'll happily stay in the one I'm in. As for other distances I don't mind but I def need about 2 weeks for my legs to recover.

OOnegative wrote:
    Maybe progress now to either 5mile/10k like the Race Series? Leave it till the beginning/mid June so people can get another block of training into the legs? Possibly risk losing people if you go higher distance wise but that’s just my opinion.

Yeah was thinking first or second week in June to give people six weeks or so. 5 mile is a nice distance too.

Maybe a half marathon towards the end of the year. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Itziger

Lads, would it be an idea to do a Mile soon and then move up to the 10k? I'd nearly do a Mile next weekend or the one after now that we have a bit of 'speed' in the legs. There's not many on here who run that distance normally.

Just an idea.

Itziger wrote: »
    Lads, would it be an idea to do a Mile soon and then move up to the 10k? I'd nearly do a Mile next weekend or the one after now that we have a bit of 'speed' in the legs. There's not many on here who run that distance normally.

Just an idea.

Second the mile idea, a distance I’ve never done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Just an idea.

Definitely be game for the mile, the classsic distance. Just to feel that lactic build up in the legs on the last 400m :D
    Not starting any form of speedwork though for another week so...... ;)

Speedy44 wrote: »
    Definitely be game for the mile, the classsic distance. Just to feel that lactic build up in the legs on the last 400m :D
    Not starting any form of speedwork though for another week so...... ;)

Says the track fairy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Great work B.You really brighten'ed up, a boring as feck,last few week's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

My view would be not to rush into the next one otherwise the format risks losing its appeal. Personally I would probably prefer to try next a shorter distance (mile) but I have a feeling the majority will prefer to go longer. How about this to try and accommodate both: aim for a 5 mile / 10 km in 6 or perhaps even 8 weeks to give people time to build up to it, but also have a mile TT in 3 or 4 weeks as a stepping stone? Just an idea.

I wonder how well longer distances (10 mile / HM) would work in a TT format, especially if there are still movement restrictions in place, but who knows what things will be like in a couple of months' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Just an idea.

Can we wait until at least the weekend after next? Or maybe a few weeks away and those with a bit of experience could post up a mini mile training plan??

We've a long way to go with this COVID-19 thing so plenty of time to fit in a few more distances in the coming months...

Definitely not opposed to a Mile TT. Would people rather they were split out or could we have them on the same weekend and people could choose which one to do?

I realise I'm making the fatal error of seeking a consensus on this. Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭crisco10

Personally I think a mile would be craic. Have never done it.

And in a few weeks to try some mile specific training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Just a spit ball idea but maybe use results from the last TT to seed teams (can add anyone who missed last one and rely on there honesty for an accurate prediction of fitness)

4 runners, 3 runners running 10k with top seeded runner doing 12.195k.

Team aspect could just add an extra dynamic and total distance might keep the marathoners sane this year :D.

(seperate of course to a mile TT;))

Advertisement